Best Buy Returns

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kbaxter

Nov 27, 2001
....not too sure about buying their stock. I think (as others here seem to think) that they really BITE. They've blown three out of four transactions that I've done with them and I've about had it. I'm headed back to Circuit City (gulp).

I'm thinking they could change their name to "Nice Try"....

telstar1

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2001
Speaking of Best Buy ... what is their policy on actually having the best price?
Do they price-match online retailers?

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
They don't pricematch online stores. Only B&M stores in the same state I believe.

NICKel

Golden Member
May 7, 2000
Man, I can't believe how many of us there are in TUCSON!!! Props to the OLD Pueblo!

mscubsfan

Jun 30, 2000
do you guys know if the receiptless return is only good for electronic items? I received some DVDs over xmas that I already had, and was wondering if I could return them to Best Buy without a receipt (of course the DVDs are unopened)....if anyone's tried or knows, please let me know.....thanks!

DanJ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Receiptless returns are kind of up to the CS working. Give it a go; just play stupid and maybe they'll go for it.

Crazy8

Dec 31, 1999
I returned 4 DVDs without receipts and got store credit yesterday. It was surprisingly painless. :) They checked my ID though.

jmcoreymv

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You can return anything EXCEPT open media (regardless if you have a receipt or not). You can only get same title for open media. And you cant return ink cartridges without a receipt no matter what. If you have no receipt you can get store credit or exchange it and they will charge a restocking fee depending on the item. If its a digital camera, notebook computer, pda, etc....theres a 15% restocking free. And the way the credit system works is you get the credit for the lowest amount that item has been priced at within the past month.

dakata24

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2000
is store credit only good for b&m or can is their like a code so you can use it online??

someone got me a 50pk spindle of cdrs, but i have a ton of Fuji/Verbatim Datalife Plus from the past few months, plus i got that $5 coupon in my email like some people..

WileCoyote

Aug 4, 2000
haha, you would be surprised how many items you buy from best buy are actually returns. we put a lot of the stuff right back on the shelves, even with a little masking tape if necessary. this is the store policy. all the stuff that is missing parts and damaged packaging, that's the only discounted stuff you see, so naturally it will be in bad shape. bb policy is to take 10% off a returned item. every 7 days, an additional 10% is taken off from the original retail price. if pieces are missing they take additional off. stuff that is returned because it is not working is marked as "devo" and mailed back to the manufacturer. i feel sorry for the customer service people - their department is understaffed this time of year. they are forced to look at products they know nothing about and decide on whether it's complete or not. we had a rio 600 mp3 player returned to the pc/ho dept. without it's usb cable (although the techs should have seen this). ah well, you can still find a manager and try to bargain the price down a bit.

JRez

May 15, 2001
Drakkon,

Bump for a good point. Following your lead, I stopped by mine since I ordered something online using the $5 coupon. Checked the video card isle since my MB doesn't like the AIW Radeon. They had a GF2Pro for $99 open box. It was sitting above the WRONG PRICE TAG. Bothered Matt and asked for a better price reduction. He knocked $10 off to bring it to $89. $120 card for $90 is a nice deal and fixes the problem I was having :)

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Just make sure you check the product in store, especially if it's a video card or something small that you can open and verify the identity of, I bought one about a week ago, a ti 500 gf3 and there was an gf2 mx inside...BE CAREFUL..

amdmaxx

Jan 6, 2001
Well said...

<< bestbuy.com is one of the phucken gayest mother phucken online retailers in the Phucken world.

Everything I phucken order gets canceled.

everything named breastbuys should be nuked.
>>

sphereman

Apr 6, 2001
i heard you can only do receiptless return 3 times. i know they swipe your driver's license each time you do a receiptless return.
is this true? if so, is this 3 times for each store or for all stores?

GiGoLo

Oct 1, 2001
every best buy in austin or houston doesn't carry the z560's. are you sure it's the right one? if so, thats a damn good deal. i just got in on the dell deal for 156 w/headphones and the joystick, but i don't really have a use for either of them. i'd much rather save on just the speakers by themselves... just my 2cents ;)

andrey

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
He He, I went to Best Buy in Tucson, AZ as well (the one on Broadway across Park Mall) and they had quite a few items marked as "open box". Mostly VHS, DVD players and .... eMachines + Compaqs :)

cuteybunny

Banned
May 23, 2001
The found out eventually i see why they don't anymore.

<< they are also doing no receipt returns which is awesome. I bought a rockford fosgate amplifier for $390 when i was employed there.. went to get a no receipt return b/c I had no receipt, and they gave me 899 plus tax credit =). So if you know somebody who works there, they can get you a great deal through december 31st, which is when i think they discontinue the no receipt returns. >>

mrEvil

Golden Member
Nov 2, 1999
Again, why is this a HOT deal? Stopped by the crappy store today and noticed that they had several of the PS2 Force Feedback wheels by Logitech, which were obvious returns, sitting in the new pile with nothing marked on them as being returned. Let's see the first give away...the tape that is marked that it has been inspected by Bust Buy.

Again, someone explain the logic to me of this being a hot deal when you can find this open box junk year around there. If someone can do that, then I think I could explain why my Cornhuskers deserve to be in the BCS Championship Game after the mauling they took.

It's like the local car dealers and their "Best Sale of the Year"......until next weekend.....

AZGamer

Golden Member
May 14, 2001

<< my first try of posting in this section Next week its on up to the Fry's in phoenix :)) happy huntin'! >>

If you are expecting knowledgeable people with modern parts, don't go to the Fry's in East Phoenix/Tempe.

Croton

Banned
Jan 18, 2000
i went to best buy to return a dvd that i got for xmas...

i got back store credit in the form of one of their gift cards.

sweet.

bygdaddy

Nov 28, 1999

<< << bestbuy.com is one of the phucken gayest mother phucken online retailers in the Phucken world. >>

Man, I hate it when someone candy coats everything they say. :D