Athlon 5350 mini video Review

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
This CPU Multithreaded test hm, comments and complaints are welcome but only without creating jams.:biggrin:
And to complete the picture, look where that 8c Avoton Atom is going :)

If anything, these low power cores will teach both Intel and AMD a lot about efficiency.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
Kabinis direct competitor is the ATOM based Celerons/Pentiums. And no the ATOM based Celerons/Pentiums cannot even play Minecraft.

AMD has other products to compete against Haswell based Celerons/Pentiums. Why nobody here compare the Haswell Pentium against AMD Trinity/Richland ?? They are directly competitors and closer in TDP, closer in price than Kabini.

So, you can buy an Intel ATOM based Celeron/Pentium or AMD Kabini. If you are interested in Haswell Celerons/Pentium you have Trinity/Richland as an alternative.
Simple as that. ;)

You still don't get it. You don't get to decide (100%) what the competition is. AMD doesn't have complete control over the competition. The market decides.

Nobody here is comparing the pentium/celeron to trinity/richland/kaveri because this is the kabini thread.

You are looking at this in black and white. Either you want kabini/atom or pentium/celeron IVB/HW or trinity/richland when there is a huge area of grey between them.

Minecraft on T100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdNfIEJgN54

This CPU Multithreaded test hm, comments and complaints are welcome but only without creating jams.:biggrin:

Piledriver has really weak FPU. You are comparing basically two big FPU with HT+ (an analogy but there are two shared hardware units) with 4 small FPU.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
You still don't get it. You don't get to decide (100%) what the competition is. AMD doesn't have complete control over the competition. The market decides.
So, are you sure you know what the market will decide?

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
Impressive little chip. Almost 2 times faster than E2200 that I have to use everyday in work... such a hassle.

There is a lot of room for am1 in developing countries. Schools, offices, administration - in those areas every penny counts.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Well, you guys asked for it.

AMD+Desktop+Q1+2014+_VTB_Page_15.jpg

Newegg: (whiout offers or specials)

mITX:
Athlon 5350 = $65
MSI AM1I = $35
=$100

ASRock H81M-ITX = $60
Celeron G1820 = $50
=$110

mATX
Athlon 5350 = $65
GIGABYTE GA-AM1M-S2H = $35
=$100

MSI H81M-E33 $50
Celeron G1820 = $50
=$100

Athlon 5350 pros
-low power
-AES/AVX
-Mantle(?)

Celeron G1820 pros
-up to a i7 upgrade
-higher cpu perf
-higher igp perf
-full pci-e x16

Can you guys stop with the nonsence that they are not comparable? thanks

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
People here dont understand how the market operates. They only have a single perspective and that is performance and performance per cost. If Haswell Celeron was the perfect SKU for every job Intel would not release the ATOM based Celeron/Pentium SKUs to the desktop. Intel would not introduce the 35W Haswell Celeron/Pentium Dektop SKUs either.
OEMs would not release products featuring 35W Celeron/Pentium SKUs, customers would only purchase a single SKU for every job.

25W 2GHz Kabini Quad Core is that good that can see straight in the eye the big boys, the 35W Haswell Celerons/Pentiums. OEMs can make slimmer, more aesthetic and cheaper AIOs by using 25W TDP SKUs like Kabinis or even 10W TDP ATOM based Celerons/Pentiums than 35/55W Haswell SKUs. Customers can make extreamly low power 24/7 Desktop PCs, HTPCs or Home Servers with those 10/25W TDP SKUs.
But people here only believe in one god, performance. And it is understandable, this is not an OEM forum. ;)

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
So, are you sure you know what the market will decide?

No.

No one knows. Its just like the stock market. You can make educated guesses but you can't know for certain, even when its your product.

That's the point. AMD, Intel, Nvidia can try to position their products but if a competitor reduces prices then the product could end up in a more or less favorable light.

People compare products based on many factors. No one goes (there may be an insignificant few) "I want my CPU to use 25W and no more". The consumer looks at a number of factors such as in this case price, performance, their usage habits, power use, upgradibility, etc. If they don't care about upgrading (its going to be an office box for the next 6 years) then that's not a factor. If they just want something cheap then they look for something the necessary performance that is cheap. If they want games then they look for something that can play games.

Creating artificial distinctions such as "54W Pentium cannot be compared to kabini/baytrail because it uses more power" is fine if that is your selection criteria but its most certainty not the selection criteria for the market as a whole and one needs to be aware of it.

