++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 80 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I'v always wondered if you can use watercooling to dump the heat to another room. My office gets way too hot.

I am going to put a portable AC in my man cave. I have casement windows so I need a custom plexiglass insert built so I can replace the screen with it.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I'v always wondered if you can use watercooling to dump the heat to another room. My office gets way too hot.

Yes and no. You'd need to have adapter fittings on the case, on the near wall, and the far side of the wall, then have your radiator and fans assembled on the other side of the wall. It makes mobility a major problem, and bleeding would be even more painful than it already is.

I've seen it done a few times, I haven't done it myself, and I won't do it myself until I own my own house with no plans to move for a long time.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I am going to put a portable AC in my man cave. I have casement windows so I need a custom plexiglass insert built so I can replace the screen with it.

Blow out the casements and put in a double hung. Honestly, portable AC's are way overpriced and really not that effective; casement AC's are even more overpriced. It's probably cheaper and more effective to replace the casements and get a large window unit than do anything else. At least check the numbers.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Both of those solutions won't work because I'm renting

Yes and no. You'd need to have adapter fittings on the case, on the near wall, and the far side of the wall, then have your radiator and fans assembled on the other side of the wall. It makes mobility a major problem, and bleeding would be even more painful than it already is.

I've seen it done a few times, I haven't done it myself, and I won't do it myself until I own my own house with no plans to move for a long time.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

Heh - MotF already beat me to it. I have wanted to see if a flex duct with inline fan hooked up to the side or rear vent would successfully exhaust the hot air into another room though...