++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7590 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
FFS I'm being force rebooted in 4h. It's my last shift, they couldn't wait until another day, had to do it now. Pisses me off so much that they do that shit. Do IT people not realize that we actually use our computers to do our job?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Was out chipping away at the snow bank in front of my driveway since plow went by, and the sidewalk snowblower was passing by on other side of road and driver offered to clear it for me. That was nice of him! Saved me about an hour of work and it took him like 2 minutes to do it with that machine. Funny thing is I saw him coming from corner of my eye and was thinking of waving him down to ask if he'd do it but he honked at me (hope his bank account does not get frozen for that :p) and offered to do it once he gets to the end of the street.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's this weird thing in windows 10 where if you drag a window it has a chance of causing all your windows to minimize. Since I was scheduled to be force rebooted within the next 4 hours... figured I'd just force reboot now and get it over with. Trying to restore all those windows is always super annoying.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
So, I was looking at my wall of boxes for computer parts and tools and I see my old Foxconn box for a motherboard. It takes me a bit to get the box out from all the other boxes that surround it. It's for an old FM1 motherboard. I threw that thing out some time past. It was a POS. Always having problems with that. It was supposed to just be a cheap file server solution. Figured that I didn't need a lot of horsepower for that. I still haven't found the CPU, an AMD A4 3300. It had on-board video so I didn't need a dGPU. But the chip sucked. The CPU sucked and the mobo was flakey. I had gone to the dark side in 2009 when I went with an i7 920. So, my filer server normally got the hand-me-downs. My A64 X2 went to upgrade the file server from my single core Winchester. After a couple of failed motherboards, I retired the X2 and purchased the cheap A4 3300. I think it was something like $36.I was looking at the mobo box and wondering why I still kept it (I'm going to to throw it out). I'm looking at the paper foldout (not an actual manual) and trying to think why I ever bought this mobo. It was because it was cheap (to pair with the A4). It was a bridge model. It had PCIe x16 for video and a couple of PCIe x2 for expansion. But THIS mobo came with three PCI slots. I used those for my controller cards from my previous build. That way, I didn't have to buy them over. My current build is LGA 1511. I bought new PCIe controller cards for that.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Damn just saw a video of a Russia air strike on a civilian property. Kids involved. I don't think anyone was killed, they hit the land and not the house, but damn that's sad.