Berlin terrorist suspect caught-dead update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
raildogg is being carelessly inflammatory and with this kind of nonsense posting, I wouldn't pay him any mind.

With the amount of refugees and other potentials that Germany and France have let in, this in all honesty is NOT COMMON. Think of their population or better yet, just lump it into typical traffic deaths and this is only sensationalized because of the who "Muslims" and the why "Islam". If these numbers are gaining any sort of traction with your personal beliefs, just remember that Islamophobia is basically a brain defect where we fail to grasp the context of statistics.

Between these two attacks there will be less than 100 deaths, these two countries will combine for almost 7,000. Get a grip.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
The fact is that most Muslims on some level share the same ideals and grievances as ISIS. What is not happening is Muslims being driven to disbelief by terrorist attacks, which is what I find most disturbing. That means that they are not bothering to reflect or take responsibility.
Reflect or take responsibility? In what world are we win?

Please, this world is run by the few. These people have trillions of dollars of military equipment, trillions of dollars of nuclear weapons and control trillions of dollars in other financial assets.

And you are saying we should be scared of this so-called Muslim boogeyman? Because the media and the puppet politicians say so?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I would, why wouldn't you?

In either case, religion is the primary cause, or even motive. People that think Islamic terror is the principle threat to our nation are silly, several deaths per year in America out of thousands is almost nothing, but Islam is still the cause.

Poverty is the cause. If all it took was Islam then Indonesia would be a charred, Mogadishu-like husk of a country and not the prosperous place it is today. Over 300 different ethnic groups, and in a muslim country. A bit over due for Allah's Cleansing Fire, no?

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
raildogg is being carelessly inflammatory and with this kind of nonsense posting, I wouldn't pay him any mind.

With the amount of refugees and other potentials that Germany and France have let in, this in all honesty is NOT COMMON. Think of their population or better yet, just lump it into typical traffic deaths and this is only sensationalized because of the who "Muslims" and the why "Islam". If these numbers are gaining any sort of traction with your personal beliefs, just remember that Islamophobia is basically a brain defect where we fail to grasp the context of statistics.

Between these two attacks there will be less than 100 deaths, these two countries will combine for almost 7,000. Get a grip.
Hey, we're not arguing here. I am with you!

Just look at these figures compared to what the West has inflicted on the Middle East after 9/11.

Those Muslims sure have a lot of restraint when you see how much damage the West has inflicted upon them.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
This is a terrible tragedy, and right off the bat people are being jerks about it with their replies. Sigh.

Reactions: Atreus21

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Reflect or take responsibility? In what world are we win?

Please, this world is run by the few. These people have trillions of dollars of military equipment, trillions of dollars of nuclear weapons and control trillions of dollars in other financial assets.

And you are saying we should be scared of this so-called Muslim boogeyman? Because the media and the puppet politicians say so?

No one is making up the very real terrorist attacks which have occurred this past year.

And terrorism is akin to a hate crime. It cannot be analogized to bath tub slips.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Poverty is the cause. If all it took was Islam then Indonesia would be a charred, Mogadishu-like husk of a country and not the prosperous place it is today. Over 300 different ethnic groups, and in a muslim country. A bit over due for Allah's Cleansing Fire, no?

That's the thing many "Islam is to blame" types like to ignore, really. It's not that Islamic extremism isn't a problem, it's that there are numerous factors that create it -- and the religion by itself is usually low on the ladder or irrelevant. Poverty drives people to join groups like ISIS because they see it as their best shot at a better life. Conflicting factions matter, too. ISIS is Sunni, so it's a way for disaffected Sunnis in Iraq to exact revenge on the Shi'a camp, which kicked many Sunnis out of power when Hussein fell. There's also crass opportunism, the apocalypse cult nature of the group... ISIS, at least, is not the natural product of Islam, it's a product of economic and political tensions that have lasted for decades.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004

Poverty can be a cause too, sure, but it's hardly the only one (and I doubt it's a major one at all where Western nations are concerned). Poor Buddhist and Hindu regions don't commit terrorism nearly at the same rate Abrahamic religions do. Further, terrorism is largely sponsored by the wealthy and educated (e.g. Osama bin Laden), and often carried out by middle-class individuals (e.g. the many engineers and scientists involved with 9/11). The poor are usually content to plug away with whatever little they have because that's all they know, whereas those that have achieved social consciousness and are capable of evaluating the world according to their own experiences (an uncomfortable mixture of Western degeneracy and Islamic ideals, both fed to them by the puppet-masters) feel they are capable of making a radical change in the world. It's all about maintaining or expanding power.

I agree that Indonesia is a great example of stable, non-terroristic practitioners of Islam. It has also been relatively shielded from foreign intervention.

