++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 860 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
The good news... my next build can be a mid-budget build, instead of a higher budget build. Technology has progressed to the point that we're way on the bad side of diminishing returns.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
My PSU is still squealing like a bitch. I hate this thing, but removing it would take a few hours of aggravation, then a week or more turnaround, before the POS gets back and needs another few hours to install.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
This case and cooling equipment should last a long time. The PSU was supposed to last a long time too, but that seems unlikely.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
So the case is powdercoated black steel, which means heavy, sturdy, but prone to scratching, and difficult to move. It's also large.

The cooling is good stuff, although the pump is a little noisy, it'll need a new waterblock every so often.

The PSU squeals under pretty much any load.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
It's a beautiful build, an artwork, my masterpiece.

And now it's a plagued relic; plagued by vague hardware issues and software bugginess, a relic of a hobby that is now dead to me.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I don't really want to ever go back to air cooling, because I view overclocking as a necessity, and air cooling is forever a limitation.

That alone sets a pile of limits on the case.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Right now, I have Opera and Firefox active; one of them running YouTube. Also, a pile of standby programs, foobar, Steam, Dropbox, Pidgin, etc.

This is enough load to drive the PSU to ramp the fan up from idle.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
It's a beautiful build, an artwork, my masterpiece.

And now it's a plagued relic; plagued by vague hardware issues and software bugginess, a relic of a hobby that is now dead to me.

Get a Dell or Mac then. :biggrin: