Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed after being hit by a cargo boat.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
The harbor pilot don't actually steer they take command of the ship during the transit to and from the harbor. Not much they can do if they lose power and steering. I don't understand why they didn't drop anchor or shift to manual steering. It may have been too close to make a difference, but that is standard procedure.
They did drop anchor

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
They did drop anchor

I've heard that they did and they didn't on various broadcast. Anyway as I stated the anchor(s) may not have made any difference as they were so close to the bridge. That much tonnage going that fast would drag that/those anchor(s) for quite a way before even slowing anything down.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Reactions: pcgeek11 and Pohemi

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
It's definitely something worthy of federal funding. Both the waterway it crosses and the roadway it carried are hugely important to both interstate and international commerce.

The goods coming in and out of the Port of Baltimore are going to/from a much larger part of the east coast of the US than just MD. And the Key Bridge 695 crossing of the Patapsco is a major north/south carrier of goods for the whole east coast as well. It was the only one that allowed trucks carrying placarded hazmats. The two other crossings are tunnels for 95 and 895 do not allow hazardous materials or trucks over 13' or so for safety/size reason. The alternative path going clockwise (the long way) around 695/Baltimore Beltway adds 30 miles or so.

So any hazardous goods or large trucks moving up or down the entire eastern US just added at least 30 miles detour each way, and any smaller vehicles that can use 95/895 are going to deal with much greater traffic delays.

This is very much more than just a MD issue.

On a personal note, I was on duty with one of the fire departments that responded to this incident when it happened, but did not personally respond. It's been nice to see local business step up and take care of our boat crews and divers that have been supporting the rescue/recovery efforts.

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Pretty strange that no casualties of any drivers have been mentioned (at least I haven't seen anything)....

There have been repeated stories about how they were able to shut down the traffic on the bridge but in the video footage, it seemed like there numerous moving headlights right before it collapsed, including what looked to be a semi. Or was that just my imagination?

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
There have been repeated stories about how they were able to shut down the traffic on the bridge but in the video footage, it seemed like there numerous moving headlights right before it collapsed, including what looked to be a semi. Or was that just my imagination?

in the long video there were a bunch of headlights but they eventually stopped before the collision.

Audio Captures Officer Response Before Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Maryland Transportation Authority Police officers successfully halted traffic heading toward the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore after a cargo ship issued a mayday warning.

“I need one of you guys on the south side, one of you guys on the north side, hold all traffic on the Key Bridge. There’s a ship approaching that just lost their steering. So until they get that under control, we’ve got to stop all traffic.”

“10-4, I’m en route to the south side.”

“[unclear] I’m holding traffic now. I was driving but we stopped prior to the bridge, so I’ll have all outer loop traffic stopped.“

“10-4, is there a crew working on the bridge right now?”

“[unclear]”

“Got it.”

“Want me to stop traffic along this site right now?”

“Yeah, if we could stop traffic, just make sure no one’s on the bridge right now. I’m not sure where — if there’s a crew up there. You might want to notify whoever the foreman is, see if we can get them off the bridge temporarily.”

“10-4, once the other unit gets here, I’ll ride up on the bridge. I have all interloop traffic stopped at this time. Once you’re good here, I’ll go grab the workers on the Key Bridge and then stop the outer loop.”

“C13 Dispatch, the whole bridge just fell down. Start, start — whoever, everybody: The whole bridge just collapsed.”

“10-4, Dispatch, is that correct?”

“That’s correct. This time.”

“Do we know if all traffic will stop?”

“I can’t get to the other side, sir, the bridge is down. We’re going to have to get somebody on the other side in Anne Arundel County M.S.P. to get up here and stop traffic coming northbound on the Key Bridge.”

“C13, I’m holding all traffic northbound.”

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Ultraworld was one of the best rave production companies back in the '90's. Starscape was one of their outdoor parties in Baltimore we went to a few times with thousands of attendees. And it was right by that bridge. Didn't have a bad time at any Starscape party we went to, so only good memories there. The vibes were good back then. Before, at least, like any scene, it got corrupted by human nature.

acc4d324-6d2d-4071-8e9e-421cc0855521.jpeg

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Pretty strange that no casualties of any drivers have been mentioned (at least I haven't seen anything)....

Two of the workers' bodies were recovered from submerged truck; sounds like other vehicles are under water, beneath the wreckage of the bridge.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Never have heard if the tide was going out or not. That would make it harder to get slowed down.

