Benghazi - the gift that keeps on giving

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Looking forward to how this plays out through the weekend.

It's not going to.

This is a big problem the right has -- they've gone to the "Obama is the devil!" well so many times that nobody outside their echo chamber takes them seriously any more. Too much crying wolf.

Unless there's really a smoking gun here, and I don't see one.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It's not going to.

This is a big problem the right has -- they've gone to the "Obama is the devil!" well so many times that nobody outside their echo chamber takes them seriously any more. Too much crying wolf.

Unless there's really a smoking gun here, and I don't see one.

Nothing but a bunch of smoking assholes.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Unless I totally missed it, the implication is that obama got osama and al queda is done..feather for the admin. This attack gives a pretty clear picture that al queda isn't done so no feather and a black eye(maybe). Whoever thought it was a good idea to lie about the attack goofed, trying to protect the feather. If they had just said it was an organized terrorist attack, I imagine this would have been old news by now.

About right?

if he had said Al Queda did it...it would be old news. What kind of moron would decide to lie about something like this?

I don't think I'll ever be able to understand why people do the things they do. Just tell the freaking truth. Its not that hard.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
This whole story is so utterly convoluted it has no hope of being an impact on the election.

Only someone fully in Obama's camp would say a lie and a failed cover up of the lie about the death of a US Diplomat at the hands of terrorists has no hope of being an impact on the election.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
if he had said Al Queda did it...it would be old news. What kind of moron would decide to lie about something like this?

I don't think I'll ever be able to understand why people do the things they do. Just tell the freaking truth. Its not that hard.

This is Obama you are talking about - he is allergic to telling the truth. Makes him break out and he wants clear skin so he can lie more about how he is going to actually do what he promised to do 4 years ago - but for real this time.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Only someone fully in Obama's camp would say a lie and a failed cover up of the lie about the death of a US Diplomat at the hands of terrorists has no hope of being an impact on the election.

07-minister.jpg

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Only thing I have really heard Obama say is that he wants it investigated and to get to the bottom of the failure.

I think most Americans appreciate knowing fully what took place, prior to saying exactly what occurred. After all Bush took us to war based on bad Intel right?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I'm wondering who in the Obama admin etc. is leaking these emails.

The CIA has been thrown 'under the bus'. The State Dept has been thrown 'under the bus'. Somebody appears to be unhappy about being 'under the bus'.

Fern

Based on the facts presented, it sounds like maybe they belong "under the bus" to the extent that anyone does. The buck stops at the top, but protecting ambassadors and quickly gathering intelligence before and after an event does seem to fall under the area of responsibility of state and the CIA, among others. If we're all playing along with the idea that this is an event that demands retribution against not just the terrorists but Americans who failed to prevent it or offer accurate information quickly enough (and I'd argue that we shouldn't), the CIA and state should be on the list.

To be honest, I'd bet money that a Republican (either elected or just a Republican voter with insider knowledge) leaked the info. The desire among some Republicans to make this into a story capable of sinking Obama is pretty obvious. And I have no doubt that at least SOME Republicans (with admirable exceptions, of course) would do pretty much anything to try to make sure that happens.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Ha...been dealing with the public for 25+ years, people that I've known for many of then, and I'll never understand people. No advantage to lie but they do it any way.

I'm sure you see the same thing in your industry....."I never did that/never touched that.".....yeah, right. So why is it F'd up?

And we're talking about politicians.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
Just because a militant group claims to be behind the attack does not make it true. I would be shocked if a militant group did not claim they were behind that attack. On 9/11/01, there were militants all around the world claiming they were behind the attack. Even in the Palestinian territories. Ironically, Al Qaeda denied they were behind the attack. So, you have to sift through all the noise and find the truth. That takes time.

Bingo. OP refuted soundly in the thread's very first reply.

Last edited:

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Just because a militant group claims to be behind the attack does not make it true. I would be shocked if a militant group did not claim they were behind that attack. On 9/11/01, there were militants all around the world claiming they were behind the attack. Even in the Palestinian territories. Ironically, Al Qaeda denied they were behind the attack. So, you have to sift through all the noise and find the truth. That takes time.

I suppose another way to read this story is "Some Republicans think White House should base intelligent assessments and create public statements based on unsubstantiated terrorist claims".

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Only thing I have really heard Obama say is that he wants it investigated and to get to the bottom of the failure.

This means you put your fingers in your ears and went "lalala In't not listening to you!!!" every time Obama talked about it...that is the only way you could have only heard Obama say he wants it investigated.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
I suppose another way to read this story is "Some Republicans think White House should base intelligent assessments and create public statements based on unsubstantiated terrorist claims".

Well, it worked with Iraq and 911......

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
A real controversy would be if Obama was told of an impending attack on 9/11 and chose to do nothing.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
This is Obama you are talking about - he is allergic to telling the truth. Makes him break out and he wants clear skin so he can lie more about how he is going to actually do what he promised to do 4 years ago - but for real this time.

OMG. I don't know if I've ever seen anything more ironic and amsuing than cybrsage saying that someone else is allergic to the truth! The most dishonest person on this board (and possibly the internet) making claims of someone else being dishonest! Priceless!

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Once again you are being willfully ignorant.

Holy crap, I must rescind my comment regarding cybrsage's post. Him calling someone else a liar is ironic as hell. But spidey calling someone else willfully ignorant! I don't think irony was made to handle situations quite like this. Wow, I mean W-O-W! You've invented new levels of willful ignorance and dare accuse someone else of it? That's like Hitler telling Mel Gibson to go easy on the jews!

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Oh hai!!! If it not thraashman here to spread love and joy, with flowers in his hair and a bow in the small of his back. You smell of lilacs today, thraashman, were you playing in the meadow again?

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Obama administration was watching the attacks, there was no mob. He lied, deceived and covered up.

Then he apologized, then they ran ads appologizing for Americans being mean. Every single time, this president sides with muslim terrorists.

OK incorruptible you should have asked "The president should not side with Muslim terrorists, do you agree"... STFU already and go to bed. You are making a bigger ass of yourself than usual tonight.

Last edited: