++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 798 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
They can use dipolar spaced wires in windscreens as effective antennas. Virtually loaded and gain guided. They can probably do that with thin film tech (transparent reflective coatings < 15 atoms thick) now in that frequency range.

They will be hidden by the naked eye but donning polarized shades would show them just as it reveals dot pattens on tempered glass. (from the cooling jets from the tempering process).
You'll increase the cost of windshields astronomically, and they are easily broken things. Also, lots of people drive with polarized sunglasses, so the dot patterns would probably be considered annoying.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Of course, the carburetor is essentially dead, we're all on FI now.

And if I had a pushrod V8 5+ L, I'd be under 20 MPH constantly. But I don't, I have a DOHC V6 3.5L, and I come in just shy of 20 through the city, and near 25 on highways.

It's a figure of speech that still lives on...

Just like everyone is "filming" with camcorders and smartphones and you never see anyone removing the film for processing. :biggrin:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
You'll increase the cost of windshields astronomically, and they are easily broken things. Also, lots of people drive with polarized sunglasses, so the dot patterns would probably be considered annoying.
Some vehicles already have this expensive stuff like those Fords with screens resembling Neil Armstrong's visor! Those block signals enough that people using those toll collection transponders have to resort to a license plate mount, etc. Replacing those windscreens is expensive. Everything is expensive! As far as the visibility goes that is easily resolved too.

Antennas can be located elsewhere. On land sat com isn't even needed.

With newer wireless technologies such as LTE evolving a lot of this tech will be over metropolitan area networks. (MANS) etc.

Even cellphones will no longer offer "minutes" but data. All calls routed over IP so quality increases dramatically. Of course they will still have radios for conventional calling in other locales.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Of course, the carburetor is essentially dead, we're all on FI now.

And if I had a pushrod V8 5+ L, I'd be under 20 MPH constantly. But I don't, I have a DOHC V6 3.5L, and I come in just shy of 20 through the city, and near 25 on highways.
You driving Miss Daisy in a Camaro or something? :biggrin:

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Google has cancelled your order. You have not been charged.
Reason: Item out of stock
Comments from Google: "Offer has sold out."

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I think I have 300 dollar worth of grocery reward. With 1&#37; reward, that means 30000 spent.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS