Battlefield 1 released!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
Here is hoping it's decent.

My FPS/Action games have went something like this:
CS:S
CoD MW1
CS:S
BF3
October 2013-Jan 2014 BF4
Jan 2014-Current CS:GO

I might be ready for a few month break if it comes out in November/December.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
The unfortunate thing is that a large part of BF's player base came in post-BF2/2142, meaning they are used to the more fast paced style of the more recent games. DICE's efforts in chasing Call of Duty dream have proved fruitful. While I have no idea what BF2's total sales figures are, it was 2.5+ Million by the end of 2006, and I've seen some claims of 10 Million thanks to popular mods like Project Reality. BF3 sold 15 million copies by mid 2012. Goes to show that multiplatform releases are truly lucrative. The actual BF2 experience wouldn't appeal to new players who are used to being coddled with XP for every goddamn action they do.

I believe a lot of the fast pacing is accomplished in what I personally consider artificial means - shrinking maps and fast respawns. You basically spawn close enough to shoot or be shot within 5 seconds or less, or that seems to be the development philosophy.

Although I have much criticism for Planetside 2, I think that's one area they make the game work for everyone (even though everyone doesn't play it). You can spawn into a meatgrind, or you can choose to spawn farther away and approach with different weapons or in a different way.

VenBaja

Dec 7, 2013
Really hoping the map design and gunplay are on par with BC2/BF3. I've played every iteration, and felt everything up to BC2 had subpar mad design and infantry combat. BC2/BF3 were a serious step up for me. BF4 has abysmal map design and gunplay IMO.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
I believe a lot of the fast pacing is accomplished in what I personally consider artificial means - shrinking maps and fast respawns. You basically spawn close enough to shoot or be shot within 5 seconds or less, or that seems to be the development philosophy.

There were some smallish maps in BF2, like Strike at Karkand. BF2142 was the beginning of linear map design. Under the BF2 style of gameplay, it worked just fine, since you didn't have spawning on every squad member as well as all vehicles. Luckily Back to Karkand on BF3 didn't have aircraft. As much as many might hate having a front line on a map, it does weed out the weak and tactically unsound from those who know how to take advantage of opportunity. Close in maps are not really the problem as long as they don't feature aircraft and are not dependent on linear design.

I do miss the focus on large open maps though. Gulf of Oman 2012/2014 is a great homage to what makes the original work so well.

Another issue with BF3 and 4 is the inability to damage aircraft and light vehicles with small arms, depending on some interesting factors. The 7.62mm helo and boat mounted miniguns and co-axial machine guns on tanks can damage small and light vehicles, but soldier carried 7.62 mm weapons do not. What I'm hoping is that future games at least give hit zones to vehicles. While a 5.56 or 7.62mm round into the wing may not do much (accept pierce an integral fuel tank), I certainly expect a shot directly into the engine to mean something. Modern combat helicopters do feature kevlar liners and armoring for vital components and crew from small arms (often up to cannon calibers), but fixed wing aircraft generally do not, and even still only to protect the crew only (A-10, Su-25).

So especially against rampant helicopters (especially little birds!), DICE needs to allow small arms to actually damage them, or beef up the damage caused by .50 cal/12.5/12.7mm and especially cannon rounds. Scout helicopters are just about invincible unless you manage to score it with an RPG round of which all the missiles and cannons are way too slow in velocity, IMMENSELY slow.

For AAA, there needs to be true to life ballistics, which would greatly increase the difficulty of using it against aircraft, but reward good AAA players by actually damaging aircraft and vehicles a more realistic amount. On the other hand, aircraft should be made faster. The short draw distances of BF2 and previous games are a thing of the past, so lining up for that crucial shot can be made from far out if need be.

I could go on and on, but I will digress..........

T

Tim

Bunch of old farts complaining about the "glory days of gaming" in here is what it seems like to me. I've found each Battlefield game fun and endearing in different ways, and I've played them all since the original 1942 came out. Over 1000 hours on BF4, but done with it for now.

I eagerly await the next title.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Bunch of old farts complaining about the "glory days of gaming" in here is what it seems like to me. I've found each Battlefield game fun and endearing in different ways, and I've played them all since the original 1942 came out. Over 1000 hours on BF4, but done with it for now.

Ha, that made me check my BF4 hours......1,175. :eek:

I only had 1,000 on BF3. :D

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net

Nah, not really. I also started playing with BF1942 at release, and there were always some characteristics that made Battlefield games a breed apart from shooters like CoD and CSS. The problem is that over time they've perceived the market wanting more of what those other titles traditionally offered, and less of what made BF games BF games. So what you're seeing here is just people who had a strong affinity for what the title originally represented mourning the fact that those design elements have been deprecated over time.

