Atkins Observations

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Does it bother any of you people that the basis for human metabolism is simple sugars? And you're taking them out of the equasion entirely?

After you're done metabolizing the fat, guess what's next!

Well, most people are on Atkins because they have a lot of fat to metabolize because they ate to many simple sugars.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Does it bother any of you people that the basis for human metabolism is simple sugars? And you're taking them out of the equasion entirely?

Yeah, that would be the point.

The idea is to limit the intake of simple sugars so the body goes thru ketosis and burns fat as opposed to the recently ingested carbs.

If some of you would actually learn a thing or two about the low carb diets you would know that carbs are added back into the diet because they are necessary.

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003

I'm not sure but I think its the fat and controlled carbs in your diet (which you increase to stop weight loss and stabalize). You would have to read the book to be sure.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Once you get to your ideal weight, you dial in the carb level thet allows you to maintain the weight.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't experience any muscle loss.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Babbles

Yeah, that would be the point.

The idea is to limit the intake of simple sugars so the body goes thru ketosis and burns fat as opposed to the recently ingested carbs.

If some of you would actually learn a thing or two about the low carb diets you would know that carbs are added back into the diet because they are necessary.

It was an honest question because I have no intentions on reading something that I have no use for. While I would certainly say that I am not at an ideal weight, I'm not entirely dissatisfied either, and were I to attempt to do something about it I would simply increase my activity level to a more healthy amount (I'm rather sedentary at the moment) and remove some of the more FATTY foods from my diet while eating MORE carbs and protein to bolster my activity level's energy requirements.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
I agree with increasing the level of activity but not increasing carbs and decreasing fat. Good fats are an essential part of your diet.

It's nteresting how some sedentary, overweight people are such experts and are so quick to critisize those who are taking steps to improve their health.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Atkins is not all water. To make a long story short, low carb diets cause the body to shift to using body fat as an energy source. This is done by limiting the primary source of energy, carbohydrates. The critics say the way this is accomplished is damaging to the body. I disagree, I think the diet is completely safe and very effective but can be very challenging, especially if your not a meat eater.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Riprorin
I agree with increasing the level of activity but not increasing carbs and decreasing fat. Good fats are an essential part of your diet.

It's nteresting how some sedentary, overweight people are such experts and are so quick to critisize those who are taking steps to improve their health.

I'm not an expert and I'll be the first to admit it. And I'm not saying taking fat out of your diet at all - I'm saying moderate it appropriately. I do agree there's a lot of critics out there, and I do have first hand experience that Atkins or Modified-Atkins diets work (my boss has lost something like 60 pounds over the last few years on it - so I know it works). I am just saying that what I know about nutrition what I would personally do to have a healthier dietary lifestyle.

And I agree with classy 100%. I believe it's initially safe because the diet calls for a balance in nutrition over the long run. However I am skeptical over the claims of increased energy and vitality. I would think that a long term lack of carbohydrates in a diet would tend to make someone lethargic, which would explain why my boss describes himself as lazy.

But again - I'll be the first to admit it: I don't know.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
So he has less energy now that he's carrying around 60 lbs less blubber?

There's a lot of reasons for being lazy. I wouldn't necessarily associate it with diet.

Pex

Banned
Aug 21, 2003
All those 10 lbs in 10 days ads are crap. sure if you stay low on carb intake and restrict your calories you'll lose water weight. if you stay with it for more than 5 weeks, then you will start to lose lbs of FAT...not water/LMM

edit: when i say stay with it, i mean do HIIT and exercise and get the right amount of nutrients and calorie intake.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Get the Hi-Lo cereal $2 at Trader Joes, and Countdown low carb dairy product, and you can eat that instead of eggs for breakfast.