Celeron/pentium and AMD's low end trinity/richland check enough of the boxes (higher performance at the expense of greater cost and power consumption) that for most people they are certainty in the running.

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
People here dont understand how the market operates. They only have a single perspective and that is performance and performance per cost. If Haswell Celeron was the perfect SKU for every job Intel would not release the ATOM based Celeron/Pentium SKUs to the desktop. Intel would not introduce the 35W Haswell Celeron/Pentium Dektop SKUs either.
OEMs would not release products featuring 35W Celeron/Pentium SKUs, customers would only purchase a single SKU for every job.

And what socketed kabinis has to do with any of that? at the moment they decide to go with a socket and release it as the Sempron/Athlon AM3 reeplacement they are in fact in the same sector as low end Haswells, and they are also on the same price range too, in fact the 5350 is really expensive, its on the G3220 range, you are depending on a cheap mb to reduce price as a platform, especially the Athlons, AMD also had soldered Kabinis for OEMs to use.

Simply put, if you say it cant be compared to Haswell Celeron, it cant be compared to BT-D either, there are some huge differences there, and im not talking about performance, period.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
People compare products based on many factors. No one goes (there may be an insignificant few) "I want my CPU to use 25W and no more".

Explain us why intel sell CPUs which are specified from a few watts to as much as 150W , what is the use of so much SKUs, with different TDPs in a same CPU line, sorry what you say doesnt make sense.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
Explain us why intel sell CPUs which are specified from a few watts to as much as 150W , what is the use of so much SKUs, with different TDPs in a same CPU line, sorry what you say doesnt make sense.

Because they operate at different levels of performance?

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Because they operate at different levels of performance?

Certainly and performance is directly related to power comsumption, in that respect the low power solutions under debate provide a performance level that is adequate for 90% of the market.

At the start theses plateforms targeted mainly countries where the monthly average salary is in the 400-800$ range but the low cost will prove attractive even in high income countries were multiple PCs are used by a single household hence being relegated in the commodity department like phone and other tablets and likely to be upgraded on a 4-5 years term given the very low cost of the upgrade with MB + APU cost being sub 100$.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
Tom's Hardware has what is probably the best review on this, and the best conclusion that seems to summarize what is being said here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-5350-am1-platform-review,3801-10.html

"I can also say that, given a choice between Intel and AMD in this particular segment, the AM1 platform clearly wins. "

"From an enthusiast's perspective, it's hard to imagine an environment where AMD's new AM1 platform is ideal, except in cases where very low-power and diminutive enclosures are desirable. Otherwise, this could be the foundation for a cheap computer a more mainstream user with simpler needs uses to check email and browse the Web. In ultra-low-cost developing markets, it probably also makes a lot of sense."

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Tom's Hardware has what is probably the best review on this, and the best conclusion that seems to summarize what is being said here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-5350-am1-platform-review,3801-10.html

"I can also say that, given a choice between Intel and AMD in this particular segment, the AM1 platform clearly wins. "

"From an enthusiast's perspective, it's hard to imagine an environment where AMD's new AM1 platform is ideal, except in cases where very low-power and diminutive enclosures are desirable. Otherwise, this could be the foundation for a cheap computer a more mainstream user with simpler needs uses to check email and browse the Web. In ultra-low-cost developing markets, it probably also makes a lot of sense."

That's pretty much the take away from everyone who doesn't feel a ridiculous need to turn computer hardware into a team sport. It's clearly targeted and priced to be in the same sector as Atom and Brazos, and in that sector it's now the best.

Kabini to me looks a like a great value at the $60-$90 mobo+cpu price range especially considering that AMD seems to have finally produced a chip with good idle wattage usage. It looks ideal as a htpc for those who want more flexibility than an all-in-one solution provides, as a cheap nas or micro server, or as a budget system for a grand parent who just needs a machine that works.

People need to not be so concerned about what a product isn't or how it doesn't suit their uses, but about what it is and that their uses aren't typical.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
People need to not be so concerned about what a product isn't or how it doesn't suit their uses, but about what it is and that their uses aren't typical.

Some people seem to think that a CPU is worthless, just because they can't use it to build a top-speed distributed rendering farm.

