Barack Obama to speak about Rev. Wright, race Tuesday, March 18

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Corbett
Originally posted by: Rainsford
I'm not dodging or excusing anything. You guys are the ones claiming all sorts of things must have been happening over the past 20 years, yet you've failed to prove any of it.

Obama has said many times he considered this pastor a close friend and spiritual advisor. He's attended the church for 20 years and now we are supposed to believe he never had that much influence over Obama in the first place?

Obama even named his friggin book "The Audacity of Hope" after a sermon the pastor once gave.

And that's the point you keep conveniently glossing over. Perhaps this pastor has some good qualities that Obama likes. That could be why he named the book "The Audacity of Hope." Perhaps the pastor isn't all negative all the time. Now, if Obama named the book "God Damn America", you'd have a point...

Especially considering that if you read past the cover of the book, it expresses really positive views that would not even appear to be remotely related to anything radical or racist.

I never claimed that Obama's pastor was all racist, all the time. I'm sure he DOES have some good qualities about him. But both of you have failed to miss my point that Obama is much more influenced by this man than either of you are ready to admit.

If your father was a serial womanizer and you saw what it did to your mother, would you be positively or negatively influenced by your father?

You should probably ask Chelsea Clinton that quetions.

But good diversion!

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I'm not dodging or excusing anything. You guys are the ones claiming all sorts of things must have been happening over the past 20 years, yet you've failed to prove any of it.

Obama has said many times he considered this pastor a close friend and spiritual advisor. He's attended the church for 20 years and now we are supposed to believe he never had that much influence over Obama in the first place?

Obama even named his friggin book "The Audacity of Hope" after a sermon the pastor once gave.

And that's the point you keep conveniently glossing over. Perhaps this pastor has some good qualities that Obama likes. That could be why he named the book "The Audacity of Hope." Perhaps the pastor isn't all negative all the time. Now, if Obama named the book "God Damn America", you'd have a point...

Especially considering that if you read past the cover of the book, it expresses really positive views that would not even appear to be remotely related to anything radical or racist.

I never claimed that Obama's pastor was all racist, all the time. I'm sure he DOES have some good qualities about him.

But yet again, both of you have failed to miss my point that Obama is much more influenced by this man than either of you are ready to admit.

You can say that as many times as you like, but I don't see you getting any closer to PROVING it. For example, finding anything Obama has ever said that sounds like he agrees with Wright's racist comments would be a start.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

I never claimed that Obama's pastor was all racist, all the time. I'm sure he DOES have some good qualities about him. But both of you have failed to miss my point that Obama is much more influenced by this man than either of you are ready to admit.

If your father was a serial womanizer and you saw what it did to your mother, would you be positively or negatively influenced by your father?

You should probably ask Chelsea Clinton that quetions.

But good diversion!

No, it's perfectly legitimate because the honest answer would be it depends on the individual. We are not all the same. I've seen some pretty sad and terrible things in my life, but I learn from them rather than copying what I see. If you actually think for yourself, you'll come to realize that you don't have to agree with everything everybody says. But it doesn't mean you can't respect them, especially if they are doing some positive things.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
No, it's perfectly legitimate because the honest answer would be it depends on the individual. We are not all the same. I've seen some pretty sad and terrible things in my life, but I learn from them rather than copying what I see. If you actually think for yourself, you'll come to realize that you don't have to agree with everything everybody says. But it doesn't mean you can't respect them, especially if they are doing some positive things.

Except, you dont have a choice who your father is. You DO, however, have a choice who your pastor is!

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Except, you dont have a choice who your father is. You DO, however, have a choice who your pastor is!

lol. You never know who you're going to meet in life. And it doesn't really matter what happens to you, it's how you respond that makes you who you are. This is the point I've been trying to make. Critical thinking and analysis is what really distinguishes leaders from followers. If you find it difficult to separate the good from the bad of an individual, what good are you in getting the best out of everybody?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
lol. You never know who you're going to meet in life. And it doesn't really matter what happens to you, it's how you respond that makes you who you are. This is the point I've been trying to make. Critical thinking and analysis is what really distinguishes leaders from followers. If you find it difficult to separate the good from the bad of an individual, what good are you in getting the best out of everybody?

Meeting people and making them your close personal friend are 2 very different things. Most people CAN deal with people that they MUST be around. Obama CHOSE to be around this man for 20 years. Not only that but he obviously influenced Obama's life in many ways.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Meeting people and making them your close personal friend are 2 very different things. Most people CAN deal with people that they MUST be around. Obama CHOSE to be around this man for 20 years. Not only that but he obviously influenced Obama's life in many ways.

Well, if Obama's calculations were political in nature, he probably would've dumped this guy a long time ago. But I don't think they were. Obama may have CHOSEN to be around him in spite of the warning he got early on because of the kind of work he and the pastor were doing in the community. And, believe it or not, but opposites attract. Again, you keep focusing on what you want to see, which is understandable, but you refuse to think whether there is more than meet the eyes.

On a personal note, I have a lot of friends whom my fiancee absolutely hate. But there are qualities in them that I respect and I enjoy helping people out. Does that make me a bad person? No. Does that mean I share my friend's bad qualities? No. People are free to make up their mind with limited information. However, unless your mind is already made up, the best thing to do is think and always ask questions.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
We can go back and forth on this until we all die of old age, but as far as I'm concerned, the way you know that someone is a racist is if they are a racist. Nothing Obama has said or done says "racist" to me...what this minister thinks or says doesn't matter as much as what Obama thinks and says.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: Sinsear
The rhetorical power of eye rolling aside, I'd rather base my decision about a candidate on facts...not inference. If somebody can produce anything that demonstrates Obama holds those kind of radical views, I'm on board. Other than that, you'll forgive me if I don't find your FUD particularly convincing.

I can't

You don't have to, the man married the evidence.

You mean that one line? That's some pretty compelling evidence, I'm convinced.

You think her line of thinking only happened in that one second? This has been indoctrinated into the both of them for the past 20 years.

Obama better hope to god there isnt a video of him in the church while this filth is being spewed. Because it will be game over.

..video or not in the 20+ years he's been a member, he's been in attendence for what has to be numerous sermons of racist anti american vitriol. His wife has incorporated it into her retoric.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Fine. If that is the case then please provide proof that this 'influence' has been negative and caused Obama to do bad things as a result. If you can't provide that then please STFU on this 'issue'.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Robor

Fine. If that is the case then please provide proof that this 'influence' has been negative and caused Obama to do bad things as a result. If you can't provide that then please STFU on this 'issue'.

No, no...this is the best KIND of influence. It's really powerful, but totally undetectable.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

No, no...this is the best KIND of influence. It's really powerful, but totally undetectable.

:laugh:. And it only happens to people named Barack Obama. Add in the stealth muslim that's waiting to be activated and we've got a real robot zombie on our hand.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: IGBT
..video or not in the 20+ years he's been a member, he's been in attendence for what has to be numerous sermons of racist anti american vitriol. His wife has incorporated it into her retoric.

Is this 'retoric' you speak of that one-liner taken out of context and twisted by those who see fit to use it against Obama? god damn her for speaking her mind and being proud of her husband and country. She should shut up and get in the kitchen and make babies, yeah?

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

:laugh:. And it only happens to people named Barack Obama. Add in the stealth muslim that's waiting to be activated and we've got a real robot zombie on our hand.

Like I've said before. Obama was either influenced by this pastors black separatist views, or he was too naive to even realize his pastor preached the hate that he did.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001

Is this 'retoric' you speak of that one-liner taken out of context and twisted by those who see fit to use it against Obama? god damn her for speaking her mind and being proud of her husband and country. She should shut up and get in the kitchen and make babies, yeah?

...glad to see you're speaking your mind and showing your cards.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
The thing that concerns me most is Obama's claim that he never heard the minister say such things. Really it is the first time I feel like Obama is lying for political gain. I feel in every part of this campaign I can remember that he has been honest (and I'm not naive, I've been following the campaigns very closely), but now I have my doubts. Anyway I look forward to the speech tomorrow.

What frustrates me most is that the issue at hand doesn't bother me. I don't follow the guilt by association, even if that association is a very close one. I'm friends with all sorts of people but that does not at all mean I share their political views. I also don't buy that religion and politics must be interconnected, there are plenty of great moral religious leaders who, when it comes to politics, are a bit nuts. This is because they are so religious that they drop barriers to viewpoints we see as radical (I'm not excusing the reverend remarks, but if you remove some of the nationalistic barriers from the equation it is easy to see how someone with a purely religious view could have their opinion distorted in such a way).

And don't tell me "I told you so" on Obama's lying. I've heard all the bullshit responses people have been giving to his remarks for months, and it is drivel. He is an honest man. Or at least has been, I have trouble believing this but will have to in a week or so if nobody comes up with evidence--I'm sure there are already people digging through tapes of the sermons so if they don't come up with anything, there isn't anything.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

...glad to see you're speaking your mind and showing your cards.

Both statements were a question and you didn't answer either.

You would never see my cards unless you paid.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Like I've said before. Obama was either influenced by this pastors black separatist views, or he was too naive to even realize his pastor preached the hate that he did.

And like I said, someone can be negatively influenced or positively influenced. You are implying that the influence was negative. Either you're claiming that Obama cannot think for himself or he's easily influenced. Which is it? Why can't it just as easily be that he disagreed with the pastor on these divisive issues? Unless you know something we don't, you're not in a position to know, and neither am I.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Farang
The thing that concerns me most is Obama's claim that he never heard the minister say such things. Really it is the first time I feel like Obama is lying for political gain. I feel in every part of this campaign I can remember that he has been honest (and I'm not naive, I've been following the campaigns very closely), but now I have my doubts. Anyway I look forward to the speech tomorrow.

What frustrates me most is that the issue at hand doesn't bother me. I don't follow the guilt by association, even if that association is a very close one. I'm friends with all sorts of people but that does not at all mean I share their political views. I also don't buy that religion and politics must be interconnected, there are plenty of great moral religious leaders who, when it comes to politics, are a bit nuts. This is because they are so religious that they drop barriers to viewpoints we see as radical (I'm not excusing the reverend remarks, but if you remove some of the nationalistic barriers from the equation it is easy to see how someone with a purely religious view could have their opinion distorted in such a way).

And don't tell me "I told you so" on Obama's lying. I've heard all the bullshit responses people have been giving to his remarks for months, and it is drivel. He is an honest man. Or at least has been, I have trouble believing this but will have to in a week or so if nobody comes up with evidence--I'm sure there are already people digging through tapes of the sermons so if they don't come up with anything, there isn't anything.

He said he heard him say such things and that he's disagreed with him in the past. But he claims that he never heard these particular statements. Big difference.

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
The liberal NY Times has a SCATHING article about the current situation. Those of us that saw this as an issue from the start were on to something, those of you that see this as irrelevant can continue to do so, but the ramifications are huge, regardless of where you stand...

Link
Faced with what his advisers acknowledged was a major test to his candidacy, Senator Barack Obama sought on Monday to contain the damage from incendiary comments made by his pastor and prepared to address the issue of race more directly than at any other moment of his presidential campaign.

Though he has faced questions about controversial statements by the pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., for more than a year, Mr. Obama is enduring intense new scrutiny now over Mr. Wright?s characterizations of the United States as fundamentally racist and the government as corrupt and murderous.

Mr. Obama, in a speech Tuesday in Philadelphia, will repeat his earlier denunciations of the minister?s words, aides said. But they said he would also use the opportunity to open a broader discussion of race, which his campaign has said throughout the contest that it wants to transcend. He will bluntly address racial divisions, one aide said, talking about the way they play out in church, in the campaign, and beyond.

Mr. Obama continued to write the speech on Monday evening, which he believes could be one of the most important of his presidential candidacy, aides said. His wife, Michelle, had not been scheduled to travel with him this week, but hastily made plans to be in Philadelphia.

Mr. Obama said Monday that in his speech, to be given at the National Constitution Center, he would ?talk a little bit about how some of these issues are perceived from within the black church community, for example, which I think views this very differently.?

After removing Mr. Wright from a religious advisory committee on his campaign on Friday, Mr. Obama concluded over the weekend that he had not sufficiently explained his association with the pastor. He told several aides he was worried that if voters did not hear directly from him ? in the setting of a major speech ? doubts and questions about him might grow.

