ATI x1800 XT to be clocked past 600/1400

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I suspected this would have to be done.

Quote: "Such cards might not be in the stores at launch date, the plan is to have them two to three weeks after the launch, but ATI will hace X1800XL cards at the time of its announcements."

So, I am guessing (this means I'm guessing ;) ) That the X1800XT will be the 600/1400 part. Then the X1800XTPE will be the 700/1400+ part that most of us will never have the priviledge of seeing except on ebay. Kind of similar to the X800XTPE.

This (to me) adds some credibility to the Sander benches at 600/1400. Why would ATI need to ramp up speed if 600/1400 was sufficient enough to best a 7800GTX? It is my opinion (this means this is just my opinion ;) ) , that they would not.

Keys.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
It will be fun to see the end result of all the models and how long it is until availability..I remember the threads in this forum of ppl whining of long preorders, out of stock waits, and having difficulty getting the last latest and greatest ATI card.

I truly hope they launch the product at any speed with wide availability otherwise it is vaporware rivaling intels P-D and P-XE (to beat out AMD's dual core optrons), as well as back a few years ago when AMDs Barton line after 2800+ was all paper launches....

I like the idea reviews dont come out until the product is available to purchase. paper launches and limited launches are marketing tricks I dont respect. Intel for the most part does this and I like it. AMD did it with its opteron lineup as well.

By the way I linked this articles hours ago in one of the countless R520 benchmark threads...

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
I'm sure I saw this before...

But if Ati can clock it higher and still have acceptable yields, then they probably will, unless somehow the 600mhz x1800 beats the 7800gtx in most benches. IMO, they'll just release a Phantom Edition card clocked at maybe 650-700 mhz that beats the gtx in most cases, and claim to have the fastest card, even if it's nowhere available for sale.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: munky

But if Ati can clock it higher and still have acceptable yields, then they probably will, unless somehow the 600mhz x1800 beats the 7800gtx in most benches. IMO, they'll just release a Phantom Edition card clocked at maybe 650-700 mhz that beats the gtx in most cases, and claim to have the fastest card, even if it's nowhere available for sale.

How can anyone respect this??? I would never give the performance title to any company unless when and if they actually deliver the card. If Nvidia can deliver mas 7800GTX's with several working SLI platforms now they are still the leaders regardless if ATI releases a PE version to steal benchmarks by 5-10%...

fierydemise

Platinum Member
Apr 16, 2005
Duvie if ATI can release large amounts of the X1800XTPE a month after launch and it takes the single card performance title will you respect that?

Ronin

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
server.counter-strike.net
What's to respect? Think about how much market share ATi has lost because they couldn't get the product out when they said they would (this includes Crossfire AND R520). They missed their original mark by trying to shoot a lot farther than they were able to. They took the risk and failed miserably, and the result of that is what you see now.

FWIW, I hope the R520 is at least competitive, and for ATi's sake, the price will need to drop quickly for them to be in any sort of situation in the desktop market to make up for the losses since the 7800 released.

Munky

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2005
Originally posted by: Duvie
Originally posted by: munky

How can anyone respect this??? I would never give the performance title to any company unless when and if they actually deliver the card. If Nvidia can deliver mas 7800GTX's with several working SLI platforms now they are still the leaders regardless if ATI releases a PE version to steal benchmarks by 5-10%...

Just leave it up to the marketing department. I know if I cant buy the card then its supposed superiority does nothing for me, but they can still launch a limited-availability card and claim to have the fastest card, while blaming the shortage on their board partners and what not. And as long as it looks good in benches, then some people will just wait until it's available, if that ever happens. I hope it doesnt come down to this, but if it happened before, it might happen again.

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: fierydemise
Duvie if ATI can release large amounts of the X1800XTPE a month after launch and it takes the single card performance title will you respect that?

Yep!!! Large amount meaning I should be able to go to countless sites and buy one...not wait for long out of stock lines or shopping on ebay where everything sells for waayyyy toooo much...

I think 1 month is fine if at time of launch the cards can be ordered even if qauntity gets snapped up quickly....I could respect that....Can't respect a repeat performance of the X850XTPE though...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Ronin
What's to respect? Think about how much market share ATi has lost because they couldn't get the product out when they said they would (this includes Crossfire AND R520). They missed their original mark by trying to shoot a lot farther than they were able to. They took the risk and failed miserably, and the result of that is what you see now.

FWIW, I hope the R520 is at least competitive, and for ATi's sake, the price will need to drop quickly for them to be in any sort of situation in the desktop market to make up for the losses since the 7800 released.

I Agree with you there...This keeps it a tight 2 company market and innovation and lower competitve prices will follow...It will do NO one any good to see ATI fall flat, though even if Sassens number were right on a slower clocked gpu, with some room for driver enhancement, I think they show they are competitive now...

compgeek89

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2004
Thinking about the fact that the GTX totally owns anything else on the market and is still priced low (relativly) the x1800 XT shouldnt be over $500 or so even if its a good deal better than the GTX.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Hmm Nvidia fanboy thread? People speculating that ATI availibiblity will be low even before the cards are released? People speculating about price, even thought GTX has a MSRP of 500 bucks?

