Attention NAACP

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Where's the cartoon of these two guys, with their real names and addresses, being pushed into their homes with a black mob standing around with torches and the caption reading, "You're Fired!"

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Craig234
Originally posted by: Corn

Evidently you don't follow current events much (outside of politics, that is). Here is the context regarding the cops shooting a monkey used in that cartoon: Text

This incident happened a day before the cartoon was authored.

It's the sort of story I'da rather not waste time on, and I appreciate your monitoring them for me to let me know if one becomes relevant as here.

I think that is somewhat of an explanation that the monkey was not simply a gratuitous choice - but it's still suspicious why to grab a monkey story, and tie it to the government.

Maybe because likening a baboon to CONGRESS is teh FUNNAY!!1!!on3! ?

Seriously, did you not have a clue that the cartoon was making fun of both news items? Do you really have your head that far up your ass?

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Don Vito Corleone
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
The response to this cartoon is more indicative of the problem than the cartoon itself. Much more.

Bullshit. This is such a painfully predictable response - a little casual racism by white people is fine, but God forbid a person of color take offense.

I am far from being a humorless person or someone who's easily offended - I listen to the Stern show every day - but this cartoon is beyond the pale, and this is not an instance in which the NAACP or Sharpton are overreacting (and God knows there have been many such instances). The cartoon is not only racist but contemptuous of our country's highest office - If the Times had published the identical cartoon after Bush had proposed a stimulus package, the Hannitys of the world would have gone through the roof.

I totally understand where you're coming from, considering Obama wrote the stimulus package. Oh, wait - he didn't write the stimulus package? :confused:

God forbid the cartoonist use a current event to call the congressmen and women that actually wrote the stimulus package "chimpanzees".

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Craig234

Evidently you don't follow current events much (outside of politics, that is). Here is the context regarding the cops shooting a monkey used in that cartoon: Text

This incident happened a day before the cartoon was authored.

It's the sort of story I'da rather not waste time on, and I appreciate your monitoring them for me to let me know if one becomes relevant as here.

I think that is somewhat of an explanation that the monkey was not simply a gratuitous choice - but it's still suspicious why to grab a monkey story, and tie it to the government.

Wait - I think you mistyped. The cartoonist didn't tie the story to *the government* - he tied it to *Obama* directly, right?

edit typo

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Hacp
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Had this cartoonist, Sean Delonas never penned a hateful, bigoted cartoon in his life, I think he'd be given some slack. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

http://gawker.com/5155855/ten-...oons-from-sean-delonas

So he makes fun of democrats. Whats the big deal? Everyone is so PC these days.

Because it's not cool to make fun of Blacks, Obama, The Stimulus Package, Chimps, Congress, Democrats, or Muhammad.

Freedom of Speech FTL, of course, the First Amendment doesn't mean jack shit nowdays.

Didn't you get the memo?

Of course the First Amendment rights are suspended because of the very real possibility that the police will injure the president because he's black and so obviously resembles a chimp.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Because it's not cool to make fun of Blacks, Obama, The Stimulus Package, Chimps, Congress, Democrats, or Muhammad.

Freedom of Speech FTL, of course, the First Amendment doesn't mean jack shit nowdays.

Didn't you get the memo?

Ridiculous. How is this a First Amendment issue? Nobody is suggesting jailing the cartoonist. The Constitution doesn't protect people from being fired for saying (or, as in this case, drawing) stupid, offensive things. If you go up to your boss and call his wife a whore, do you think the First Amendment should protect your job?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

Didn't you get the memo?

Ridiculous. How is this a First Amendment issue? Nobody is suggesting jailing the cartoonist. The Constitution doesn't protect people from being fired for saying (or, as in this case, drawing) stupid, offensive things. If you go up to your boss and call his wife a whore, do you think the First Amendment should protect your job?

Yep, the way around the Free Speech argument is mob rule, get enough idiots to chant and they have to do something.

Newspapers are dead anyway, fire all of them, I don't really give a shit...

I truly didn't perceive the cartoon as racist, I think the guy combined the chimp that was evidently boning the crazy woman and the stimulus package. Big whoop. But hey, we collectively demand the guy's head, so he must be a racist POS.

He's a political cartoonist, should he run everything by a politically correct panel?

Where was the outrage over Sharpton's huge ass cartoon?

I'm done with this topic, and expect the morons to start throwing shoes soon...

Feb 10, 2000

Yep, the way around the Free Speech argument is mob rule, get enough idiots to chant and they have to do something.

Newspapers are dead anyway, fire all of them, I don't really give a shit...

I truly didn't perceive the cartoon as racist, I think the guy combined the chimp that was evidently boning the crazy woman and the stimulus package. Big whoop. But hey, we collectively demand the guy's head, so he must be a racist POS.

He's a political cartoonist, should he run everything by a politically correct panel?

Where was the outrage over Sharpton's huge ass cartoon?

I'm done with this topic, and expect the morons to start throwing shoes soon...

So, in essence, you don't purport to have any principled argument here, and don't really care what happens? What exactly are you adding to this discussion? And how does this have anything, even the slightest thing, to do with the First Amendment?

Feb 10, 2000
.........And how does this have anything, even the slightest thing, to do with the First Amendment?