Jul 9, 2009
The only good news in all this is that it didn't interrupt Obama's golf game.
"The President and his motorcade departed the Kailua neighborhood where the First Family rents a vacation home at 10:21 a.m. Spectators on the street threw shakas and recorded photos or video on cell phones as the motorcade made the 10-minute drive to Mid-Pacific Country Club, where the President will be golfing under cloudy skies."
http://www.mediaite.com/online/obam...n-berlin-attack-and-russian-ambassador-death/

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I don't really view Indonesia favorably. I guess for an Islamic country it is relatively moderate, but that's only compared to other Muslim countries, which is like being the smartest in a special ed class.

There were the Bali bombings there, and the 1998 anti-Chinese riots. There are reports of growing religious extremists there wanting to enact sharia into law. That sort of thing.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
That's the thing many "Islam is to blame" types like to ignore, really. It's not that Islamic extremism isn't a problem, it's that there are numerous factors that create it -- and the religion by itself is usually low on the ladder or irrelevant. Poverty drives people to join groups like ISIS because they see it as their best shot at a better life. Conflicting factions matter, too. ISIS is Sunni, so it's a way for disaffected Sunnis in Iraq to exact revenge on the Shi'a camp, which kicked many Sunnis out of power when Hussein fell. There's also crass opportunism, the apocalypse cult nature of the group... ISIS, at least, is not the natural product of Islam, it's a product of economic and political tensions that have lasted for decades.

Yeah, no. You are projecting your own liberal ideals onto this group. Liberals like to blame everything on poverty and the solution to everything is redistribution.

People join ISIS because it appeals to Islamic ideals. Simple as that. Poor people engage in petty crime. Islamic terrorists are often comfortably middle class.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

Some people would argue that poverty is the result of Islam. Are you aware of what an Islamic education entails?

Lets take Saudi Arabia, from Wiki:

The study of Islam dominates the Saudi educational system. In particular, the memorization by rote of large parts of the Qu'ran, its interpretation and understanding (Tafsir) and the application of Islamic tradition to everyday life is at the core of the curriculum. Religion taught in this manner is also a compulsory subject in several universities.[43] Saudi youth "generally lacks the education and technical skills the private sector needs".[44]Indeed, such control has stifled critical thought, and as a result, the education system does not necessarily foster innovation and creativity; both of which are essential to development.

I don't believe this kind of education will ever lead Islamic countries out of poverty.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
The firearms I own primary point of existence is to hurl lead at mostly non-living targets I enjoy shooting at - the living targets are hunted ethically in that rare occasion I do it in...and that's true probably for the vast majority of firearm owners. It is only a secondary benefit that they're available almost immediately to defend my life/property. It's like...Lefties can't grasp simple concepts either. Now, back to continuing the Lefty mindset:

Man these Assault Trucks that can carry more than 10 square feet of cargo! We need to allow them to only be driven at "common sense" speeds! If only the suppressor on these Assault Vehicles didn't make them so quiet, people wouldn't be hurt! And again with the scary black paint job: Why must they be black?! Black makes these Assault Trucks more scary (zomg)! If the steering wheel on these Assault Trucks could be re-designed to not make them so ergonomic, and thus less useful to the user, maybe that would stop them being so lethal?! OMG we need additional regulations for driving these!

welcome to the world of secondary uses. Some things in the world are unitaskers, others have secondary.

Sure you use your gun at a gun range to practice marksmanship, but it's not the primary intended use of a gun - that is to threaten or deal death or severe bodily harm - to humans or animals. It's also to practice being better with a gun to do just that, satisfy it's primary usage when you may ever need to shoot someone to harm or kill. And just because you practice something does not make it it's primary focus. You are just potentially getting better at using it.

Same with vehicles. There primary intent and usage was to transport humans, animals and things. However we do have car racing, a secondary usage and a sport. Or getting an off-road vehicle and off-roading. That's another recreation use. Using vehicles as a weapon is such a freakishly miniscule usage of the vehicle that it doesn't even register, no matter how sad the results are when it's used that way.

Your blathering about Assault Vehicles is really stupid, even though in your mind it's probably witty. But it's actually quite dumb. It's a stupid analogy, no matter what color you think the paint job of your argument is.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
I don't really view Indonesia favorably. I guess for an Islamic country it is relatively moderate, but that's only compared to other Muslim countries, which is like being the smartest in a special ed class.

There were the Bali bombings there, and the 1998 anti-Chinese riots. There are reports of growing religious extremists there wanting to enact sharia into law. That sort of thing.

Islamic terror still effects them, but it's also largely Muslim-on-Muslim violence, and local. I don't think Indonesia could care less about Western morals as long as we don't try to enforce them. Racial discrimination is a different matter entirely imo.

Some people would argue that poverty is the result of Islam. Are you aware of what an Islamic education entails?

Lets take Saudi Arabia, from Wiki:

I don't believe this kind of education will ever lead Islamic countries out of poverty.

That's certainly one of the more explicitly biased Wiki excerpts I've read, and Saudi Arabia is arguably the most fundamentalist of all Islamic nations. Memorizing the Quran isn't much different from American kids that go to Bible school and do their Awana; there's no reason a person can't do that, and simultaneously memorize whatever they need in order to become a doctor, for example. Depending on national origin, many Muslims actually excel in a Western setting, and increasingly make up our educated professionals.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yeah, no. You are projecting your own liberal ideals onto this group. Liberals like to blame everything on poverty and the solution to everything is redistribution.