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
no one cares a damn anymore about the GTX's supposed MSRP of 599 because it sells for about $150 lesser. dont bring your fanboyism into this thread please.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ddogg
no one cares a damn anymore about the GTX's supposed MSRP of 599 because it sells for about $150 lesser. dont bring your fanboyism into this thread please.

And how do you know ATI's card won't sell for 150 dollars less? Can you promise that 2 weeks past the release, you won't see cards selling for less than the MSRP? If no one can garentee that, then please don't post about the supposed price everyone will pay for the R520. I hate it when Nvidia fanboys cling on to every article that might look bad about ATI, and then dive in like ravens to pick it apart.

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
I suspected this would have to be done.

Quote: "Such cards might not be in the stores at launch date, the plan is to have them two to three weeks after the launch, but ATI will hace X1800XL cards at the time of its announcements."

So, I am guessing (this means I'm guessing ;) ) That the X1800XT will be the 600/1400 part. Then the X1800XTPE will be the 700/1400+ part that most of us will never have the priviledge of seeing except on ebay. Kind of similar to the X800XTPE.

This (to me) adds some credibility to the Sander benches at 600/1400. Why would ATI need to ramp up speed if 600/1400 was sufficient enough to best a 7800GTX? It is my opinion (this means this is just my opinion ;) ) , that they would not.

Keys.

hmmm.... so another xt "Press Edition"? or is that "Phantom Edition"? it's all so confusing....

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Hacp

And how do you know ATI's card won't sell for 150 dollars less? Can you promise that 2 weeks past the release, you won't see cards selling for less than the MSRP? If no one can garentee that, then please don't post about the supposed price everyone will pay for the R520. I hate it when Nvidia fanboys cling on to every article that might look bad about ATI, and then dive in like ravens to pick it apart.

geez...you're putting words into my mouth...i didnt say that ATI's cards wouldnt drop in price after x number of months. and you're just speculating that there will be this particular price drop. your post is further emphasizing your fanboyism!!!

EDIT: and you actually think it will drop that much in price after 2 weeks?? the GTX has been in mass availability for months which has enabled it to come down in price....considering ATI's "super card" clocked at 700 i highly doubt we will see massive price drops.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

geez...you're putting words into my mouth...i didnt say that ATI's cards wouldnt drop in price after x number of months. and you're just speculating that there will be this particular price drop. your post is further emphasizing your fanboyism!!!

EDIT: and you actually think it will drop that much in price after 2 weeks?? the GTX has been in mass availability for months which has enabled it to come down in price....considering ATI's "super card" clocked at 700 i highly doubt we will see massive price drops.

GTX was 50 dollars less than MSRP the first day, by rebate of XFX. Also, I never mentioned your name when I said " If NO ONE can garentee it, then don't say anything". Did I say, If YOU can't garentee it? No. You misread my post.

Also, Did I ever mention that I thought the price would be 150 dollars less than MSRP? NO. I just said that if no one can garentee that the price would stay at MSRP 2 weeks after the release, then don't post about it. I have done no speculation. I have just said that if people can't garentee that the price won't drop, then don't say that the price would be a full 150 dollars more to get a r520 than the GTX.

CaiNaM

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Hmm Nvidia fanboy thread? People speculating that ATI availibiblity will be low even before the cards are released? People speculating about price, even thought GTX has a MSRP of 500 bucks?

not at all. this type of speculation is completely warranted. back with the xt pe was released, i had 4 cards "pre-ordered" from 4 different vendors (i ended up having to purchase a PRO, and later an XT, neither of which i still have). i never could get one. while a very small % of those who ordered cards received them, the availability was so ridiculously poor these were being sold on ebay for over TWICE the suggested MSRP.

while the speculation could certainly prove wrong, questioning price and availability is well within reason given the paper launches by ati last generation, especially given the retapes and delays with getting r520 to market so far.

and you you promise it will be selling for less 2 weeks after release?

ddogg

Golden Member
May 4, 2005
Originally posted by: CaiNaM

not at all. this type of speculation is completely warranted. back with the xt pe was released, i had 4 cards "pre-ordered" from 4 different vendors (i ended up having to purchase a PRO, and later an XT, neither of which i still have). i never could get one. while a very small % of those who ordered cards received them, the availability was so ridiculously poor these were being sold on ebay for over TWICE the suggested MSRP.

while the speculation could certainly prove wrong, questioning price and availability is well within reason given the paper launches by ati last generation, especially given the retapes and delays with getting r520 to market so far.

QFT

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: CaiNaM

and you you promise it will be selling for less 2 weeks after release?

No I do not promise that it will be selling for less 2 weeks after release, but based on the GTX release it might. It might not. Just blatantly saying that the consumer will pay 150 more for the R520 than the GTX is wrong. MSRP means nothing except the suggested price .Do you know what price all the vendors will sell their R520XLs when it releases? I doubt you do. You can guess from the MSRP, but who knows. There might be discounts, like with the GTX because supply outstripped demand. There might not. Thats why blatantly stating "well the GTX is going to be 150 dollars cheaper anyways" is fanboyism! WHen the cards come out and it is actually 150 dollars cheaper, then you can say that.