Which maybe amounts to the same thing you said :).

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Anyone who thinks the latter Battlefields are like CoD.... really needs to go play one of the latest Call of Dutys. The CoD franchise in a free fall, it has turned into absolute garbage. Sure the newer BFs are faster paced, but they are still miles deeper and more engaging than that "other" franchise.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Anyone who thinks the latter Battlefields are like CoD.... really needs to go play one of the latest Call of Dutys. The CoD franchise in a free fall, it has turned into absolute garbage. Sure the newer BFs are faster paced, but they are still miles deeper and more engaging than that "other" franchise.

I used to at least like the campaign on CoD. I couldn't even make it through that on AW. Haven't bought any since.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I used to at least like the campaign on CoD. I couldn't even make it through that on AW. Haven't bought any since.

I loved the early CoDs, and have probably spent more time in CoD4's multi player than all my other games combined. The last one I bought was BO2, never finished the campaign, and hardly touched the multi player side of it. I played some of the others during the free weekends on Steam and it just disgusted me about how far the franchise has fell.

Zor Prime

Golden Member
Nov 7, 1999
One of the guys who does Battlefield development mentioned they'd love to do another Bad Company but if you run the numbers I'm sure the bean counters would prefer another typical Battlefield. I LOVED the Bad Company games, especially the original.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
One of the guys who does Battlefield development mentioned they'd love to do another Bad Company but if you run the numbers I'm sure the bean counters would prefer another typical Battlefield. I LOVED the Bad Company games, especially the original.

Gameplay-wise, Bad Company (2 at least ) was just a transition point between old Battlefield and new. At the time I thought it was a horrible start, but after playing BF3/4 and seeing where they are going, now I think it was actually a nice compromise.

Some people mean they want a continuation of the BC2 story. Most likely, if there is a BC3, it will continue the story and be a gameplay clone of whatever the most recent main BF release was.

Staples

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
Gameplay-wise, Bad Company (2 at least ) was just a transition point between old Battlefield and new. At the time I thought it was a horrible start, but after playing BF3/4 and seeing where they are going, now I think it was actually a nice compromise.

Some people mean they want a continuation of the BC2 story. Most likely, if there is a BC3, it will continue the story and be a gameplay clone of whatever the most recent main BF release was.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't remember the MP aspect of BC2 really being any different than BF3. It had a great single player campaign but there lies the biggest difference.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
BC2 didn't have prone, you couldn't strafe left/right while sprinting, maps were rather linear (BC1 had much larger maps), and classes were switched around like medic carrying an LMG and such and most importantly, no parachute (in BC1 there's even an achievement rewarded for jumping out of a chopper and falling to your death called "there's no parachute, kid"). BC1 had very frustrating hit detection but the large map and level of destruction was amazing.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Yep, its hardcore for me, I cant stand playing on normal servers. Im a huge fan of BF3 and 4, and will pre-order BF5, unless its that futuristic 2142 type of BS.

I'm actually hoping for 2143. If it has Titan mode, count me in.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I'm actually hoping for 2143. If it has Titan mode, count me in.

I'd be okay with that. So long as they take it serious and its not some redbull, brofest like AW was when it went to the future. I'd rather see WWII or cold war though.

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
I'd be okay with that. So long as they take it serious and its not some redbull, brofest like AW was when it went to the future. I'd rather see WWII or cold war though.

What I loved about 2142 was how dire and apocalyptic it seemed. I remember playing the demo for the first time in 2006 and thinking how legitimately scary it's portrayal of future warfare was. Being hit by orbital artillery as I jumped into my first game freaked me the hell out lol.

Damn I wish I could play it right now without having to download and configure a bunch of stuff just to get access to a couple servers.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I LOVE BF4 Classic mode. It plays similar to BF2. Way more fun than the normal BF4 mode.

I am hoping for either a BC3, or going back to WW2 or WW1 with all the modern engine and vehicles that we have. Would be awesome to blow stuff up in a Tiger or Panther.

scooterlibby

Feb 28, 2009
Do I detect a bit of bias? :p

Other than 2142 (I hated the futuristic crap) Id say they were all "good" up until BF3/4, then they became "great". Most here wont agree but since Im a "twitchy" type of player, I prefer the faster pace of the latter games.

Id really like to see them go back to WWII with the new Frostbite engine, Im dying for some old school action.

I gotta say, I adored 2142. Not so much for the futuristic stuff, but the mechanics of Titan Mode - get in using transports, plant, get out (or stay inside and defend that process) - was so much fun. The really got my hopes up and then dashed them with Carrier Mode on Bf4, especially because they left out the aspect of running like heck to get off before the carrier blew up.

Long story short, if they incorporated those mechanics again, in any era game, I would be beside myself happy.