ATI Radeon Rage performance / texture popping fix **

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by blackened23, Oct 4, 2011.

1. blackened23

blackened23 Diamond Member

Temporary fix for ATi flickering issue

Driver to be released later today! DO NOT USE THE CURRENT RAGE DRIVER! They mistakenly packed it with an old opengl driver which causes performance problems/artifacts. In the meantime:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystOpenGL42BetaWin.aspx

For those of you insinuating that this is people w/ outdated systems/drivers, you are incorrect. ATi already tweeted that they know the issue is because they mistakenly packaged an old OpenGL version into the latest ATi Rage performance hotfix.

Installing the proper version of the open GL driver should fix the problem.

also:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25497361#post25497361

Originally Posted by nightlordv
    Can you elaborate on this as to what exactly cvar is? Can this be changed or modified?
    It is fs_cachepath and it shows the users\username\appdata\local\id software\rage directory but I looked on my hard drive and the directory doesn't exist.

Hot damn. I just added a new folder there and reloaded the game and it has 1GB of files there. Can anyone check if the directory exists?

It is 1GB because I edited +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 in the launch options. I will check if it helped in game now.

The cvar edits have to be in the launch options as far as I know. Entering them in the console doesn't work.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Radeon Rage performance Forum Date
    radeon 7000(VE) VS Rage Fury Pro(should i upgrade?) Video Cards and Graphics Apr 7, 2003
    Just bought the Radeon 7000 AGP to replace my ATI RAGE/Fury 128 Video Cards and Graphics Jul 21, 2002
    No more ATI Rage Theatre chip in Radeon 7500, 8500? Why? Video Cards and Graphics Jun 18, 2002
    Universal ATI (Radeon & Rage) Drivers?! They're Out! Video Cards and Graphics Mar 13, 2002
    Radeon 2D performance worse than Rage 128? Video Cards and Graphics Dec 20, 2000

3. JSt0rm

JSt0rm Lifer

these companies are pissing me off. Makes me want to steal skyrim instead of paying for it.

4. DooKey

DooKey Golden Member

id didn't write the bad drivers for Rage. AMD screwed this pooch.

5. Lonyo

Lonyo Lifer

id wrote a bad engine which has issues on both AMD and NV systems.
    AMD then managed to release a borked 'updated' driver to make things even worse.

6. JSt0rm

JSt0rm Lifer

they should be communicating with each other. When they list nvidia and amd's products in the required specs then those products should work. It shouldnt be my problem thats what I pay money for.

7. IGemini

IGemini Platinum Member

8. JSt0rm

JSt0rm Lifer

The game looks like its running on that :)

9. Lonbjerg

Lonbjerg Diamond Member

If you have an AMD card yup...NVIDIA...not a sure thing.

10. blackened23

11. Attic

Attic Diamond Member

Game looks amazing, absolutely friggen incredible in the outdoor areas. Sky is the best ive seen. Glad there is a fix for Radeon owners.

12. apoppin

apoppin Lifer

Wow, you must be on AMD's "hot list" also. i got an urgent update at 2:19 PM from AMD PR with the note, "Hopefully this deRages the situation…"
    --Unfortunately, i was busy with some other things under NDA (not from AMD Graphics for a change)
    ():)

i am uncertain if this is known, but my contact pointed this out; it seems pretty important:
    Rage Fury 32 was my first gaming video card.

#11 apoppin, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  13. Plimogz

Plimogz Senior member

Finally. After this long wait. Won't be long now :)

Hey apoppin, do you see yourself benchmarking with Rage?

14. blackened23

The new driver fixes artifacts/glitches. You must also do this! Rage has 1 game stopping bug that can potentially cause a *ton* of texture popin:

1) Go to C:\Users\\AppData\Local and then create a folder called 'id software' without the quotes.
    2) Inside that folder I created another folder 'rage' again without quotes.

Launched Rage and noticed that a cache file was now created in that new folder structure. I don't know if it's cashing textures in there now to help eliminate the pop-in or what. I found this over in the steam forums.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=25497361#post25497361

15. blackened23

No day 1 PC game should be this much hassle, but with all these fixes, the game should run well on AMD cards.

16. WMD

WMD Senior member

17. Grooveriding

Grooveriding Diamond Member

Fix for the texture problems.

1.Create a Rage shortcut with the following launch parameters:
    +cvaradd g_fov 12 +com_allowconsole 1 +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +image_anisotropy 16 +image_usecompression 0 +g_showplayershadow 1 +m_smooth 0

2.Create a file called rageconfig.cfg in Rage/base/ and put the following commands in there:
    vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192
    vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192
    vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192
    vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192

3. Go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\ and create a folder called "id software" (without "). Then create a folder called "rage" (without ") inside that folder.

4. Run game and play.

18. WMD

WMD Senior member

Anyone tested the latest drivers?

19. Stuka87

Stuka87 Diamond Member

Arg, I knew somebody was going to beat me to it. I saw ATI and Rage in the same sentence and this is exactly what I thought.

I still remember my 6MB Rage Pro Turbo in my Bonbi Blue rev/B iMac. It was ok, then I dropped a Voodoo2 into it and was a night and day difference.

As for the actual issues, I think a lot of it is ID's fault. If only AMD or only nVidia were having issues, we could blame it on them. But with both having issues, something with the game itself is at fault.

20. VashHT

VashHT Platinum Member

This was working great for me until I got to Wellspring, in that town all of the character models are screwed up and flickering and have jerky animations.

21. ariefc

ariefc Junior Member

22. AdamK47

AdamK47 Lifer

Why is it that when a new game is released, more often than not, it's ATI that has the driver problems? I noticed this ALWAYS happening when I was running 5870s.

23. 3DVagabond

3DVagabond Lifer

Are you thinking that nVidia cards have no issues?

http://beefjack.com/news/rage-id-amd-nvidia-actively-working-to-resolve-pc-issues/

24. RussianSensation

RussianSensation Elite Member

"Despite strong reviews for Rage, reports are emerging that the PC version of id’s new shooter has been rendered unplayable thanks to a variety of show-stopping bugs, glitches and other problems – issues that don’t appear to affect the Xbox 360 or PS3 versions of the game."
    Source

PC game that runs better on 6-year-old consoles. Oh boy.

25. WMD

WMD Senior member

PS3 version is plagued with texture pop in issues as well.

Hard to believe they took 6 years to develop the game but did not bother to test the PC version on an ATI gpu.

26. Keysplayr

Keysplayr Elite Member

Is this game worth the 60.00 bucks? Now don't say "yes" only because you've bought it already and don't want to appear like a dumba**. :D

Seriously though. How is it?