Benghazi - the gift that keeps on giving

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
As opposed to opinion pieces from sitting Republican senators and commentators from the Fox News Channel, which are universally accepted as being non-partisan.

The media is supposed to be critical of those in power, especially in our government. Sometimes they are the only defense for corruption and deceit because they have the resources to expose what common people can't. The country has lost sight of this fact because the media has moved into a roll of cheerleader rather than keeping a watchful eye.

I especially loved how Rand said the third debate showed that Romney was the best choice for America, even though Romney spent 90 minutes agreeing with every single specific of Obama's foreign policy.

Please. Its pretty difficult to differentiate yourself from someone who has carried on all of Bush's foreign policy. Obama, with regards to foreign policy, is far more Republican than he is Democrat. Faulting Romney for agreeing with a Republican is silly.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Please. Its pretty difficult to differentiate yourself from someone who has carried on all of Bush's foreign policy. Obama, with regards to foreign policy, is far more Republican than he is Democrat. Faulting Romney for agreeing with a Republican is silly.

Revisionism.

Romney had no problem painting contrasts between himself and Obama for the first 9 months of this year. The problem was that he and his people know that his hawkish attitudes -- created to energize the "base" of knuckledragging morons who currently control the GOP -- were a big turnoff to the center.

So, being someone with no character, no principles and no integrity, he just waltzed into the debate and disavowed everything he's been saying all year.

Fortunately for him, about half the country is too stupid to realize what a fraud he is, or too obsessed with irrational hatred for Obama to care.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
As opposed to opinion pieces from sitting Republican senators and commentators from the Fox News Channel, which are universally accepted as being non-partisan.

I thought CBS, Reuters and CNN were liberally bent and they have been pursuing this story more than FOX. FOX, however, did air a special on the matter that laid out in detail the timeline and the information that was know by then.

Hmmm, I guess Tunisians are vacationing in Benghazi with AKs and RPGs these days. And who would think that Al-Quaeda would think of traveling on false passports, must be a new trend in protest travel.

I know! They were in town to carry out a peaceful protest against crappy American YouTube videos! Or maybe the security video cameras will show us something different. Like the head of Ansar al-Shariah trying to rescue the four dead Americans.

Nothing to see here, nothing at all.

From CBS today -

Updated at 3:58 p.m. ET

TUNIS, TUNISIA A Tunisian man who was arrested in Turkey earlier this month with reported links to the attack on a U.S. consulate in Libya has been returned to Tunisia and is facing terrorism charges, his lawyer said Wednesday.

Ali Harzi was repatriated to Tunisia on Oct. 11 by authorities in Turkey, and a judge issued his arrest warrant, lawyer Ouled Ali Anwar told The Associated Press. He said his client was told by a judge Tuesday that he has been charged with "membership of a terrorist organization in a time of peace in another country."

A person who saw Harzi's court dossier told The Associated Press that prosecutors are linking him to the Sept. 11 attacks on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi that left Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans dead.

He said Harzi is one of two Tunisians arrested Oct. 3 in Turkey when they tried to enter the country with false passports. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information. Harzi's alleged role in the attacks is not clear.

Meanwhile, a U.S. government official told CBS News that American investigators are in possession of some of the security camera video footage recorded during the attack. The official said the footage is of decent quality and investigators are reviewing it.

CBS News correspondent Margaret Brennan reports that the State Department has footage from 10 cameras. The FBI obtained the footage from Libyans who removed it from the consulate compound days after the attack. The footage was recorded on non-infrared cameras and isn't complete.

Anwar denied there was any evidence that Ali "is implicated in the Benghazi attacks." He added his client was not using a fake passport, saying he was used as a "scapegoat to satisfy the Americans."

Earlier this month, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said the U.S. has been looking into the arrests of two Tunisian men being detained in Turkey reportedly in connection with the attack. The State Department in Washington had no further comment on Wednesday.

Tunisian Interior Ministry spokesman Tarrouch Khaled confirmed that Harzi was in custody in Tunis. Khaled told The Associated Press "his case is in the hands of justice," but he would not elaborate further on the case.

