Best Computer Pranks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ggavinmoss

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Freshman year my friends and I would edit binaries like winword.exe and change the title in the titlebar to be inappropriate, childish things. We also filled the startup folder to the brim, and used Back Orifice.

-geoff

ThisIsMatt

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Get a box of self strike matches, a bottle of clear nail polish, and a floppy disk. Scrape off match end shavings into a dust onto a piece of paper, open the disk up, put a very light coat of nail polish on the disk surface, coat it with match end shavings, let it dry, put the disk back together, give to him to try in his computer.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Why not just set power on passwords and lock your system before you go anywhere, then there won't be much he can do without you knowing it, and it'll put an end to the shenanigans (sooner than if not).

or,

Download some odd wave files and set task scheduler to play them at odd times.

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
Get a box of self strike matches, a bottle of clear nail polish, and a floppy disk. Scrape off match end shavings into a dust onto a piece of paper, open the disk up, put a very light coat of nail polish on the disk surface, coat it with match end shavings, let it dry, put the disk back together, give to him to try in his computer.

LMAO

ucdbiendog

Platinum Member
Sep 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Joeyman
rearrange the keys on his keyboard

better yet, leave the keys, but just remap them in the registry, so none of them are the same. have to back up registry though

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
I set my roommates startup screen to goatse.... so it would show goatse everytime his computer was booting into windows

Frosty3799

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Winchester
Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt

LMAO

I tried that once just for fun with an old floppy drive, it didn't actually start the fire it was supposed to :(

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
Download some odd wave files and set task scheduler to play them at odd times.
Change the keyboard mode to Dvorak mode.
Edit the hosts file.
Tape the bottom of the mouse (how does this annoy anyone?)
Turn his brightness and contrast all the way down.
Add a shortcut to shutdown.exe in their startup folder. (create a shortcut on desktop to "shutdown.exe -r -t 10 -f")
Take a screenshot of his desktop, then hide all his desktop icons. Make the screenshot his wallpaper.
If he's familiar with the blue screen of death, you can get that screensaver, put it on then disconnect his keyboard and mouse before he gets back.
Setting the mouse double-click speed to the max. Everything still works except all double-clicks have the effect of a single-click.
You can always go to the control panel and change his mouse to a left handed mouse configuration.
Change his fonts to wingding or something like that too.

Missing any?

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
pick up his computer over your head and smash it on the ground. guaranteed crowd pleaser.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
change his background to goatse then alter the registry settings to hide the desktop tab in properties

ragiepew

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
we one-upped the screenshot his desktop one... we did that and then wrote a script file (vbs) that killed explorer w/o any warning. We then placed the script file in the startup, set the desktop as the sceen capture, and killed explorer.

For fun, the sceenshot we took even had the code of the vbs file open so that the user could have a chance on figuring it out... they didnt.

Everytime a user reboots... bam explorer gets killed and they never know :):):p

kag

Golden Member
May 21, 2001
www.boloxe.com
Most of these pranks are funny, but if I were to try them on my roommate, it wouldn't be any fun cuz he always asks me when his computer doesn't work the way it should.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: kag
Most of these pranks are funny, but if I were to try them on my roommate, it wouldn't be any fun cuz he always asks me when his computer doesn't work the way it should.

yah, id love to do it at work but im support/network admin.. theyd just come to me crying =\

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: ggavinmoss
Freshman year my friends and I would edit binaries like winword.exe and change the title in the titlebar to be inappropriate, childish things. We also filled the startup folder to the brim, and used Back Orifice.

-geoff

hahaha