People join ISIS because it appeals to Islamic ideals. Simple as that. Poor people engage in petty crime. Islamic terrorists are often comfortably middle class.

Never mind that the group has been widely denounced, including by Sunni leaders. Nope. Has to be Islam. Scapegoating an entire religion is so much easier than actually considering things in context, isn't it?

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Never mind that the group has been widely denounced, including by Sunni leaders. Nope. Has to be Islam. Scapegoating an entire religion is so much easier than actually considering things in context, isn't it?

I am considering things in their context. The context is that the Sunni leaders denouncing ISIS, and before that Al-Queda, tend to be affiliated with the ruling governments in the middle east, and so are bought off.

ISIS has constructed its state in accord with a certain interpretation of Islam. That makes it Islamic. They are an extremist group within Islam, but are still within Islam.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Please keep your cute little words to yourself.

Are you really telling me that America and the trillions of dollars that it spent to murder Iraqis will suddenly leave its investment alone? Why would America waste all its money to only squander it? Because it cares about Iraqi sensibilities? What world do you live in?

Why dont you read about the deal bush made with iraq and why we left. Its in the history books.

You guys are back in charge so I'm sure we will end up in some other dumb war for profit.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Poverty is the cause.

No. If poverty was the cause then you'dexpect this kind of thing to happen in poor countries or poor areas of countries all over the place. Random terrorist attacks are not common in Appalachia ae they? Poorest country in the western hemisphere, Haiti... full of terrorists? No. 9/11 attackers, poor? Nope, wealthy or middle class. Tons of poverty in middle and south america, but no abundance of terrorism. Poverty can play a role in facilitating recruitment or fostering dienchantment, but it is not the cause.

Followers of islam commit an inordinate number of these acts. Its a religion that as currently practiced is simply incompatble with freedom and civilization. With a couple of exceptions, just about every islamic majority country is a tyranny or oppressive disaster. Every country with a significant islamic minority has major problems with coexistence. This is not just some huge coincidence. It's a 1500 religion living in the 21st century. Other religions have largely evolved, but not islam.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
No. If poverty was the cause then you'dexpect this kind of thing to happen in poor countries or poor areas of countries all over the place. Random terrorist attacks are not common in Appalachia ae they? Poorest country in the western hemisphere, Haiti... full of terrorists? No. 9/11 attackers, poor? Nope, wealthy or middle class. Tons of poverty in middle and south america, but no abundance of terrorism. Poverty can play a role in facilitating recruitment or fostering dienchantment, but it is not the cause.

Followers of islam commit an inordinate number of these acts. Its a religion that as currently practiced is simply incompatble with freedom and civilization. With a couple of exceptions, just about every islamic majority country is a tyranny or oppressive disaster. Every country with a significant islamic minority has major problems with coexistence. This is not just some huge coincidence. It's a 1500 religion living in the 21st century. Other religions have largely evolved, but not islam.

If you think about it, Islam is very much a nationality, kind of like "American." Muhammad was a state-builder who set down laws for people. Jesus in contrast was a dissident against a powerful state.

Liberals tend to get suckered by Muslims playing the victim. Well, guess what. Muhammad in his first period was a nice guy playing victim and collecting every little slight and perceived disrespect. Then one day he went out and killed all of his enemies.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
We've been over this. Many, many times. ISIS != Islam.

Would you say 'just christianity at work again' when an alter boy gets raped, or a Dr who provides abortions is assassinated?

It's not really a difficult concept.
So why is your definition of a scientifically unprovable skyfairy belief right and ISIS belief wrong?

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
There's absolute police & media blockade about who did this... you know the one that has been arrested.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
There's absolute police & media blockade about who did this... you know the one that has been arrested.
Maybe, just maybe because there's an actual investigation going on and information being gathered for purposes other than just feeding a news-starved media?

Here's what I wish would happen with things like this (yes I know it'll never happen).

After terrorist/mass killing events I wish we had at least a 48 hour media black out. That's not to say qualified journalists don't get to look into things and document things... they just have to wait a few days to release it. The police and authorities get 48 hours (or more if needed) to investigate unhindered by the rubbernecking public. No rushing to scoop everyone and reporting bullshit, half-facts, rumors, blatant untruths etc.
Hopefully, no politicians going off half-cocked making misinformed politicized statements.

(Exceptions: families of victims involved notified by authorities status of their loved ones.)

After that point: no holds barred. Release to the public *everything known*. No PC cover-ups or fear of stepping on some group of snowflakes' toes.. everything out in the open... hold press conferences and ID suspects, the true motives involved, release everything known.

Now I know in this day and age waiting a whole *gasp!* 48 hours for facts to be gathered and put together and the media speculation mill turned off seems like a freaking lifetime to wait....but who knows? Maybe if such became standard people would get used to waiting a few days but having a more accurate picture at the end of the wait.