The charge against Harzi is punishable by six to 12 years in prison, according to the provisions of the anti-terrorist law in force in Tunisia since 2003.

His arrest comes less than a week after a Libyan Islamist militia commander who a witness and officials say helped lead the deadly assault said that he was at the building that night, but denied he was involved in the attack.

On Thursday, Ahmed Abu Khattala, who describes himself as a founder and commander of the Islamist militia Abu Obaida Bin Jarrah, told The Associated Press by telephone that he went to the consulate to rescue men that he had been informed were trapped inside.

Abu Khattala said that, despite reports of his involvement, he was going about his daily business as a construction contractor in Benghazi.

A Libyan witness interviewed in the aftermath of the attack by the AP said that Abu Khattala was present directing fighters. The witness spoke anonymously for fear of retaliation.

An AP reporter was also shown a camera photo of a long-haired, long-bearded man who was wearing the Afghan-style robe favored by many radicals and whom other Benghazi residents identified as the 41-year-old militia leader. The consulate's gate with barbed wire could be seen in the background.

The New York Times has quoted unnamed Libyan officials as singling out Abu Khattala as a commander in the attack, calling him a leader in the hardline Islamist Ansar al-Shariah militia. Other Libyan witnesses say they saw Ansar al-Shariah trucks mounted with heavy weapons outside the consulate the night of the attack.

On Tuesday, CBS News obtained three email alerts that were put out by the State Department as the attack unfolded.

The third, sent at 6:07 p.m. ET -- roughly two hours after the initial attack began -- contained the subject line "Ansar al-Sharia Claims Responsibilty for Benghazi Attack."

The overlap between Abu Obaida Bin Jarrah and Ansar al-Shariah is not clear. Libya's rebel council moved to disband Abu Obaida Bin Jarrah after the July 2011 assassination of rebel army chief Abdel Fattah Younis, a killing blamed on the Islamist group. Some militiamen say Abu Obaida Bin Jarrah fighters joined Ansar al-Shariah, which rose to prominence during fighting later in the war and was entrusted with security in post-war Benghazi.

In Abu Khattala's account of the night, he was informed by phone that there was a protest at the building and that four men were trapped inside. He and his men went there to rescue them.

Abu Khattala declined to explain further how and why he was called upon to go to the site. Libya's government lacks a strong army and police force and has relied on militias, including in the past Ansar al-Shariah, to keep order.

Last edited:

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I thought CBS, Reuters and CNN were liberally bent and they have been pursuing this story more than FOX.

Pursuing the story is not the same as leveling accusations that the administration lied without any reasonable evidence to back it up. Do you really not understand the difference?

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Pursuing the story is not the same as leveling accusations that the administration lied without any reasonable evidence to back it up. Do you really not understand the difference?

I think you have bought into the Obamaite narrative and will not consider alternatives.

We now do know that there were many lies and those were pushed out by the entire leadership in the White House from Obama through Susan Rice in public forum after public forum.

I guess you need to spin to continue to support your side but the more information that is coming out clarifying what Obama and his entire leadership team knew and how early they knew it (within a couple of hours!) the greater the disjoint with what they actually put out.

I seem to remember that dozens of anti-Bush partisans here screamed for years about Bush taking a couple of minutes to finish a story to some kids after he was told there was the possibility that the World Trade Center had been hit by a plane, even when no one knew for certain that it was an attack until a second plane hit.

Yet here we have Obama, Biden and the entire leadership team sitting in the White House Situation Room, watching video of the attack as it happened, listening to the consulate staff saying they are under attack, that they need backup and then this motley crew does absolutely nothing except when they finally get on a plane to fly to Las Vegas to do some campaign fundraising.

And the silence here at that level of passivity and inaction is deafening.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

What? There's plenty of evidence. The letters requesting security, the letters describing the attack as it was happening, the drone video.

This administration knew it was a terror attack on 9/11, knew it was coming, did nothing about it and then tried to cover it up as some sort of protest over a video.

