Banned for Bad Tipping

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
You mean they pay a decent wage and you still get service? i thought that wasn't possible, without any incentive to perform? I'm in shock, you actrually get your food warm?

/lol

Yes, amazingly enough some people are actually willing to work.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yea, tipping threads are great, they really bring out the cheapskates and the people that have never been to a nice restaurant.

They also bring out the people who think they're better than everyone cus they tip people no matter how shitty service they get. Getting paid extra for doing a bad job? Really gives them incentive to work harder doesn't it??? Why didn't I think of that before or the rest of the industrialized world? Earn your tips? Gah who needs to do that.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
About half of you need to read, Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress just to see how shitty some, especially lower class women, have it. You'd tip almost every-time unless you're a total POS.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
About half of you need to read, Waiting: The True Confessions of a Waitress just to see how shitty some, especially lower class women, have it. You'd tip almost every-time unless you're a total POS.

I've worked customer server and bussed tables. Earn your tips and I don't see a problem with anything.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005

No exceptional service, no tip. I don't care how hard your life is. I guess I'm a POS.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
No exceptional service, no tip. I don't care how hard your life is. I guess I'm a POS.

So lets say a waitress takes your order, keeps your drink filled, and brings you food in reasonable time. Average service all around. Nothing special, but not poor by a long shot.

You would not leave a tip?

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Who would you side with?

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/02/26/dnt.bad.tipper.banned.wxii

I can understand both sides, but anyone who eats out and doesn't tip well should be shot.

get your cheap ass to McDees or some other shit hole if you don't wanna tip, someone god damn server you your food while you were sitting on your sorry ass, moreover the servers don't get much of a pay, the majority of their income comes from tips. Its like robbing someone of their money. ppl like these should voluntarily end the miserable excuse of life that they are living.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
So lets say a waitress takes your order, keeps your drink filled, and brings you food in reasonable time. Average service all around. Nothing special, but not poor by a long shot.

You would not leave a tip?

Sadly, I consider that exceptional service. I'm lucky at any restaurant to get my drink filled timely and my food at a reasonable time/temp.

get your cheap ass to McDees or some other shit hole if you don't wanna tip, someone god damn server you your food while you were sitting on your sorry ass, moreover the servers don't get much of a pay, the majority of their income comes from tips. Its like robbing someone of their money. ppl like these should voluntarily end the miserable excuse of life that they are living.

If they are so upset with their livelihood behing dependent on the kindness of others, maybe they should get a different job where that is not the case. The deal is not the store pays X and the customer pays you X. The deal is you get X from the store, and if you DO A GOOD JOB, you get rewarded by the customer. If a tip was mandatory and part of their wage, it would be included in the price of food. Waitressing, like commission sales is a risk vs reward job position.

A salesman takes a risk, if he doesn't sell X, he doesn't get paid as well (aka no commission). A waitress takes the same risk. If she is lazy, doesn't get orders right, doesn't refill drinks timely, misses obvious details like lemons in my tea (when I order tea with a lemon) or brings me a cold meal, she is not doing her job. Like a salesman who can't make sales, she still gets the low hourly wage. Just like that same salesman, she will not be getting a 'commission'.

I tried sales when I was younger. I SUCKED at it. I got a job where my livelihood was not based on the happiness of strangers.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
until recently one knew tips were mandatory. Nowadays everyone wants to screw everyone and feels entitled to getting more for free. They are simply justifying not tipping and those of like mind are backing that sentiment up.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
until recently one knew tips were mandatory. Nowadays everyone wants to screw everyone and feels entitled to getting more for free. They are simply justifying not tipping and those of like mind are backing that sentiment up.

I agree

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005

If a tip was mandatory, it would be on my check or automatically filled in on my credit card receipt.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
If a tip was mandatory, it would be on my check or automatically filled in on my credit card receipt.

Or you should stop being such a cheap ass and go eat at taco bell if you have such a beef about leaving tips for people paid $3 an hour who rely on tips.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
They also bring out the people who think they're better than everyone cus they tip people no matter how shitty service they get. Getting paid extra for doing a bad job? Really gives them incentive to work harder doesn't it??? Why didn't I think of that before or the rest of the industrialized world? Earn your tips? Gah who needs to do that.

I don't think anyone's said that they tip no matter what. What we've said is that the tip for doing an average job is 15%, you say that people shouldn't be tipped at all for doing an average job. I'd agree with you if they we're paid a normal wage like every other job that you and others try and compare it to (mechanic, plumber, etc...) but they're not. Society says we're right and you're wrong. Stick to Boston market if you don't want to pay for service.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
I don't think anyone's said that they tip no matter what. What we've said is that the tip for doing an average job is 15%, you say that people shouldn't be tipped at all for doing an average job. I'd agree with you if they we're paid a normal wage like every other job that you and others try and compare it to (mechanic, plumber, etc...) but they're not. Society says we're right and you're wrong. Stick to Boston market if you don't want to pay for service.

This depends on the state. Not every state allows for pay under the minimum wage. States like CA where it's mandatory to pay minimum wage, then any tip earned is a windfall for the server.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
This depends on the state. Not every state allows for pay under the minimum wage. States like CA where it's mandatory to pay minimum wage, then any tip earned is a windfall for the server.

I made more than minimum wage when I was 15 working at McDonalds. A server deserves more than a cashier at McDonalds. Right or wrong, the societal norm is tipping 15% for average service. If you (not you specifically) don't agree with that then stick to places that don't serve you.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
If she was just a cheapskate before and they added it in, then I can understand that. It's not right but sometimes cheap MFers need to be taught a lesson. No restaurant will do that just for the hell of it. There's more to this story than the lady is telling.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
It's taking orders for a group of tables simultaneously, while also making sure their drinks are filled, checking in on them regularly, delivering the order at exactly the right time, and several other things. It's not just carrying a plate of food at most sit-down restaurants. Perhaps you should try working in the food service industry a bit... might help you understand.

Also... you would rather complain to the owner and hope they do something than actually not pay as much money? Really? Do you walk around with a hard-on for a fight fight too or something? Why would that be preferable to actually paying less money and making the message pretty clear without even having to leave your table?

Don't waste your time with this one, he only speaks retard and won't understand a word you just typed. He can only reduce things down to the LCD before he understands something.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
He's not a $7/hr employee! If he is, he won't last long, or is working at a joint where 15% = $0.93.

I did mention that you should expect piss poor service if you pay for piss poor service. And being told on your way in the door that you must agree to tip, or you won't be served is not exactly extortion; you have plenty of options.

You come off here as a cheap, bitter asshole, and should definitely avoid any restaurants with servers, because you don't belong in them.

FTR if I haven't mentioned it, I am not, and never have been in a tipping industry or job.

What is this agree or expect to tip crap? It *should* be something completely voluntary and rare, in the case of exemplary service. This is lost on our society here where it's expected. I've been very glad to tip for guys who took 20 minutes to bring my furniture in through the side door because they were too large for the other door, and moving it a few times because it just didn't look right. I've been very glad to tip for the service guy that went the extra mile to fix my car the way they were told not to if they didn't have to. I even bought the guy donuts the next time. I also tipped the local mechanic because he even washed my wheels doing a quick job for me.

But for people who are employees of a restaurant who simply bring me my hot food that I'm already paying double or triple for, what kind of outstanding service is there? Maybe if he gave me an extra drink or extra sauce without asking just because he felt it was needed... things like that. Yet it's expected that I tip him 15% standard just for being there, just for me stepping foot inside the place. That should not be considered a tip. I still do it, BUT THIS CONCEPT IS NOT RIGHT because a tip is a tip, not a handout. The system is fuct and all you can say is, "just do it". You're right, you're not saying anything that hasn't been said a hundred times. If it made any sense, people wouldn't challenge it over and over.

Tell you what, instead of telling me "I have options" or "it's expected", tell me why I should pay the guy extra for doing his job like I do mine? Because the owner only pays him so little that I should feel bad? Because the food was so cheap already?! What is it?

Last edited:

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
So now we've moved on to a semantic argument about the definition of the word "tip" eh? Can't wait to see where that takes us...

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
hAHAH! Americans and their ever lasting tipping dilemma.:awe:

I read you guys should be tipping too.. 10%?

So now we've moved on to a semantic argument about the definition of the word "tip" eh? Can't wait to see where that takes us...

It's always gotten me... you either charge for a service or you don't. Don't say I'll do your work for a tip. That's not a tip.

Or you should stop being such a cheap ass and go eat at taco bell if you have such a beef about leaving tips for people paid $3 an hour who rely on tips.

Or those who rely on tips should stop gambling with their income and get a job that suits them better. I'm not saying waiters are low-class, I'm saying they should not complain when they lose because they know what they're going into. They often come out on top anyway, no? I think that's been said a hundred and one times also. Wait, I've just had an epiphany... waiters have OPTIONS too!

Last edited:

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I read you guys should be tipping too.. 10%?

It's always gotten me... you either charge for a service or you don't. Don't say I'll do your work for a tip. That's not a tip.

Or those who rely on tips should stop gambling with their income and get a job that suits them better. I'm not saying waiters are low-class, I'm saying they should not complain when they lose because they know what they're going into. They often come out on top anyway, no? I think that's been said a hundred and one times also. Wait, I've just had an epiphany... waiters have OPTIONS too!

So they don't have a right to complain when they give good service but some cheap ass decides that he doesn't agree with tipping so he stiffs them? If you don't want to pay for service then stick to places that don't serve you, pretty simple concept. Feel free to cross out the "tip" section of the credit card slip and relabel it "service charge" if that makes you feel better.

Again, we're talking about people that don't tip for average or good service, not shitty service.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005

That's bullshit. The notion that tips are mandatory is an entirely new thing. It's the server's attempt to turn a gamble into a certainty. Nowadays everyone thinks that simply because they need something, someone somewhere should be guaranteeing it for them. The notion that they are out there on their own to sink or swim, eat or starve based on how well they can procure a living for themselves doesn't sit well with them. They think their need equals the obligation of someone else to provide. That this attitude is so widespread that it permeates our society on every level does not save it from the despicable, whining acceptance of ineptitude that is at its root.