Some associates advised him against giving the speech. ?Race is now officially on the table. It?s not going away after this,? a senior aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, recalled one adviser saying.

The episode has left Mr. Obama tending to a firestorm fed by matters no less combustible than faith, patriotism and race. It could help Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton?s campaign advance its argument that Mr. Obama is ?unvetted,? and that he is less electable than Mrs. Clinton come fall. In interviews, Republican strategists mapped out how Mr. Obama?s association with Mr. Wright could be used against him in a general election.

By addressing head-on such sensitive topics, his speech, aides and other Democrats said, could be a pivotal moment for Mr. Obama, who, for all of his electoral victories and copious news coverage, is still known only in the broadest terms by many Americans.

?This isn?t red and blue America,? said Donna Brazile, a Democratic consultant, referring to the address that catapulted Mr. Obama to prominence at the 2004 Democratic National Convention. ?This is black and white America.?

?And when you really have a serious conversation about race, people clear the room,? said Ms. Brazile, who as the manager of Al Gore?s bid for the White House in 2000 was the first black woman to run a major presidential campaign.

Mr. Obama is particularly vulnerable because voters are still getting to know him, said Democratic and Republican strategists ? and a few voters as well. The Wright affair ?makes me question other things. What else do we not know?? asked Karen Norton, 58, a computer saleswoman in North Carolina and a Republican who said that, until now, she had been stirred by Mr. Obama?s message of national reconciliation.

Mr. Wright?s statements, said strategists, threaten his greatest strength, his reputation as a unifying, uplifting figure, capable of moving the country past old labels and divisions.

?The problem is the complete contradiction between the message of the Obama campaign and the message of the minister who?s been his close friend and confidant for 20 years,? said Whit Ayres, a Republican consultant unaffiliated with any campaign.

Mr. Obama has also pitched himself as a candidate who can attract religious voters back to the Democratic Party, one who speaks the language of the Bible fluently and testifies about what he says is the impact of Christianity on his own life.

?What better way to try to undercut the way he integrates faith and political vision than to say we should all be secretly afraid of his church?? said Jim Wallis, a left-leaning evangelical who has had longstanding relationships with both Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton, and who says that Mr. Wright has been unfairly caricatured in recent portrayals.

In strategic terms, Mr. Wright?s statements are tricky for the Obama campaign to address. The more the candidate denounces the minister?s words, the more voters may question why Mr. Obama attached himself to Mr. Wright in the first place and stuck with him for so long, not only attending his church but naming a book after one of his sermons.

Because of his own emphasis on powerful oratory, said Todd Harris, a Republican strategist, Mr. Obama cannot dismiss Mr. Wright?s words as mere rhetoric.

?At the core of the campaign is the fact that words matter,? said Mr. Harris, who is not now affiliated with any campaign. ?Central to the idea of his candidacy is the idea that a speech can change the world. You can?t have a campaign that has that notion at its core and then point to other people?s words and say, those don?t really matter.?

Asked how Republicans might use the Wright matter in the general election, Mr. Harris cited several incidents that could be used to question Mr. Obama?s patriotism. ?Negative ads are built on negative patterns,? he said.

He pointed to Mr. Obama decision to stop wearing a American flag lapel pin and the statement that his wife made about being proud of her country for the first time in her lifetime. (Mr. Obama has called the lapel pin an empty symbol of patriotism, and Mrs. Obama has said she was quoted out of context).

Five weeks before the Pennsylvania primary, Mr. Obama had hoped to be refining his strategy to win over the support of white male voters ? a demographic that began to slip away in his Ohio defeat. Instead he is facing his second straight week of negative news coverage. In a television interview with PBS on Monday, Mr. Obama called his pastor?s remarks ?stupid? and conceded, ?it has been a distraction from the core message of our campaign.?

If his earlier appearances in the day were any guide, he is making a few subtle alterations to his routine on the campaign trail.

In his many months of stumping, Mr. Obama has rarely bid farewell to an audience the way he did at a morning event in Monaca, Pa. ?God bless you and God bless America!? he proclaimed.

