ATI Radeon Rage performance / texture popping fix **

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2009
Fail game is fail.

I've pirated to test and its not even worth playing... when its free.

AnandTech does not support piracy, and we really don't want talk of piracy to litter the boards.

We can't stop you from doing what you want in your own personal time, but keep it to yourself.

Moderator jvroig

Last edited by a moderator:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Fail game is fail.

Thanks. But can I ask where this meme originated from?

"Fail game is fail"

or

"Weak Processor is weak"

etc. etc.

I've seen this many times on here and I just gotta know why and it appears beyond dumb. Sorry for the OT.

Mistwalker

Feb 9, 2007
these companies are pissing me off. Makes me want to steal skyrim instead of paying for it.
Remember the good old days, when if a product didn't meet your expectations, you...didn't purchase it? Now if something doesn't meet your personal standards, you get angry and steal it. That'll show 'em.

Fail game is fail.

How is openly admitting to piracy not against the TOS? Is this really being allowed here? What the hell, AnandTech? Allowing users to quintiple-post and have 14+ line signatures is annoying, but come on.

As for Rage, AMD really screwed up this time. I don't think their drivers deserve near the bad press they tend to get, but this time we had:

A preview driver for Battlefield 3.
A preview driver for Rage that contained the wrong files.
A preview driver for Rage that had the right files and finally made it playable, but did NOT contain the BF3 support, so you had to choose one or the other. <groan>
Finally, the "11.10 Preview 2" driver seems to have everything working fine. Still no Crossfire for Rage, but I guess both teams are lagging on that one.

To their credit, all these releases happened within a day or two of each other, so in a sense AMD did get everything (mostly) working within a week of Rage's release. But they're not amateurs, or new to the game, they knew the software was coming out...I really would have expected better. Disappointing. :(

Carmack may be out of touch with today's PC gamers, but after having your big release slammed with bad press and impressions because graphics card companies couldn't get their act together out the gate...hard to blame the guy for not liking how it played out.

Keys--check out this thread on NeoGAF, it's basically people tentatively praising what was done right now that the graphics issues are ironed out. Worth $60? Tough question.

Re: "How is openly admitting to piracy not against the TOS? Is this really being allowed here? What the hell, AnandTech?"

It's not allowed. Report the post then give us time to read your report and act on it. We can't be keeping an eye on every single new post and then immediately zap it the next second. Cut us some slack. We're all just volunteers.

For future reference, just report the post and sit tight. Don't rail against it in public and then chastise Anandtech for what you think we allow just because something hasn't been zapped the very second you want it zapped.

Just a reminder for you and hopefully guidance for the rest in case they are also wondering. No infractions here.

Moderator jvroig

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2009
Im not encouraging piracy.. in fact, im against it.

But with all the bad rap i wasn't about to spend $60 on a pos game, and its true, its terrible, buggy and bad gameplay.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Is this game worth the 60.00 bucks? Now don't say "yes" only because you've bought it already and don't want to appear like a dumba**. :D

Seriously though. How is it?

If you liked Borderlands then you'll like Rage. Just be sure to use the 11.10 BF3/Rage preview driver to avoid the most glaring issues Keys. : p lol
The game is actually a pretty good length by todays standards. 20-24 hours if you do all the side quests and like to find all the loot, it could probably be blown through it in half that though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I don't think Keys will be using AMD's drivers :)

Good luck with that then.......I tried using the latest nVidia driver and those pieces of junk wouldn't even install for me. :)

Mistwalker

Feb 9, 2007
Im not encouraging piracy.. in fact, im against it.
Actions louder than words, etc.