Read his first sentence again. Then read this.

His post was moronic, and, in relevant part, stated:

There is no "freedom of speech" issue here, and certainly no First Amendment issue. I find it absurd (though, unfortunately, unsurprising) that anyone with enough intelligence to operate a computer would seriously argue that firing this moronic cartoonist and his even-dumber editor would have a chilling effect on legitimate free speech.

BTW (since some here seem incapable of nuance) I am not saying - at all - that this is not constitutionally protected free speech. I also think Klansmen, Nazis and rape fantasists are protected by the First Amendment. That has nothing to do with whether it's appropriate to publish their deluded nonsense as editorial content in a respectable newspaper.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008

Didn't you get the memo?

If it's true then yes.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
wow, all this fuss over the cartoon. I found it funny and gave me a light laugh until I flipped the page.

It kind of reminds me of that radio guy who got fired for calling two girls hoes but then only got fired because they were "black"....

This cartoon being racist is a joke.

You can find anything to be racist. You know that cereal box in your cabinet, have you ever counted the black kid to white kid ratio? They are not equal....

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
You can find anything to be racist.

Well, then, I guess you have proven that since 'you can find anything to be racist', nothing is racist, and all issues of racism should be ignored as not being legitimate.

If someone draws a cartoon of workers at the white house installing trees with vies to swing from and banana trees, and caricatures of the Obama family looking out the window with chimpanzee faces, and a caption reaidng 'gotta update the facilities for the new Simian resident', you could just say 'You can find anything to be racist', and dismiss it.

Heck, why not a cartoon of a remake of 'Planet of the Apes', where Charlston Heston sees 'Monkey' Obama in the White House and shouts 'oh no, it's true...'

Why not? The same lack of addressing the issue, the same universal dismissal in your argument, can be equally applied to any example, since you don't bother with any specifics.

You say nothing of use in interpreting *this* cartoon, you just post broad generalizations that attack any issues of racism and imply there are none that are legitimate.

It's fine for you to point out that not *all* claims of racism are legitimate, but you then need to show why the specific one under discussion is not racist, to make that claim.

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
It doesnt need all that explanation. Racism should be tolerated on all sides to a minor extent just for cases like this. Im not saying open verbal racism against somebody should be allowed ,but rather racism such as a cartoon.

If you dont like the cartoon, dont read it. Let the people who do read it enjoy the laugh for the 5 seconds until they get bored.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
It's crap like these discussions that really keep racism alive.

A minimum of 4 more years of this shit, I just can't wait.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
The only thing NAACP is doing is bringing more attention to this cartoon, and negative attention at that. When I first saw it the thought that it had a racist undertone didn't even cross my mind.

Then of course all the protesters showed up and in raising the issue they only brought more attention to the stereotype.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Yep...just like the Muhammad cartoon, if people don't bring attention to it, the entire world would have never heard of it. But our media thrives on these sensational issue in order to sell commercials.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Argo
The only thing NAACP is doing is bringing more attention to this cartoon, and negative attention at that. When I first saw it the thought that it had a racist undertone didn't even cross my mind.

Then of course all the protesters showed up and in raising the issue they only brought more attention to the stereotype.

Am I to believe you saw tis cartoon independently of this controversy, all about racism, and racism didn't cross your mind? Do you take this paper?

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Am I to believe you saw tis cartoon independently of this controversy, all about racism, and racism didn't cross your mind? Do you take this paper?

I heard about the controversy, clicked on the link, and thought I'd clicked on the wrong link when I saw the cartoon in question.

Self hate does that to me I guess...

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: classy
He should be fired. The cartoon is racist and he depicts the killing of the president. I have some good arguments here against a lot of things percieved to be racist, but in this case it is a flat "bleeping" joke for anyone to defend and try to downplay the clear picture portrayed in that cartoon. The person who wrote should be canned and the editor who approved should get the boot as well. There is no place for bs like that in todays society. And if you don't like it here, buy a damn plane ticket and leave.

I bet you are a real hit at parties.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
It doesnt need all that explanation. Racism should be tolerated on all sides to a minor extent just for cases like this. Im not saying open verbal racism against somebody should be allowed ,but rather racism such as a cartoon.

If you dont like the cartoon, dont read it. Let the people who do read it enjoy the laugh for the 5 seconds until they get bored.

Gee, interesting defense of racism from someone's sig says:

-March, Official White History Month

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

I heard about the controversy, clicked on the link, and thought I'd clicked on the wrong link when I saw the cartoon in question.

Self hate does that to me I guess...

Yup, I can see the thought process. Where's the racism here. Oh yes, economic stimulus plan, Obama, black, chimp, ah yes this is the right cartoon.

All I can say is that when it comes to social intelligence, the people who easily see the racism in the cartoon are infinitely more intelligent than the dolts who don't, or vastly more experienced with the hideous facts of racism. If you don't see the racism, in other words, you are either damn stupid or damn naive.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The irony is that the whiners like Sharpton and the NAACP cry "racism" every five seconds, so it's very easy to tune out real racism issues. That's how it works in the workplace as well. If someone whines every 5 minutes about something minute being racist, odds are nobody is going to listen to them when they are the victim of real racism..... '