++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7588 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
The weatherman says we are getting warm rain on tuesday and cold snow on thursday.
I plan to have my snowblower ready this weekend, and shop for food as well.
I dont trust the weatherman. He tells more lies than my uncle Norm.
It's going to be 80F here on Monday and possible snow/ice on Thursday. Nuts! Such a nice day today. Got my car inspected.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I has covid. Tested again and was positive this time.

Sore throat is gone now but the coughing is brutal as of last night. Seems to be slowing down a bit now though.
I just got these in the mail today. Hope I never have to use them. They are now discussing a 4th shot (a 2nd booster shot). I just want to stop wearing a mask at work. I'm probably the only one who keeps it pulled under mouth. Hope you get well soon. Don't underestimate COVID-19! Heed my warning. It loves leprechauns!
JO2zgtNl.jpg

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I just got these in the mail today. Hope I never have to use them. They are now discussing a 4th shot (a 2nd booster shot). I just want to stop wearing it at work. I'm probably the only one who keeps it pulled under mouth. Hope you get well soon. Don't underestimate COVID-19! Heed my warning. It loves leprechauns!
JO2zgtNl.jpg

They stopped giving them out here but my sister had some left. I think you can still buy them though.

The interesting thing about the testing is it seems to only come up when you are fairly far in to being sick. The first time I tested I was negative even though I was feeling sick but today I started to feel a bit better and that's when I tested positive. Probably would not trust testing as a safety net but it's more like a "good to know" thing. I was not planing to go out while sick like this anyway but now that I know for sure it's covid I'll be staying home. Not calling it in officially to count as a case though since I don't really want to be under house arrest, I will just voluntarily stay home. Suppose to start work on Monday at the office but my boss will more than likely let me work from home. I think I should be good to work by then. It was really the 2 last days that were brutal because of the sore throat.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Steam had the Dear Esther game for free.

You wander around an abandoned island, doing exactly nothing, while an emo guy whines about his life. Then you commit suicide. That's the entire game.

It received very positive reviews. :p

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I was down at the local cemetery this morning and came across a gravestone covered with chalcedony geodes. Chalcedony geodes from Arizona almost always fluorescent brilliant green under UV light. I have a lot of UV light. The opportunities for mischief are epic. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay and bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
After doing all my weekend chores, I decided to finally take apart the vaccum's canister. OMG. The most disgustingly nasty stuff you'd ever want to encounter. One step above shit. Hopefully, this will improve performance. I just replaced one of the air filters and that helped a lot. I clean the canister every week after usage, but have never torn it down completely.

734iAMBh.jpg

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Vacuum cleaners with bags are so easy. Just take the whole bag out and put it in the trash.
Cleaning that fuckin cannister is just a pain. Its more work, its dirty, and it defeats the purpose of a vacuum cleaner which is quick clean easy home care.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Having a contenious topic come up in a facebook group, I now understand twitter's character limit. People simply won't read more than 280 characters anyway.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The canister ones are usually decently easy too, the full cleaning is probably not necessarily needed that often.

I don't use my central vac anymore since I recently did buy a canister vac but the central one is from 1983 and I'm not sure if it's ever been fully cleaned. I should probably do it... but I'm also afraid of what I might find lol.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I should probably go out and deal with the week+ of snow that has accumulated so far on the truck and driveway. Going to be one hell of an archeology project. Still lot of manual shoveling to do so I can get the truck out, before I can use the snow blower to do the rest.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
The canister ones are usually decently easy too, the full cleaning is probably not necessarily needed that often.

I don't use my central vac anymore since I recently did buy a canister vac but the central one is from 1983 and I'm not sure if it's ever been fully cleaned. I should probably do it... but I'm also afraid of what I might find lol.
I rinse out the canister after I dump all the loose stuff. It's the stuff that's been accumulating underneath all those parts that becomes so gross. Like hairballs from hell. My vacuum is only 3.5 years old.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Truck won't start after sitting for a week. I think I need a new battery. Even with the charger it won't start. It's not even that cold but I plugged it in and will try in an hour. Need to get it out of the way so I can finish clearing the snow in the driveway. Did one half already.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Truck won't start after sitting for a week. I think I need a new battery. Even with the charger it won't start. It's not even that cold but I plugged it in and will try in an hour. Need to get it out of the way so I can finish clearing the snow in the driveway. Did one half already.
Reads like a couple headed for divorce.
She’s a high-maintenance lass, ain’t she?
:p

Is there rapidly clicking when you try to start it?

