++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 797 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Pilots are human and mistakes are made all the time.
Hit up youtube and look for Carnival Legend 09-30-09 and you will see what I mean. Ship happens all the time. Fortunately 95% of the time it never leaves the bridge. The other 5% is quite obvious as seen in those horrifying videos.

I don't know where you see 145 pounds. Perhaps with mounting mast hardware it may be that heavy. The actual antenna is much lighter.

You want precision you should see our Trimble PPS system. Accuracy is down to a few centimeters and time accuracy is +/- 15 nanoseconds.

They have ones that can be fine tuned to a few millimeters accuracy. When miners are trapped thousands of feet below the ground and they have to drill a hole in an EXACT place that's what they use. X rarely marks the spot. But even Indiana Jones was wrong on that one. :p

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
All four cylinders sound the same - like lawn mowers. Unless they have fart cans. Then it's a lawn mower without an exhaust and a bee hive strapped on top for good measure.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Pilots are human and mistakes are made all the time.
Hit up youtube and look for Carnival Legend 09-30-09 and you will see what I mean. Ship happens all the time. Fortunately 95% of the time it never leaves the bridge. The other 5% is quite obvious as seen in those horrifying videos.

I don't know where you see 145 pounds. Perhaps with mounting mast hardware it may be that heavy. The actual antenna is much lighter.

You want precision you should see our Trimble PPS system. Accuracy is down to a few centimeters and time accuracy is +/- 15 nanoseconds.

They have ones that can be fine tuned to a few millimeters accuracy. When miners are trapped thousands of feet below the ground and they have to drill a hole in an EXACT place that's what they use. X rarely marks the spot. But even Indiana Jones was wrong on that one. :p

Oops! Somebody's insurance rates went up!

145 pounds was listed on the website linked. Either way, it's still a huge antenna, multiple inches in any direction.

Cars don't need that much accuracy.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
To the people ripping 4 cylinders I would like you to know that with my gas saving techniques I got about 40 mpg on my trip down...
Currently at 390 miles on my 11 gallon tank with a little less than a 1/3 left.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Oops! Somebody's insurance rates went up!

145 pounds was listed on the website linked. Either way, it's still a huge antenna, multiple inches in any direction.

Cars don't need that much accuracy.

The antenna is no larger than a dinner plate. I know, I own a couple of them. (Made by Leica)

Cars will use this accuracy when they are self piloting, parking vehicles. :biggrin:

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I have not questioned that advantage of four cylinders, but that is not enough of an advantage to outweigh the reasons I dislike the motors.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
The antenna is no larger than a dinner plate. I know, I own a couple of them. (Made by Leica)

Cars will use this accuracy when they are self piloting, parking vehicles. :biggrin:

I drove by a Leica warehouse / office the other day...

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

Still larger than the GPS antenna in a car, much larger.

True, the accuracy will need to be increased... when they finally get that figured out.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
It's possible to get 30+ mpg with a classic "Heartbeat Of America" pushrod V-8, 5.0 liters, throttle bottle fuel injection. Of course the typical younger male in the driver's seat cannot keep his foot "out of the carburetor" long enough to see a hair of 20mpg let alone 30. :biggrin:

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
Set a man on fire. Modern day defibrillators promote the use of handsfree pads, as opposed to the paddles you see on TV, this is a prime example why. I was but a wee lad, and a new Paramedic, at my first ever Cardiac Arrest. Picture this: The hairiest, slightly obese Italian man with a huge pot belly, dead on the ground wearing I shit you not a hot pink polyester kimono. Long story short, forgot to apply gel to the paddles, and discharged the paddles when my hand got knocked so that there was an electric arc created. This caused the kimono, chest hair, and bed spread to go up in flames.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
The first implementation should be on highways. Take a four lane highway. Cut it in half.

The cars that have early adopters of the technology, full automation systems, get the left two lanes. You program in where you want to leave the highway, then at certain points along the highway, you can merge into the automated lanes, where computers take over. You'll end up sitting a half car length behind the vehicle ahead, traveling at up to 100 MPH.

I'm not sure how to get them out of there though. If the other two manual lanes are at 20 MPH, there's no way out without fucking up traffic for the automated zone.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Still larger than the GPS antenna in a car, much larger.

True, the accuracy will need to be increased... when they finally get that figured out.

They can use dipolar spaced wires in windscreens as effective antennas. Virtually loaded and gain guided. They can probably do that with thin film tech (transparent reflective coatings < 15 atoms thick) now in that frequency range.

They will be hidden by the naked eye but donning polarized shades would show them just as it reveals dot pattens on tempered glass. (from the cooling jets from the tempering process).

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
It's possible to get 30+ mpg with a classic "Heartbeat Of America" pushrod V-8, 5.0 liters, throttle bottle fuel injection. Of course the typical younger male in the driver's seat cannot keep his foot "out of the carburetor" long enough to see a hair of 20mpg let alone 30. :biggrin:

Of course, the carburetor is essentially dead, we're all on FI now.

And if I had a pushrod V8 5+ L, I'd be under 20 MPH constantly. But I don't, I have a DOHC V6 3.5L, and I come in just shy of 20 through the city, and near 25 on highways.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Set a man on fire. Modern day defibrillators promote the use of handsfree pads, as opposed to the paddles you see on TV, this is a prime example why. I was but a wee lad, and a new Paramedic, at my first ever Cardiac Arrest. Picture this: The hairiest, slightly obese Italian man with a huge pot belly, dead on the ground wearing I shit you not a hot pink polyester kimono. Long story short, forgot to apply gel to the paddles, and discharged the paddles when my hand got knocked so that there was an electric arc created. This caused the kimono, chest hair, and bed spread to go up in flames.

Funny but the capacitance discharge from a defib isn't going to produce a persistent arc to cause (human) ignition without an accelerant. ;)