Battlefield 1942 Players

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I liked wolfenstein's system of where you could either wound a guy so a medic could save him within 10 seconds or just kill him by shooting him in the head. A system like this could make sniping much more effective without making it unfair.

travisio

Oct 13, 2000
Shiva you are probably right. My estimate may have been a little high. I would say 7 out of the 15 rounds, I will get a hit. When I say this I don't mean 7 out of 15 rounds gets me 7 kills, just 7 hits. Also I just wanted to say I totally agree with you on the medic revive suggestion. The only arguement I see there is the reality of being able to revive a mortally wounded soldier to a battle functional state. I personally like the idea though. That would really balance out the one shot one kill idea.

If you would like, ping 204.66.26.253 This will give you a rough latency estimate, I wouldn't say final though. This is because the server would be placed in a different position from that of the box you are pinging. The position it would be in would be 1 less hop than the box you are pinging.

I was talking with the guys and I may be able to get the machine faster than I thought. It turns out the cluster balancing test they were doing isn't going to be possible without more hardware. This would make one of the boxes available to me soon. I will keep yall updated.

Edit: Well I've got the go ahead on the box. It is a P4 1.8, 512 ram, Win2k Adv. Server. I have one last hurdle before I can get this tested and going. I started a thread for it. If you are network savvy, BF savvy, or even better both, check out the thread.

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
My results:

Pinging 204.66.26.253 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 204.66.26.253: bytes=32 time=72ms TTL=103
Reply from 204.66.26.253: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=103
Reply from 204.66.26.253: bytes=32 time=71ms TTL=103
Reply from 204.66.26.253: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=103

Ping statistics for 204.66.26.253:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 66ms, Maximum = 72ms, Average = 68ms

travisio

Oct 13, 2000
It is up in testing phase currently. 204.66.26.253:14567

Try it out and return comments or suggestions. I hope it is stable.....Win32......

travisio

Oct 13, 2000
Well I see the server peaked out so far at 1.2 mb out and 550kb in, thus I am assuming there have been some people on it. Has it been running smoothly? I have gotten on but no one was there so I didn't hang around. I have been busy with work and school and haven't had time to play. If we get enough good players showing up I will pword protect it.

Maverick

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
I had my usual 100-140 ping...which is what I'm used to and seems playable to me. Worked well but it was empty :(

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: kgraeme
Doc Holiday, you are on my hit list.

TinyTony.

Ahh, so you are TinyTony. And yeah, Doc Holidy/neomits seems to be on most hit lists.

- MurderDeathKill

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
Originally posted by: nord1899
Doc Holiday, you are on my hit list.

TinyTony.

Ahh, so you are TinyTony. And yeah, Doc Holidy/neomits seems to be on most hit lists.

- MurderDeathKill

Yeah, well you're running a close second on my list. :D

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Nice work defending the beach tonight. That was an amazing recovery.

Hehe thanks. I was getting sick and tired of going to the ramp, killing 1 or 2 guys and then dieing myself.

So I went as Medic, walked thru the barbwire, healed, slid down the wall, walked into the middle trenches. Had the chance to shoot some guys in the back, decided that stealth was better. Snuck to the flag, capped it. And the game was ours.

Man, I was like "kick ass" when I got it and kept it long enough to get reinforcements.

- MurderDeathKill

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Yeah I've been having a lot of fun on the Ars Server

MDK and I seem to be competing a lot for the top spot ;)

glad to see that we have a good ATOT representation there. Lots of fun

- Doc Holiday

kgraeme

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2000
I really have to practice with the remote artillery. Neomits, I think it was you that kept calling for artillery on the beach but in the targeting I couldn't really tell where the heck I was shooting. I had the remote view up, but it's not easy. I think I ended up with a -1 score on that game, probably from shelling our own lower bunkers.

I read Ars long before I ever read AnandTech.

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I really have to practice with the remote artillery. Neomits, I think it was you that kept calling for artillery on the beach but in the targeting I couldn't really tell where the heck I was shooting. I had the remote view up, but it's not easy. I think I ended up with a -1 score on that game, probably from shelling our own lower bunkers.

I read Ars long before I ever read AnandTech.

I was doing quite a bit of that calling myself. The remote artillery is a bit tricky. A good tip is to fire using the remote site then immediately switch back to normal and see what the shot does. That helps me out with getting the remote aiming to line up correctly.

I think I read Ars brielfy before coming over to AT, don't remember which one I found first. But I never got into the Ars Forums. And obviously, I'm here at AT's forums.

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
what makes the artiller so tricky on Omaha is that the camera flips around in a funky way to where its kinda hard to tell where you shot and how to adjust. I've got the artilllery down pretty well.

I was trying to call for artillery from the beach targeting the boat but it didn't show up as me calling it so I don't know if I was just lagging or if it won't let you call

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I was the primary recipient of a bomb from neomits' plane the other day.

Now that I finally know who MurderDeathKill is on here, I can feel better about who I kill :)

nord1899

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Descartes
I was the primary recipient of a bomb from neomits' plane the other day.

Now that I finally know who MurderDeathKill is on here, I can feel better about who I kill :)

Heh, everyone on the opposing team is a primary recipient of neomits and his bombs from planes. Trust me, I know the feeling.

Are you sure you have the second sentance correct? Wouldn't "I can feel better about who killed me" be better? :D