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
And what socketed kabinis has to do with any of that? at the moment they decide to go with a socket and release it as the Sempron/Athlon AM3 reeplacement they are in fact in the same sector as low end Haswells,

Just saying something doesn't mean it's true. There are a few ways to deciper the target market for a product, it's price, it's features, it's marketing. All three of those measures point to Kabini being target to a sff, entry level market where power usage and platform cost are priorities over maximizing performance. To think that simply because there is crossover with a competitors product in one one of those categories automatically means that they're competing products all while ignoring the differences is silly. By that measure Intel is competing with itself with Bay Trail which it's not because they're targeted at different markets.

and they are also on the same price range too,
As are other products like Richland based CPU's. Doesn't matter unless your only looking for price per performance and are willing to pony to pay the extra cost to upgrade from the $70-$90 cost of a Kabini itx system and don't also mind the extra power consumption.

in fact the 5350 is really expensive, its on the G3220 range, you are depending on a cheap mb to reduce price as a platform
Considering that every cpu requires some sort of motherboard then looking at platform cost tends to be the smart move.

especially the Athlons, AMD also had soldered Kabinis for OEMs to use.
Yes, it's almost as if AMD has different customers that have different needs. Some want the simplest solution possible and they can use embedded boards, others might have different needs and can use the added flexability that a socketed solution offers.

Simply put, if you say it cant be compared to Haswell Celeron, it cant be compared to BT-D either, there are some huge differences there, and im not talking about performance, period.
You can compare it against a i7 if you want but just because you can doesn't mean you should or that it isn't a stupid comparison.

At the end of the day Kabini, much like Bay Trail, has fairly clearly defined target markets. One can say a Haswell itx platform is only $20-$30 and it only uses more energy but that can be applied to every platform choice a Pentium is only $20 more than a Celeron, a i3 is only $20 more than the highest Pentium. None of that matters if the the platforms has the balance of features/cost/performance that fits your needs. Why should someone spend $110 on something if they can spend $80 and get a solution that does what they want? Because someone on the internet says yeah but for only $30 more they can get something else?

SViscusi

Golden Member
Apr 12, 2000
Some people seem to think that a CPU is worthless, just because they can't use it to build a top-speed distributed rendering farm.

It just seems so odd to me. I absolutely love computers, I don't game and buy a video cards every few years when mine breaks but I love when Amd or Nvidia releases a good product, I rarely upgrade my pc but I love that Intel as been able to continue to make solid gains with each generation and is able to offer a quality product at multiple price points, I love that AMD has seemed to figure out what type of company they want to be and have now put out good competitive solutions at multiple sectors/price points.

The idea that because a good product isn't targeted at me or isn't made by a company I'm a fan of and thus must argue against the product just seems strange to me and it's quite disrespectful to hijack the post from the author of this thread who did a lot of nice work benchmarking his hardware.

pw257008

Jan 11, 2014
It just seems so odd to me. I absolutely love computers, I don't game and buy a video cards every few years when mine breaks but I love when Amd or Nvidia releases a good product, I rarely upgrade my pc but I love that Intel as been able to continue to make solid gains with each generation and is able to offer a quality product at multiple price points, I love that AMD has seemed to figure out what type of company they want to be and have now put out good competitive solutions at multiple sectors/price points.

The idea that because a good product isn't targeted at me or isn't made by a company I'm a fan of and thus must argue against the product just seems strange to me and it's quite disrespectful to hijack the post from the author of this thread who did a lot of nice work benchmarking his hardware.

:thumbsup:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
AMD is off to a good start with AM1. But I still think Beema 15w on AM1 might be the perfect low cost/low power APU. AMD needs to get that into AM1 sockets by year end. 15w Beema beats 25w Kabini by 20% on CPU/GPU . Beema looks to have better power management, improved DVFS and turbo mechanism, better perf and perf/watt. AMD needs to run fast and hard with the opportunity they have in front of them.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7514/amd-2014-mobile-apu-update-beema-and-mullins

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Can you suggest me a good fan for the heatsink stock?
I doubt you need to replace the stock fan, simply adjusting RPM should be enough to make the system completely silent.

The OP already stated he's pleasantly surprised by how silent the fan is.
I must add that i have owned and tried every single AMD stock cooler since Athlon XP and shockingly the am1 cooler dosent make any noise ??? :D it also remains all the time under 38 °C.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
AMD also had soldered Kabinis for OEMs to use.

Those BGA APUs are for the embedded segment, AM1 APUs are for the consumer market.

you are depending on a cheap mb to reduce price as a platform

That is because there is NO chipset in the motherboard, the Kabini and ATOMs are SoCs, the motherboard only has the I/O connections, that is the reason they are cheap.

Its not about the TDP, it is the specifically segment Intel and AMD are targeting with those Kabinis and ATOMs. They targeting a different market than Haswell/Trinity/Richland. They may be some of the High-End products from the Kabini/ATOM SKUs that overlap the cheapest Trinity/Richland/Haswell SKUs but that doesnt mean they targeting the same segment.

35W TDPs Haswell Celerons are in the same segment.

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
I do not know the perf of a 35W haswell, im not gona even mention it until i see some review.

Its not about TDP, agreed, but if we are talking about prices(whiout specials), you just cant ignore the fact that the G1820 is on the same price range than a 5350, you just said its not about TDP and them want to compare it to a 35W Haswell because of the TDP, failed logic right there.

If we look at prices, its like i said on the other tropic, the Sempron 2650 compites with the J1800, the Sempron 3850 with J1900 and 5350 with G1820 and A4-4000.
But i still think the J1900 is quite expensive and sort in the middle of the 3850 and 5150.

With the prices set, we need to look at the pro and cons on every combo out there.
The point is, you just cant ignore prices, that the first thing to look at.

I do see people here tring to ignore the prices just for the sake of trying to bend reality in favor of AM1, thats just odd. Semprons are ok, i do see them right on BT-D area, but its imposible to ignore, that the 5150 and 5350 are stepping over not only G1820 area, but Richland A4-4000/5300 too.

Last edited:

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
I do not know the perf of a 35W haswell, im not gona even mention it until i see some review.

Its not about TDP, agreed, but if we are talking about prices(whiout specials), you just cant ignore the fact that the G1820 is on the same price range than a 5350, you just said its not about TDP and them want to compare it to a 35W Haswell because of the TDP, failed logic right there.

If we look at prices, its like i said on the other tropic, the Sempron 2650 compites with the J1800, the Sempron 3850 with J1900 and 5350 with G1820 and A4-4000.
But i still think the J1900 is quite expensive and sort in the middle of the 3850 and 5150.

With the prices set, we need to look at the pro and cons on every combo out there.

I do see people here tring to ignore the prices just for the sake of trying to bend reality in favor of AM1, thats just odd. Semprons are ok, i do see them right on BT-D area, but its imposible to ignore, that the 5150 and 5350 are stepping over not only G1820 area, but Richland A4-4000/5300 too.

And what are the CPU performance A4-5300,:biggrin: so what kind of Multithread performance has A4-5300 vs 1.5ghz X4 Jaguar CPU?

http://www.techspot.com/review/671-amd-a4-5000-kabini/page4.html

Athlon 5350 has 500mhz higher CPU frequency than A4-5000 Kabini APU, then X4 Athlon 5350/25W TDP vs X2 A4-5300/65W TDP Trinity APU?:cool:

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
you just said its not about TDP and them want to compare it to a 35W Haswell because of the TDP, failed logic right there.

They are in the same segment because the TDP allow OEMs to use both SKUs in the same Slim, Thermal constrain, Low Power designs. Also the energy/power usage and price is equivalent.

Those Low Power Kabinis/ATOMs are like Haswell ULVs. Haswell ULVs are slower than cheaper and or same priced SKUs but they command a price premium because they are LOW POWER products targeting the ULV segment. Same happens with Kabini/ATOM, they are Low Power Desktop SKUs and they are priced higher than ordinary Desktop SKUs.

I dont ignore prices, but you ignore the market they are targeting at. At the same price as Athlon 5350, AMD has Trinity and Richland SKUs to compete against Haswell based Celerons and Pentiums. As i have said before, obviously if you are only looking for the best performance per price you will not choose the Athlon 5350 but you will go for Trinity/Richland or Haswell Celeron/Pentium. Just because the High-End Kabini happens to have the same price doesnt mean it competes in the same market as Richland for example. Same applies for ATOM based Celerons/Pentiums.

AJSB

Mar 28, 2014
Athlon 5350 tested under linux, power comsumption when loaded is 20W
for the whole system.

http://www.servethehome.com/Workstation-detail/amd-athlon-5350-linux-benchmarks-review/

That results were severely impacted by some unkown (for now) issues that were solved with new Kernel....

Check new review here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_athlon_r3linux&num=1

Notice also that what was tested was using OSS video drivers....soon there will be tests with AMD Catalyst...