I don't think Keys will be using AMD's drivers :)
That, good sir, is the joke. ;)

I'm just glad there's finally working software from Nvidia and AMD both, now just gotta wait for Crossfire/SLI profiles. Then we can all put this debacle behind us and wait for Arkham City and Skyrim...please, AMD, have drivers ready at launch for those! <fingers crossed>

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I probably will never purchase another game unless a playable demo is available for it. I won't sink that much cash into another dud again in my lifetime. No playable demo, no cash from me.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Is this game worth the 60.00 bucks? Now don't say "yes" only because you've bought it already and don't want to appear like a dumba**. :D

Seriously though. How is it?
I don't have the game, but that is because I don't want do d/l 20gb. The game is beautiful IMO. 60 bucks is a lot for a game, but knowing that it is from a new engine with smarter A.I. and 20gb of art, it isn't expensive at all.

The problem is not on the game Rage, the problem is the trend nowadays, that games are balanced for gifted kids under 8 and don't know how to use a keyboard. Lots of arts, minimum gameplay if it isn't simply a clone and sea of QQ everywhere you look. There are only a few gamers left, the rest are overgrown babies who likes to play hardware with games. Having a smarter A.I. in a FPS is by itself already a selling point, but people tend to look at things up close and complaint about the art. Zoom in, zoom in more, "WHAT! SUCKS!!! WORTHLESS!!!! DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Last edited:

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
Rage Preview driver v1 worked okay, but texture popup is a nightmare. Rage driver v2 is a big mess, glitches on NPC's & enemies, random pauses where everything you do for the next 2 seconds is replayed at about 1000FPS and for some reason the double barrel shotgun animation stays on the open for reloading but still fires.

I only bought this becuase of iD and a voucher that cut the price by 50&#37;. Bethesda & iD have really started to suck lately. PC Gaming may not be dieing but the publishers & developers are.

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
Rage Preview driver v1 worked okay, but texture popup is a nightmare. Rage driver v2 is a big mess, glitches on NPC's & enemies, random pauses where everything you do for the next 2 seconds is replayed at about 1000FPS and for some reason the double barrel shotgun animation stays on the open for reloading but still fires.

I only bought this becuase of iD and a voucher that cut the price by 50%. Bethesda & iD have really started to suck lately. PC Gaming may not be dieing but the publishers & developers are.

You may want to try doing a complete uninstall (maybe even then running driver sweeper) and then reinstalling the newest rage/bf3 preview driver as it seems to be working fine for most everyone else. It doesn't happen often but every once in a while an install over previous version just seems to go wrong.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
iD released a patch for the game on Saturday 10/09/11, that not only added additional in-game graphic options but appears to have corrected a number of performance issues.

It's made a dramatic difference on my dual core 512MB 9800 GT setup.

Although I'd rather have a quad core and 1GB VRAM the game is very playable now.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Besides bugs or whatever, why does nearly everyone hate the game? I'm not interested in it personally since I don't usually play r games but i'm not seeing anyone bring out a list of whats bad about the gameplay and such? I figure a game like this would be a welcome title for most people...

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
Besides bugs or whatever, why does nearly everyone hate the game? I'm not interested in it personally since I don't usually play r games but i'm not seeing anyone bring out a list of whats bad about the gameplay and such? I figure a game like this would be a welcome title for most people...

Haters gona hate ;)

With bugs/glitches aside (most have been resolved btw) the game itself is pretty fun and abit different to borderlands/fallout3 as some claim. Wonder if they will release a super texture pack though.

tincart

Apr 15, 2010
I have never found id games to have a particularly compelling single-player experience, so I waited for reviews. Glad I did.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I think AMD did a good job of getting working drivers out pretty quickly, although releasing the wrong ones didnt help.

But having to wait for drivers at all just frustrates the many gamers who already patiently had to wait until their game unlocked, then couldnt play anyway.

Here is where i get confused......Dont AMD and Nvidia get early copies of the final/retail games like game reviewers do, so they can test and have working drivers available at launch?

Seemed odd to me that Nvidia and AMD were both scrambling to fix issues on this release.

If AMD and/or Nvidia didnt have early final/retail copies of the game available to test and be sure they had working drivers at launch, then id is as much to blame for the botched launch as they are IMO......Its not like id didnt know gamers would be playing on either Nvidia or AMD hardware and id should have at the very least tested their game on that hardware.
Makes you wonder what drivers they used to test the game.