Hawkins Point on the Patapsco River for yesterday:

Mar 26th (Tue)
the sunrise is 6:59am-7:24pm and the tide times are:
L 2:14am 0'1"
H 8:16am 1'4"
L 3:04pm 0'1"
H 8:35pm 1'1" .

Looks like the crash happened at 0130...so just before low tide. Shouldn't have been a very strong ebb that close to turnover. Of course, being on a river, (or estuary) the river flow rate would play some part in the flow rate during an ebb tide.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
in the long video there were a bunch of headlights but they eventually stopped before the collision.

Maryland Transportation Authority Police officers successfully halted traffic heading toward the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore after a cargo ship issued a mayday warning.

“I need one of you guys on the south side, one of you guys on the north side, hold all traffic on the Key Bridge. There’s a ship approaching that just lost their steering. So until they get that under control, we’ve got to stop all traffic.”

“[unclear] I’m holding traffic now. I was driving but we stopped prior to the bridge, so I’ll have all outer loop traffic stopped.“

“[unclear]”

“Got it.”

“Yeah, if we could stop traffic, just make sure no one’s on the bridge right now. I’m not sure where — if there’s a crew up there. You might want to notify whoever the foreman is, see if we can get them off the bridge temporarily.”

“10-4, once the other unit gets here, I’ll ride up on the bridge. I have all interloop traffic stopped at this time. Once you’re good here, I’ll go grab the workers on the Key Bridge and then stop the outer loop.”

“C13 Dispatch, the whole bridge just fell down. Start, start — whoever, everybody: The whole bridge just collapsed.”

“I can’t get to the other side, sir, the bridge is down. We’re going to have to get somebody on the other side in Anne Arundel County M.S.P. to get up here and stop traffic coming northbound on the Key Bridge.”

Here is the clip from post #8 in this thread with local CBS coverage where they clearly state they were looking for 20 people (which is more than 8 people that were working on the bridge) and that cars crashed into the river from bridge. I haven't seen any mention of this national media...

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005

“[unclear]”

“Got it.”

I’ve both personally responded with and coordinated responses with MTA police officers and their dispatchers. Primarily I’m a Firefighter/Paramedic supervisor but I also spent a few years as a supervisor in a 911 center that borders that area. I’ve overwhelmingly run into good folks in that time.
Ultraworld was one of the best rave production companies back in the '90's. Starscape was one of their outdoor parties in Baltimore we went to a few times with thousands of attendees. And it was right by that bridge. Didn't have a bad time at any Starscape party we went to, so only good memories there. The vibes were good back then. Before, at least, like any scene, it got corrupted by human nature.

View attachment 95999
That looks like the Fort Armistead side. I happened to have worked a firehouse ~3 miles from there last weekend.

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Here is the clip from post #8 in this thread with local CBS coverage where they clearly state they were looking for 20 people (which is more than 8 people that were working on the bridge) and that cars crashed into the river from bridge. I haven't seen any mention of this national media...

Yes it’s a conspiracy and cover up…

Or…just hear me out here, more information was learned and taken into account…..

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Yes it’s a conspiracy and cover up…

Or…just hear me out here, more information was learned and taken into account…..

I made an observation and and even provided a reputable source and yet you have to be respond like a condescending prick...

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I made an observation and and even provided a reputable source and yet you have to be respond like a condescending prick...

Yes because your post was horseshit and long superseded by updated information yet you led with some bull shit about it not being reported by national media.

So you received an appropriate response for a shit post. If your feels are hurt maybe don’t be a dumb ass in the future.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I was watching a container ship captain commenting on this and he said ship lost power, then emergency power kicked in 45s after, they immediately tried reversing and dropping anchor. The black smoke is the engine going full tilt. Apparently reversing will turn your ship to the right.

He suggested with hindsight on his side he could see two options, full steam ahead with rudder ful port side to try to clear bridge or starboard to try to avoid bridge but he said given the short time available it is not realistic to expcet people to think calmly.

Also speculated too many refrigerated containers caused the power outage.

link

His ship barely clears the bridge.

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Apparently reversing will turn your ship to the right.
👍
If you go read my post about "coming in hot" , that is exactly what that tug was doing on the bow of the ore ship. He was high throttle pushing on the starboard side and keeping it from just steering into us and the SeaLand container ship across the waterway.
I called it "walking" because when you get slow enough, the stern walks the other way sideways with a big single screw.

Reactions: hal2kilo
Nov 17, 2019
Well, aside from the fact that the steel is 50 years old (or more) and likely in need to maintenance anyways, there is no way to tell what the stress of falling may have done to it.