Battlefield V

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
It's definitely a different game than BF1. I had a blast in BF1. It took me a few days of playing BFV to start to get that same rush when playing in a good round though. But it happened. And I'm a diehard medic, which is the most nerfed class right now.

Medic is easily my best in BF1, and it seems people don't like to play it. I like playing the others but I find often times I have to go be a medic since there aren't enough of them. I don't get it. It's a very powerful class. Everything I've heard says it's the worst in BFV.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Medic is easily my best in BF1, and it seems people don't like to play it. I like playing the others but I find often times I have to go be a medic since there aren't enough of them. I don't get it. It's a very powerful class. Everything I've heard says it's the worst in BFV.
Medics in BF V are limited right now to smg guns which aren't very good for medium/long range. They are more suited to close quarters. The other thing is most players play assault or support and just pick off medics from a distance so its tougher to play conquest for example as a medic since about half the time you will be picked off by snipers or the support guys with the KE7 from far away.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
The insane amount of prone LMG bush wookies in Conquest makes me want them to bring back the BF1 method of spotting, just to put a damper on those pathetic slugs. Most of the time you die so fast that you cant even get a good read on where your camped up killer was. Very annoying!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I do agree with that most times. I've also been spawn killed several times because of the camping people. I understand the concept of it in some game modes, but overall it is annoying.

It's just that assault is everything people play at the moment. Hopefully they patch up the medic class.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Console versions are/were half off already, and the PC version $20 off. That can't be sitting well with a lot of people who pre-ordered or bought it day one. Pre-ordering is stupid though, it might have made some sense when there might be a shortage of physical copies of games, but not now.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I really like breakthrough. It's much more intense like rush was in the previous games. Breakthrough and conquest gives you the most points to level up though.
Just played 4 rounds of breakthrough and it is the best of the bunch, looks like it will be my go to for this game. Conquest has always been my fav BF game mode, but its miserable in this one.

Edit:
And now after a few rounds of TDM its really good too.

In fact BFV's TDM is more CoD than CoD. Its like the glory days of CoD2 and 4, way back when it was good. Its a fast no frills killem' all, except some of the maps are a little to large for 32 players. If they were just tightened up a little bit....it would be too much fun.

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah I just got off a nice 4 hour gaming session with some peeps I squaded up with. We did a whole round of maps on TDM then did a few domination. Agreed some of the TDM maps are just slightly too big, but it does add another element to the strats. Problem is when you roll medic, big spaces does not equal good outcomes for you. Let's see what the December 4th DICE patch brings for the medic class.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Here are some of the patch notes for the upcoming update.

Looks like they increased the damage of some of the assault weapons like the sturmgewher and the stg. They decreased the damage of the m19A by a bit. Also decreased the smle which is what I've been using a lot now.

For smg's it looks like they just increased the range by 5 meters. Also healing should be a bit faster now.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dying-too-fast-in-battlefield-5-ea-is-planning-som/1100-6463558/

Not sure how this will fair out for medics but we will have to see.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Here are some of the patch notes for the upcoming update.

Looks like they increased the damage of some of the assault weapons like the sturmgewher and the stg. They decreased the damage of the m19A by a bit. Also decreased the smle which is what I've been using a lot now.

For smg's it looks like they just increased the range by 5 meters. Also healing should be a bit faster now.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dying-too-fast-in-battlefield-5-ea-is-planning-som/1100-6463558/

Not sure how this will fair out for medics but we will have to see.

They also increased bullet velocity for SMG's and decreased bullet drag - which should help with all longer engagements. I think that *may* increase damge as well, the velocity, but not sure. Velocity might also increase TTK, not sure. Also increased sustained fire accuracy for all SMG's while stationary and aimed. Again boosting them in longer engagements.