There's plenty of evidence supporting this. It's worse than watergate, americans died because of this administrations incompetence.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
Here is a very good read on the subject;

http://p.washingtontimes.com/news/2...son-behind-benghazigate/#.UIdhzDA7ZuQ.twitter

The real reason behind Benghazigate

Thanks to intrepid investigative reporting — notably by Bret Baier and Catherine Herridge at Fox News, Aaron Klein at WND.com and Clare Lopez at RadicalIslam.org — and information developed by congressional investigators, the mystery is beginning to unravel with regard to what happened that night and the reason for the subsequent, clumsy official cover-up now known as Benghazigate.
The evidence suggests that the Obama administration has not simply been engaging, legitimating, enriching and emboldening Islamists who have taken over or are ascendant in much of the Middle East. Starting in March 2011, when American diplomat J. Christopher Stevens was designated the liaison to the “opposition” in Libya, the Obama administration has been arming them, including jihadists like Abdelhakim Belhadj, leader of the al Qaeda franchise known as the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group.

In short, it seems President Obama has been engaged in gun-walking on a massive scale. The effect has been to equip America’s enemies to wage jihad not only against regimes it once claimed were our friends, but inevitably against us and our allies as well.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I have to say that I am impressed by the level of total devotion and the degree to which those devotees will go to defend a man who deserves none of it. The level at which facts can be ignored in blind devotion is truly admirable. I've sometimes wondered what it took to turn in neighbors and friends in countries being taken over by despots and I now know. Several in this thread would do it with little to no thought and in a heartbeat.

It took months for Obama to give the green light to kill OSL. The opportunity presented itself numerous times and he could not make the decision. It cannot come as a surprise that he was incapable of making a decision to defend our own people even as they pleaded for help. This man is no leader. He is a coward.

Joe Biden to Father of Former Navy SEAL Killed in Benghazi: ‘Did Your Son Always Have Balls the Size of Cue Balls?’

The father of one of the former Navy SEALs killed in the terrorist attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya says President Barack Obama wouldn’t even look him in the eye and Vice President Joe Biden was disrespectful during the ceremony when his son’s body returned to America. He also says the White House’s story on the attack doesn’t pass the smell test.

Four years is long enough for a bunch of incompetent, misfit, tax cheating cowards to run the country. It's time to relegate them to the obscurity of history.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I have to say that I am impressed by the level of total devotion and the degree to which those devotees will go to defend a man who deserves none of it.

I'm impressed that, given the alleged "plenty of evidence" proving that Obama lied about the attack, that people who hate Obama can't seem to find it.

The level at which facts can be ignored in blind devotion is truly admirable.

I've found it's actually pretty easy to ignore things that don't exist.

Once again, instead of providing this alleged evidence, we get still more lame character assassination and innuendo from laughably unreliable sources.

Color me shocked.

Anyone who takes seriously anything written on Glenn Beck's website is beyond reasoning with.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What? There's plenty of evidence. The letters requesting security, the letters describing the attack as it was happening, the drone video.

This administration knew it was a terror attack on 9/11, knew it was coming, did nothing about it and then tried to cover it up as some sort of protest over a video.

There's plenty of evidence supporting this. It's worse than watergate, americans died because of this administrations incompetence.

lmao, what a hack.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
[ ... ]
Yet here we have Obama, Biden and the entire leadership team sitting in the White House Situation Room, watching video of the attack as it happened, listening to the consulate staff saying they are under attack, that they need backup and then this motley crew does absolutely nothing except when they finally get on a plane to fly to Las Vegas to do some campaign fundraising.

And the silence here at that level of passivity and inaction is deafening.
Given that even the Forbes hit piece concedes reinforcements were dispatched within one-half hour, I'd say you're either ignorant or willfully dishonest. Which is it?

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
I think I know where this evidence is that proves that Obama lied about the attack.

It's hiding under the Whitey Tape.

You think that is an insult? Keep bringing the insults, this nation will see YOU in November.

That's the night Rick Perry becomes our new president, right?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Given that even the Forbes hit piece concedes reinforcements were dispatched within one-half hour, I'd say you're either ignorant or willfully dishonest. Which is it?

