++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 444 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I just don't feel much like sleeping.

I'm not sure why I'm so awake.

I suspect if I tried to go to bed now.

I'd still not get to sleep.

Oops.

There are almost 24 hours in a day. Therefore four hours of rest is sufficient. More is a waste. Less can be dangerous after a few weeks.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
There are almost 24 hours in a day. Therefore four hours of rest is sufficient. More is a waste. Less can be dangerous after a few weeks.

I wish four hours were sufficient, I'd get so much more done.

However, I need 8, give or take .5. More than that and I end up with a headache all day and messed up appetite; less than that and I'm fatigued.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I wish four hours were sufficient, I'd get so much more done.

However, I need 8, give or take .5. More than that and I end up with a headache all day and messed up appetite; less than that and I'm fatigued.

It's psychological. 25 years or so ago I was in a similar boat as you. (no pun intended hehe!) Now at 47 I need no alarm clock and positively will not sleep more than 3.5-4 hours consecutively. The only exception is if I've been awake for 50+ hours straight.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
As tires go, the ones I have now just kinda suck. They're mediocre A/S rubber, really not high performance stuff.

Admittedly, the car has done everything I've asked of it. And in terms of cornering, there's clearly more to it than I have asked for. I'd bet a lot more. The tires will be the first limit. After that, the body roll, but mostly, I'm fighting the turn hard myself, trying to stay planted in the seat, hands and feet at the controls. Somewhere, somehow, I lost a bit of my enthusiasm for slinging through corners. :(

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
It's psychological. 25 years or so ago I was in a similar boat as you. (no pun intended hehe!) Now at 47 I need no alarm clock and positively will not sleep more than 3.5-4 hours consecutively. The only exception is if I've been awake for 50+ hours straight.

I do not believe it is psychological, I believe it is physiological.

If I have sufficient rest, which is to say, 7-8 hours a day for several days in a row, I can wake myself up without an alarm clock, usually within 30 minutes of when I'd like to wake up.

Also, psychological reasons don't explain why 5-6 hours a day for a week will leave me so terribly physically fatigued, aches and pains in major joints and muscles, intermittent leg cramps, severe headaches, bloodshot eyes, et cetera.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
As tires go, the ones I have now just kinda suck. They're mediocre A/S rubber, really not high performance stuff.

Admittedly, the car has done everything I've asked of it. And in terms of cornering, there's clearly more to it than I have asked for. I'd bet a lot more. The tires will be the first limit. After that, the body roll, but mostly, I'm fighting the turn hard myself, trying to stay planted in the seat, hands and feet at the controls. Somewhere, somehow, I lost a bit of my enthusiasm for slinging through corners. :(

Get rubber filled with nylon oxygen.
3Gs cornering guaranteed. Professor Lirpa says so. :D

I do not believe it is psychological, I believe it is physiological.

If I have sufficient rest, which is to say, 7-8 hours a day for several days in a row, I can wake myself up without an alarm clock, usually within 30 minutes of when I'd like to wake up.

Also, psychological reasons don't explain why 5-6 hours a day for a week will leave me so terribly physically fatigued, aches and pains in major joints and muscles, intermittent leg cramps, severe headaches, bloodshot eyes, et cetera.

Work hard, play harder! Get in physical shape and eat right! :p

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I could get a high performance all season, but even an entry-level max performance summer tire will beat UHP A/S without difficulty.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I realized I was huge geek growing up. It seems like I'm growing out of it. Reason I say so:
The other day I considered selling my Hackintosh for a i7 Mac Mini
I don't like android because it not to the point enough. I don't care enough about a phone to sit there and customize it / install more and more apps. I reminds me of windows too much.
I like the "just works" idea behind apple. The less I have tinker / mess with it the better. I just don't have the time / motivation to care.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
I generally think of winter as something to be survived. Summer is much preferable. And that holds for vehicles as well. Also, I don't do a lot of highway driving, except for the brief stint in January. If I drove that same highway route constantly, I might end up going for LM-60 or Alpins.

If I could afford them, I'd get Hakka R's for what I drive now. If I could justify the extra $15/tire for the X-Ice, and they were actually numerically any better on dry than the WS-70's, I'd get them.

And if the EWC's were in stock right now, I'd probably just get them.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
I realized I was huge geek growing up. It seems like I'm growing out of it. Reason I say so:
I don't like android because it not to the point enough. I don't care enough about a phone to sit there and customize it / install more and more apps. I reminds me of windows too much.
I like the "just works" idea behind apple. The less I have tinker / mess with it the better. I just don't have the time / motivation to care.

^^^ Apple fanboy

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005

That's the difference between a tool and a toy. ;)

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
Saw a reference to Kumho having Q/C issues, not good. Those are the cheapest summer tires. That pushes me to the next class, and if I stay with 235/45R18, which is the flawless perfect match to 215/55R17 on diameter, the next up is Conti DW, which have noted tread squirm.

245/45R18 is a much more common size, but it has speedometer error of about 1.3 MPH at 60 MPH, something like 2% error, which is a bit steep. And it's steep in the way I don't want - it reads low, so you're going faster than it says.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Blur the lines.

Point is if you're tinkering with your computer all the time you're being productive. (unless it's a bona-fide learning experience). If you get a computer, plug it in and work with it, it's a tool for being productive. A PC can do both, most enthusiast will tinker more with a PC than a Mac. That's for sure.

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
A PC can do both, most enthusiast will tinker more with a PC than a Mac. That's for sure.

Yeah and I don't care to tinker. I dont' really see the benefit.

The most tinkering I've done is install SSDs in my hackintosh and MacBook Pro