Last edited:

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
They also increased bullet velocity for SMG's and decreased bullet drag - which should help with all longer engagements. I think that *may* increase damge as well, the velocity, but not sure. Velocity might also increase TTK, not sure. Also increased sustained fire accuracy for all SMG's while stationary and aimed. Again boosting them in longer engagements.
Yeah we will have to see. At the same time they also buffed the assault guns. The stg is already one of the best AR's. Should be interesting to see. One mechanic I wish they had implemented would be if you are shot down and it's not a headshot, you should be able to crawl to safety while the countdown meter depletes.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Yeah we will have to see. At the same time they also buffed the assault guns. The stg is already one of the best AR's. Should be interesting to see. One mechanic I wish they had implemented would be if you are shot down and it's not a headshot, you should be able to crawl to safety while the countdown meter depletes.

That would be awesome. Think we have to wait until BF6 for that though unfortunately.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That would be awesome. Think we have to wait until BF6 for that though unfortunately.
In their trailer earlier when they revealed the game they showed the mechanic where you could drag a player to safety. On the Reddit thread in the update patch notes they mentioned they are considering that mechanic and maybe looking into it. Letting us crawl would be easier to do.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
How is this game, is it like BF2 or like any COD?

Edit: stupid phone lag
It's more like bf 1. I've played 3,4, 1, and now 5. I only remember playing the campaign of 2.

I would not compare it to cod at all. It's not that fast paced and it's more strategic. Requires a good team to win that plays synchronously, especially in BF V.

The game modes are more fun than cod. Weapons obviously are different and pertain to the era.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I've upped 5 of the 7 medic guns to level 4 or higher so I could use them with all 4 specializations in use. I always choose the clip size expansion specialization plus the aim down sights 33% faster plus the reducing recoil ones.

So that makes those the Sten, the MP28, MP34, EMP and the Thompson ( final gun).

I was looking for the best all rounder that includes farther distances and the EMP is my favorite for sure. The Thompson is brutal, as in brutally awesome, in CQ because of it's 50 round drum mag capacity but it recoils too crazy for anything longer range. I'll be using the EMP as my daily gun and use the Thompson on select maps/modes like Arrens TDM and say Rotterdam Frontlines and whatever others I encounter but IMO they are few maps/modes that I will be grabbing it for. It's alot of fun but not for the current iteration of BF maps and modes.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Apparently they upped the recoil in the patch for the Thomson. It apparently is a favorite of many medics so far. I'm trying to unlock the stg for assault and then I'll play more medic to unlock the rest of the guns.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Patch and update will actually happen on the 5th at this time.

Man I do like some of these larger TDM matches but they really need to have some more smaller ones like Arras

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
That update took me 2 hours, it was insane. I like the changes to the medic weapons, seem I can actually fire from the hip now in close situations.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
It took about 35 min for me on a FiOS gigabit line. The stg seems stronger. Haven't played medic yet but the smle has more recoil now and is much less accurate. The practice zone is annoying as soon as I heard the announcer in the range.

Overall the sniper is much better. I was 16 and 2 last night as recon in breakthrough.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I haven't clicked on tides of war but I got one thing unlocked from playing for it during breakthrough. I don't think I like how the tides of war unlocks are time limited. Some days I don't have time to play so it's not really fair to make those that have other things going on, wait until the next time those items are available for unlock.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I haven't clicked on tides of war but I got one thing unlocked from playing for it during breakthrough. I don't think I like how the tides of war unlocks are time limited. Some days I don't have time to play so it's not really fair to make those that have other things going on, wait until the next time those items are available for unlock.

I read on the BF forums there will be other ways to get those weapons but they havent' said how yet. NOt sure how true that is.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I read on the BF forums there will be other ways to get those weapons but they havent' said how yet. NOt sure how true that is.
Yeah I was able to get two unlocks now one for healing with bandages and working on the healing with crates now. Problem is I think there is a medic crate bug since no one seems to be picking up from the crates even though it's right in front of them.

Unfortunately some stuff happened at work tonight and I had to login and see what's going on. I had a good run otherwise and it sucks the points don't count since I had to quit mid round.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I eventually got the VGO (it sucks, BTW), but it took much longer than it should have because the assignments weren't registering half the time. My advice is to forget the medic crate and go with the ammo side or straight up the middle of the challenge tree with the building assignments. Do build the snowman side challenge though, because you get huge points for that. Here's an easy place to find to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dzhN4BP2FM