This is not going away any time soon and this will play out through November if Obama is the candidate. The part I highlighted above is something that can only hurt him, as he needs those swing votes to have any chance to win.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Farang

He said he heard him say such things and that he's disagreed with him in the past. But he claims that he never heard these particular statements. Big difference.

"Lying" is a strong term open to debate in itself, so let's set that aside. He is spinning more aggressively than I'd like. I'd like him to address this issue head on as one that doesn't matter, and that is why I'm giving him tomorrow's speech as an opportunity to convince me he hasn't soured.

And just for the record this doesn't mean I'm leaning at all towards Clinton.. I am severely anti-Clinton and will remain so. I'm just not liking how Obama is handling this situation.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
We can go back and forth on this until we all die of old age, but as far as I'm concerned, the way you know that someone is a racist is if they are a racist. Nothing Obama has said or done says "racist" to me...what this minister thinks or says doesn't matter as much as what Obama thinks and says.

So I guess you wouldn't be concerned if John McCain spent the last 20 years attending KKK meetings, and claimed that the grand wizard dragon (or whatever the hell those idiots call their leader) was his moral compass? As long as he hasn't done anything racist then it's fine right?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Yeah well, if McCain gets elected, this democratic experiment is over.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Vic
Yeah well, if McCain gets elected, this democratic experiment is over.

Even after this whole issue (yes, it really does bother me that Obama went to this church for 20 years and I think it says a lot about him), I'll still be voting for him over McCain. I think Obama can take care of this if he just comes out and admits that he knew about all of this, admits to making a mistake in attending this church and says that he's changed his ways. If he keeps playing stupid and pretending like after 20 years he had no clue this guy was a radical racist, he's going to have some problems.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: RY62

UPDATE: Axelrod later told CNN's Gloria Borger that the Illinois senator has "always contemplated giving a speech like this."
?He will address the broader questions of race and politics, these are complex issues that transcend Barack Obama, and are fault lines in our politics and society, and, ultimately, can be a barrier?They?re easily exploited, and hard to address," he said.

Well, this could explain alot.

The story of this racist minister has been around for over a year but the MSM wouldn't touch it until now. Who pushed the story to the front? Clinton wouldn't do it now, the timing isn't right. Barack has several weeks for damage control before the next primary. It also seems the timing would be better for the Republicans if they saved it for the general election. Could it be the Obama camp pushed the story now? Perhaps the party bigwigs wanted to see if this story would hurt before selecting him as the nominee? For Obama, there could be no better time than right now to deal with this. Plus, he gets to have his followers throw blame at Clinton and McCain to demonize them while he comes out with yet another pretty speach. This time it'll be about how he will cure racism.

Either way, I'm less interested in what he has to say about race right now than if his story that he was unaware of the racist rants of Rev Wright will hold up.

Jesus H. Christ. Will you let it die? The man never said he didn't know Rev. Wright's hateful views. He said he never heard the recent hateful views. Why do you keep repeating this when it's already been debunked by many? Do you really want to believe he's a liar that bad?

Not True he said I quote "When I saw these statements, many of which I had heard for the first time,"

No you just slanting it your way not smart when we see the video you here what you want to hear.

Later when he says this it makes me really uncomfortable because as a Christian and to hear on audio Pseudo Pastor Wright words with the passion and hate that he says them offends me that he calls himself a Christian more than anything.

OBAMA: You know, I guess -- keep in mind that, just to provide more context, this is somebody who I had known for 20 years. Pastor Wright has been a pastor for 30 years. He's an ex-Marine. He is somebody who is a biblical scholar, has spoken at theological seminaries all across the country, from the University of Chicago to Hampton. And so he is a well- regarded preacher. And somebody who is known for talking about the social gospel.

But most of the time, when I'm in church, he's talking about Jesus, God, faith, values, caring for the poor, those -- family, those were the messages that I was hearing.

Barf God only Hates Evil. Sounds like to me Wright thinks America is Evil and Whites are Evil. This is Unacceptable...

Unacceptable.

For 20 years and you say you don't know? Liar, Fool, or Moron I don't see that the last two are true.

Unacceptable