Best Car (including sports cars, vans, etc)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm referencing the 3rd generation ones. Anand says they're unreliable too...he's a pretty good source :D

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
hehe, yeah, i bet...also, the new corvette looks suspiciously like them, but that's not a bad thing...

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< hehe, yeah, i bet...also, the new corvette looks suspiciously like them, but that's not a bad thing... >>

Thank you, another person that agrees with me on the design stealing Corvette ;) Although the Corvette is WAYYYYYYYY less successful with the design :p

anton

Banned
Sep 15, 2000
for offroad I will go with Range Rover
or Land Rover Defender ;) (not as much electronics as in Range Rover , so it will be fine in waters...if you ever saw Camel Trophy, u know what I mean )

for the luxury cars I'll go with Mercedes 3'rd series ... as &quot;some&quot; rich people in my former country used to say : &quot;There are cars and there are Mercedes's&quot; ;-)

and in sport cars , I'll go with Lambordgini Diablo , but I don't know many stuff about sport cars ...

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999

<< 1. Lexus GS400 (#1 because it can be afforded by most people) >>

Afforded by most people? Where are you from? Obviously somewhere rich because where I'm from that's just not true!

Anyways - on to my list:
1. Skyline R34/GTR - cmon, you gotta admit that this car is plain out SICK
2. Lamborghini Diablo Evo GT1 - Twin-turbo V12: any questions?
3. Dodge Viper GTS(or RT/10 I'll take either) - Modern American Muscle at its finest - complete with sickening amounts of torque.

GroundOO

Mar 14, 2000
Yeah, yeah I know the Corvette is getting old, everyone and their uncle has 3. That doesn't make it less of a car! But anyway that's the reason I'm getting a Shelby Cobra when I can afford one instead. Dare you to tell me thats overdone!

Chris

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
Extra - The Nissan Skyline is one of the fiercest cars to ever come out of Japan, 4WD with an engine that can be easily modified to put out over 500HP (some have been known to go over 1000HP). Bottom line, the only other car in its class that can give it competition (in Japan) is the Toyota Supra. It's an absolute beast:

Here's a Pic

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
For a new sports car got to go with the Z06 with a 6lb blower you still don't go over 55K and you swat it all.

For a classic sports car got to go with the 69 Camero.. a Mustang with the CobraJet will work too

For Economy car, Honda Civic, Reliable, Cheap and 1 fart in the gas tank will make certian you get off the side of the road and to the next station.

For 4X4 Dodge PowerWagon--Pre Christler Junk you know WW2 Powerwagon.. can't go over 45Mph top speed but you could climb a tree with it.

For a old man in his mid-life crisis years anything from Europe will work, Except VW's

The Ultimate party machine get a class A Diesel pusher

and if you need to make allot of jumps while running away from the police I suggest a Dodge Charger

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
Ah Extra, the Nissan Skyline GTR is a 'Group A' 'homogulation special' ***, made in very limited numbers with a 480HP (SAE) twin turbo/inter-cooled, 24 valve (4 valve per cylinder) DOHC 6 in-line engine &amp; AWD (constant 4WD, with torque automatically distributed to all the wheels in the perfect balance to maximise traction, so if a wheel looses traction, more power is sent to the other 3 wheels, for a good nuetral/slight oversteer balance, the default setting was about 67% at the back &amp; &amp; 33% at the front), 4 wheel steering, multi-link independent suspension on all wheels &amp; antilock breaks (which is no deal now, but when the GTR first came out over 12 years ago it was a big deal). The Skyline blitzed 'Group A', &amp; this one one of the reasons the 'Group A' racing Series was replaced as the premier Touring Car class, by the '2 litre Tourers' (Such as the BTCC).

***Made in limited numbers to match the minimum specified number for a car to be consided a production car for a production racing series, so if a formula/class said that a minmum of say 200 or 1500 or whatever cars have to be made on the production line with the same/almost the same specs as the racing car, then those cars are referred to as a homogulation special, the Ford Seirra Cosworth was also a homgulation special for Group A racing, a formula where only a limited amount of modifications are allowed. So the manufacturers, would then put into production the bare minimum of cars specially modified so then those modds were legal on the track. For 'Group A' they had to make at least 1500 such cars for it to be considered a production car. The BMW M3 started out as a 'Group A' homogulation special too. BTW, there were a number of post-factory mods allowed under 'Group A' specs, so it wasnt a production racing series. Production car racing does exist, where the only mods allowed relate to brake pads, shockies, tyres (as long as they were street tyres), exhaust &amp; safety equipment. The Ford Falcon GTHO Phase III was a production class homogulation special.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
1. the Yugo (turbo edition!)
2. AMC Pacer
3. and last but not least, the three-wheeled car from the Mr. Bean tv series :)

BiggieN

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
i'm gonna vote for a conversion van. if i was driving one..tis would be the best comfort available. i would not cramp myself into a Civic or integra like all the other college kids out there. i have a civic and rde in countless integras. however, i'm not that much of a car enthusiast. i go strickly by comfort level. but if we were going for speed then i'm gonna have to stick with my BMW M5 because it looks so good passing you in it!

-SpYrL-

Nov 5, 1999
Also some nice cars are at My Site.

But my favorite of all has to be the Corvette Indy and CERV III Prototypes. The CERV III made it's debut at the Detroit International Auto Show. The car's mid-engine V8 is a 5.7 liter 32 valve, dual overhead cam LT5 Engine with the addition of twin turbos and internal modifications. Speed 225 MPH , horsepower is rated at 650. (Large Image)

-SpYrL-