Atkins Observations

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Deeko

I feel sorry for all the fat slobs who need to go on diets in the first place. Wait, no I don't.
rolleye.gif

But they aren't really fat, they are just full of water according to minendo ;)

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Chiropteran
Originally posted by: Deeko

I feel sorry for all the fat slobs who need to go on diets in the first place. Wait, no I don't.
rolleye.gif

But they aren't really fat, they are just full of water according to minendo ;)

You think you lost 5 lbs of fat in 3 days?

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
What difference does it make? I lost weight, I know I didn't lose muscle, and I fit better into clothes that were tight a couple days ago. Water, fat whatever I lost I feel better for it.

fw3308

Dec 12, 2003
been there done that. Lost 38 lbs. on Atkins. Got so sick of meat went off of it. Tried to go back on but my body said hell no! Remember that you need to do something that will be a lifestyle change, something you can forsee doing for a long time, not a crash fad or yo-yo. Good luck but I think you will find that after shocking your body into ketosis for a while that looking for a balanced diet coupled with exercise will produce better results.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
Originally posted by: fw3308
Good luck but I think you will find that after shocking your body into ketosis for a while that looking for a balanced diet coupled with exercise will produce better results.

A balanced diet plus an unbalanced metabolism is still unbalanced.

You need an unbalanced diet to correct an unbalanced metabolism.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
It could also be less food in your system (waste, etc)

When I first started eating healthy after not having eaten healthy for a while, I was down 10 lbs in several days heh.

Unfortunately it wasnt all fat.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: fw3308
been there done that. Lost 38 lbs. on Atkins. Got so sick of meat went off of it. Tried to go back on but my body said hell no! Remember that you need to do something that will be a lifestyle change, something you can forsee doing for a long time, not a crash fad or yo-yo. Good luck but I think you will find that after shocking your body into ketosis for a while that looking for a balanced diet coupled with exercise will produce better results.

Try fish?

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Green tea is a digestive aid and it has a lot of other benefits, including having anti-oxidant properties.

Bromelain and pancreatin are digestive enzymes which when taken on an empty stomach, are good anti-inflammatories.

Other good anti-inflammatories are ginger and tumeric.

I try to stay away from Tylenol, ibuprofin, and other synthetic anti-inflammatories as they rot your insides.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Bromelain and pancreatin are digestive enzymes which when taken on an empty stomach, are good anti-inflammatories.
And these can be found in green tea? If not green tea, where else can I find them?

I hear what you are saying about ibuprofin and the like... I take it often due to lower back issues (caused by a miserable 10 year career of fixing cars), and I'd really rather find a better solution.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Wingznut
And these can be found in green tea? If not green tea, where else can I find them?

I hear what you are saying about ibuprofin and the like... I take it often due to lower back issues (caused by a miserable 10 year career of fixing cars), and I'd really rather find a better solution.

I'm not sure how green tea aids in digestion.

I get bromelain and pancreatin from Vitamin World.

I suffer from osteoarthritis in my neck and tendonitis. There's a good protocol for treating inflammed tendons and joints, and osteoarthritis using natural substances. I'll send it to you tonight.

Visiting a chiropractor has helped me a lot too.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: DougK62
You big boys have it easy! I'd much rather diet than have to gain - but I suppose a lot of that is up to genetics. I wish there was a way for us skinny folk to gain weight easier. It's a huge accomplishment for me to gain 10 pounds in 6 months and keep it on.

Some of you fellas have gotten amazing results with dieting and exercise. Nice job!

Why do you want to gain weight? Why don't you try to make yourself stronger instead of calculating some stupid weight goal? Work out and take protein supplements. I don't understand the logic of setting a weight gain goal instead of a strength goal.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Originally posted by: dpopiz
heart disease is all the rage!

My lipid profile improved tremendously. I likely saved myself from a heart attack.

My doctor couldn't beleive my HDL number as it's consistent with a world class athelete, which I'm not.

Sadly, the people with quick, negative responses likely have no idea what you're talking about
rolleye.gif

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Originally posted by: beatle

My lipid profile improved tremendously. I likely saved myself from a heart attack.

My doctor couldn't beleive my HDL number as it's consistent with a world class athelete, which I'm not.

Sadly, the people with quick, negative responses likely have no idea what you're talking about
rolleye.gif

And I didn't even mention homocysteine, lipoprotein(a), or c-reactive protein. ;)

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Originally posted by: beatle

rolleye.gif

And I didn't even mention homocysteine, lipoprotein(a), or c-reactive protein. ;)

I'm ok with whey protein and I think I'll pick up some green tea but I don't know how far I want to get into supplements.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000

Wingznut, here's the info I said that I would send you:

Nutrition for Muscle and Joint Health

Good luck!

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
Geekbabe, you'd laugh if I told you what vitamins and herbs I take.

The main reasons for taking supplements are to:

Compensate for things you're lacking in your diet
Compensate for reduction in vitamins/minerals in our foods due to soil depletion
Compensate for the bodies reduced ability to produce certain natural substances as we age
Treat ailments

There a lot of things that are quite effective that are not pharmaceuticals. Of course, the medical establishment can't make big $'s of them so a lot of natural remedies aren't well known.

Personally, I will not take a pharmaceutical product until I've exhausted natural remedies.

Here's a good starting point:

Health Notes

There are several good books (written by MDs) on this topic.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001

Creactive protein? Is that the new soundcard? :p

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000

Wingznut, here's the info I said that I would send you:

Nutrition for Muscle and Joint Health

Good luck!

First thing on that list that caught my eye was the enzymes.

I started taking Vitalzym and I can say with out a doubt that it is the only suppliment along with Seasilver that truely gives me a boost in energy and a quicker recovery from any muscle strain.

BTW-I do the Fat Flush Plan, it's similar to South Beach with more emphasis on keeping your liver clean. Your liver is what metabolizes fat.

Riprorin

Banned
Apr 25, 2000
I think that low-carb foods are a rip-off. Just eat wholesome, natural stuff.

If you have a sweet tooth, they apple and peanut butter (make sure to get the type with the oil on top). There aren't many things that taste better.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Does it bother any of you people that the basis for human metabolism is simple sugars? And you're taking them out of the equasion entirely?

After you're done metabolizing the fat, guess what's next!