++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 1792 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Just apologize a couple more times and offer to do whatever it takes to make it right and all will be forgotten.

Let me tell you a story of one of my biggest mistakes. I started at a company and the second week I was there, they wanted me to upgrade the help desk ticketing system (Remedy -- god that sucks!) and install it on a new server. I had no Remedy experience and thought "Sure, what the hell."

So I built the new server and was having issues with the configuration. So I pulled up the production server in one window and the new server in another window. I decided I had made a mistake in my SQL install on the new server and wanted to start over. So I uninstalled SQL....

Guess what? I uninstalled the PRODUCTION SQL server -- I selected the wrong window when I did the uninstall. It was my second or third week there and I almost broke down I was so upset. It took me a few days to get everything back up, but I got it all up and running and all was forgotten. When I left, I was the best employee in the department and they loved me and that wasn't even the only mistake I made. :)

Yeah that sounds like something that would freak me out.

I'm charged with keeping my project's code repository up to date, get the binaries directly from the consultants, check their documentation is up to standard and do one last round of QA on the code.

This project is a government contract and so every last bit of paperwork and documentation has to be perfect and a whole month worth of work for the entire division is not paid until it is.

It's quite stressing right now as we'll have presidential elections on July and everyone in every government branch is being extra pedantic because when the new administration comes they'll look for any excuse to fire people and put their relatives and friends in their place.

So, I sent a whole batch of wrong code for approval two weeks ago, they gave it back yesterday and that's when I realized I'd screwed up :S

Higher execs are growing impatient because the company has failed to secure new contracts for some time, and lost some big ones we had, hence the 4 salespeople fired yesterday. I also learned yesterday that this contract I'm working in is the most profitable for the company right now, so I have to hope that the client sends back their approval of the code ASAP because we can't get paid for February until they do :|

alfa147x

Lifer
Jul 14, 2005
a6890ca7-b83a-fac6.jpg