Too little, too late. Obama fucked up big time on this one.

Keep pounding it home patriots! Keep pounding this fuckers failures into the faces of the have nots and liberals! Our country is at stake, attack them, put your fist up their ass and rip their guts out.

Time to get to work America...November is almost here.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
I'm impressed that, given the alleged "plenty of evidence" proving that Obama lied about the attack, that people who hate Obama can't seem to find it.

I've found it's actually pretty easy to ignore things that don't exist.

Once again, instead of providing this alleged evidence, we get still more lame character assassination and innuendo from laughably unreliable sources.

Color me shocked.

Anyone who takes seriously anything written on Glenn Beck's website is beyond reasoning with.
I'll give you an 'E' for effort, but you're wasting your breath. Everyone here knows those two are brainless sock puppets who parrot the talking points without the faintest clue about what facts are or are not behind them. If the RNC propaganda mill suddenly announced Obama is making the sun rise in the west, they would attack just as fervently and just as absolutely certain in their own absolute ignorance.

Last edited:

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
Too little, too late. Obama fucked up big time on this one.

Keep pounding it home patriots! Keep pounding this fuckers failures into the faces of the have nots and liberals! Our country is at stake, attack them, put your fist up their ass and rip their guts out.

Time to get to work America...November is almost here.
Take you meds and go to bed. Your crazy is overflowing again.

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
I've said it before, I'll say it again:

intelligence / preparation failures lead to thousands of americans dying (if you don't blame the people actually crashing planes into buildings)...... the party in power then proceeds to run on this fact in elections for eight years.

intelligence / preparation failures lead to four americans dying (if you don't blame the people actually shooting guns and RPGs into buildings).....the same party, which is no longer in power, attacks the president for...not using the word "terrorist" enough?

It's almost like people making these accusations completely forgot about the other 9/11 attack after they stopped using it in campaign speeches....

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
intelligence / preparation failures lead to four americans dying (if you don't blame the people actually shooting guns and RPGs into buildings).....the same party, which is no longer in power, attacks the president for...not using the word "terrorist" enough?
Fuck that, he was telling a story that he should have known was false. There is no excuse except incompetence. He lied or he was incompetent. Which is it?

Screech

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2004
Fuck that, he was telling a story that he should have known was false. There is no excuse except incompetence. He lied or he was incompetent. Which is it?

The administration has done a terrible job communicating over this incident, yes, but I do not currently know of obama saying "this was not a terrorist attack" or anything silly like that. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if their spokesman Jay Carney is "put under the bus" after this......

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
This whole thing reminds me of when the Democrats would go after Bush for similar stuff. Yes, the administration screwed up how they framed the deaths with the American public, but the nuances of the issue are wayyyyy above the heads of the average voter. Romney blew his chance in the debates to use it as a political weapon and that's why the Romney people really aren't talking about it anymore.

By all means Republicans, keep trying to explain the whole situation to the public. As soon as you mention Youtube, they'll recall the latest funny video they saw there and start laughing to themselves.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
Revisionism.
Fortunately for him, about half the country is too stupid to realize what a fraud he is, or too obsessed with irrational hatred for Obama to care.

And the other half is too stupid to see what a fraud Obama is or too obsessed with irrational hatred for Romney to care.

Our country is irreparably polarized.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
You can call Obama a lot of things. But he's not a fraud in the same vein as Romney.

He may have lied about some things. He may have changed a few positions. He may not always do what he says he's going to do.

But he doesn't run on a campaign platform for 18 months and then stand up in front of 50 million Americans and completely revise his positions on nearly everything, and pretend it never happened.

Romney has no core beliefs about anything, other than Mormonism and his divine right to money and power. He is a complete and utter phony.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Obama ran on a platform that he would cut the deficit and if he did not succeed, did not deserve a second term.

Deficit has gone up yet he chose to run for a second term.

Who can talk - if you can not trust the word that comes out of ones mouth; who can you trust.

a mans word is supposed to be his honor and bond.
Obama has failed on that also.