• Haha
Reactions: Red Squirrel

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Having a contenious topic come up in a facebook group, I now understand twitter's character limit. People simply won't read more than 280 characters anyway.
I quit Facebook some time ago. I just quit Twitter. 4 posts after the initial one and either some moron chimes in with OT stuff, or someone with a political agenda. Barf.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Reads like a couple headed for divorce.
She’s a high-maintenance lass, ain’t she?
:p

Is there rapidly clicking when you try to start it?

Every thing clicks, flashes, vibrates and does weird things. Voltage of battery was fine when tested but after trying to start it drops right down to 8. So it's done. Going to need to buy another. Managed to get it started after putting the charger on it in "start" mode for 10-15 minutes to force current into the battery. I don't get why it won't start right away with the booster on though, you'd think the whole point of it would be to push enough current to get it to start no matter what even on a 100% dead battery.

Then when I went to start the snow blower to finish the rest of the driveway that would not start either... well it started, but I think the governor is stuck at full tilt so the engine was basically in runaway. I let it go a bit and played with the choke to see if I can force it out but it eventually stalled. Won't start at all anymore now. So I did the rest with the electric snow shovel. Kind of glad I bought that thing now... I had like 2-3 feet of snow to deal with so I basically had to skim slices off the top with it. It was a decent arm workout, but beats having to drive the snow up a hill one scoop at a time. Either way all this was nearly a full day ordeal. If I'm going to do this with only the electric snow shovel I'm going to want to stay on top of it as much as I can. When it's under a foot it's bearable. The snow plow drift is an issue though... The snow shovel will deal with that but I really don't think it's made for that at all and I may eventually damage it. Everything is plastic.

A good electric snow blower is about 2 grand. I can also buy a used plow for about that much... A plow is going to make parking anywhere a pain though, but if I ever plan to go to my property in winter I will want one anyway. I think I will try to tough the rest of the year with just the snow shovel. Snow blower has let me down too many times now so I will want a more reliable replacement. Just not ready to spend 2 grand yet...

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Every thing clicks, flashes, vibrates and does weird things. Voltage of battery was fine when tested but after trying to start it drops right down to 8. So it's done. Going to need to buy another. Managed to get it started after putting the charger on it in "start" mode for 10-15 minutes to force current into the battery. I don't get why it won't start right away with the booster on though, you'd think the whole point of it would be to push enough current to get it to start no matter what even on a 100% dead battery.

Then when I went to start the snow blower to finish the rest of the driveway that would not start either... well it started, but I think the governor is stuck at full tilt so the engine was basically in runaway. I let it go a bit and played with the choke to see if I can force it out but it eventually stalled. Won't start at all anymore now. So I did the rest with the electric snow shovel. Kind of glad I bought that thing now... I had like 2-3 feet of snow to deal with so I basically had to skim slices off the top with it. It was a decent arm workout, but beats having to drive the snow up a hill one scoop at a time. Either way all this was nearly a full day ordeal. If I'm going to do this with only the electric snow shovel I'm going to want to stay on top of it as much as I can. When it's under a foot it's bearable. The snow plow drift is an issue though... The snow shovel will deal with that but I really don't think it's made for that at all and I may eventually damage it. Everything is plastic.

A good electric snow blower is about 2 grand. I can also buy a used plow for about that much... A plow is going to make parking anywhere a pain though, but if I ever plan to go to my property in winter I will want one anyway. I think I will try to tough the rest of the year with just the snow shovel. Snow blower has let me down too many times now so I will want a more reliable replacement. Just not ready to spend 2 grand yet...
Clicking of the starter is a good sign and indicates bad battery most of the time. If there is no clicking, then a starter swap will be necessary.

Starter died on me once on a Super Bowl Sunday once.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I had my starter stolen years back so I have a new one in there now. I'm pretty positive it's the battery at this point. Voltage was at 12.6 after charging it and was slowly dropping. When I tried to crank it it dropped to like 8.

I'm thankfully going to be able to work from home so don't have to worry about it not starting on me but once I'm off again I think I will go to Canadian Tire and buy a new battery. They might even install it right there and then. Not that it's hard to do, but it sucks doing in the cold so if they'll do it, I'll let them.