Athlon 5350 mini video Review

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Its nothing that its direct competitor cant do(and better) for the same money, what kind of advertising is that?

Its like Intel advertising the igp of a BT-D.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Hopefully ASRock implements these options b/c at this point their AM1 boards are the only ones with 4 SATA ports.

In principle you can connect several items in a single sata port with an AMD sata controler, of course you ll share bandwith but Kabini has a 6gbit/s controler and one port can be exclusively reserved to the SSD/HDD for full bandwith while the shared bandwith on a second port doesnt matter.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Its nothing that its direct competitor cant do(and better) for the same money, what kind of advertising is that?

Not sure how to respond, are you saying that you cant advertise a feature that some other entity has, then linkedin shouldnt exist becuase there is always someone better...or MS shouldnt advertise gaming on the xb1 because pcs and ps4 do it better?

Also show me empirical evidence that the G1610 can perform better, and that might make your baseless claim actually have a base.:whiste:

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Can you please make a Mini ITX build with 4 SATA ports, same money or better? PCI-E slot would also be a plus.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

It s not its direct competitor, it s obvious from the numbers published by the most accurate sites and according to AMD own s marketing.

10%20APU%20Pricing_575px.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7933/the-desktop-kabini-review-part-1-athlon-5350-am1/2

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
AMD can market at and advertise against whatever they pick. However, in a capitalist economy the market (and the consumers) decide.

A bit off topic Can you please tell that to the many monopolies that exist...sometimes there are forces that prevent the option of choice. Geographical, economical, strategic etc.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
AMD can market at and advertise against whatever they pick. However, in a capitalist economy the market (and the consumers) decide.

The products on this slides are targeted for the 30-35W power comsumption segment, it doesnt matter if a 80W system has better perfs , wich is quite logical, the whole point is to provide products that work within this constrained power usage for generic tasks but unfortunately the low power feature has been buried by mediocre reviews through fictional set ups that will never exist in a real offering, i mean , find me a single BT or Kabini based PC that use a 850 or 1200W PSU, a total heresy given not only power but also the low cost profile of the mentioned APUs/CPUs.

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
A bit off topic Can you please tell that to the many monopolies that exist...sometimes there are forces that prevent the option of choice. Geographical, economical, strategic etc.

I'm not sure what you mean. My comment was simply that AMD, intel, Nvidia, etc. can market anything against another competitor's product but if the market shifts or there is a better alternative that marketing becomes useless.

I see what AMD is doing on that slide. They are comparing quad core vs. quad core. But this is an artificial distinction. If two cores can do something better than 4 then do you care about the core count as a consumer?

AMD can market quad vs. quad and perhaps they will sway some customers, but anyone who does some research will realize that in actual tasks dual cores can compete with and even beat that quad core.

IE) Hawaii's price increase due to BTC. AMD marketed it against the 780 at a lower price but due to market forces it quickly became much worse in terms of perf/$.

Positioning matters but the market matters too.

AMD intends the 5350 to compete with the J2900 but there is no reason why it can't compete with the IVB/HW celerons/pentiums. If that slide is true, AMD doesn't consider the 5350 a competitor to the celeron/pentium; that doesn't mean that the market/consumer isn't going to consider it a competitor.

I don't care about these positioning slides or ARK prices. What matters to me is what I can go out and buy right now.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
before more haswell fud, here is the amd a6-5200 x4 @2Ghz[thermally constrained athlon 5350] vs an ivybridge g1620 x2 @2.7Ghz

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/is/1585486/is/892034

still searching for results for the g1820 haswell...but I doubt the resuls will be much different.

Time to change the beat. :)
Haswell GT1 (found on Celeron/Pentium chips) beat AM1 Kabini in all gaming tests by PCLab: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2377574

That's mainly due to the improved 10 EUs Gen 7.5 iGPU (compared to Ivy Bridge GT1's 6 EUs Gen 7 iGPU) cause all tests were done in 1080p.

Last edited:

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Time to change the beat. :)
Haswell GT1 (found on Celeron/Pentium chips) beat AM1 Kabini in all gaming tests by PCLab: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2377574

That's mainly due to the improved 10 EUs Gen 7.5 iGPU (compared to Ivy Bridge GT1's 6 EUs Gen 7 iGPU) cause all tests were done in 1080p.

so its seems that the cpu does help the gpu out alot. So haswell hd graphics has 10 eus?
also what happens when you drop the resolution to 720p? the 5350 is majorly BW limited, would the lead for haswell extend or become reduced?

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011

I digged through PClab since you seemingly like thoses polish sites and here a few interesting hints.

First let see the G3220 and 5350 perf in CB 11.5 wich is not known as being a bench that favour AMD :

cinebench_render.png

The 5350 score is 2 :

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/533...ope-desktopplatforms-benchmarks-cinebench-115

Hence the G3220 is 28.5% better and will render the scene 28.5% faster.

But let s ponderate thoses results with the consumed power during CB 11.5:

energia_cine.png

This include a GFX and this add exactly 26W over the GFX less system so the real comsumption of the G3220 system is only 52W.

Now the 5350 system does consume 26.3W when performing CB11.5 :

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/533...topplatforms-stroomverbruik-cinebench-115-max

So the G3220 system is 28.5% faster but to do so it will consume 100% more energy, quite an achievment, isnt it....

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
so its seems that the cpu does help the gpu out alot. So haswell hd graphics has 10 eus?
also what happens when you drop the resolution to 720p? the 5350 is majorly BW limited, would the lead for haswell extend or become reduced?

Not sure, but I guess Haswell's CPU advantage could also become more evident at 720p. It's a shame that we have so few tests/info about these chips.

monstercameron

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2013
Not sure, but I guess Haswell's CPU advantage could also become more evident at 720p. It's a shame that we have so few tests/info about these chips.

yep I agree, its interesting that pcper was testing relatively lowend chip recently...

Enigmoid

Platinum Member
Sep 27, 2012
I digged through PClab since you seemingly like thoses polish sites and here a few interesting hints.

First let see the G3220 and 5350 perf in CB 11.5 wich is not known as being a bench that favour AMD :

cinebench_render.png

The 5350 score is 2 :

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/533...ope-desktopplatforms-benchmarks-cinebench-115

Hence the G3220 is 28.5% better and will render the scene 28.5% faster.

But let s ponderate thoses results with the consumed power during CB 11.5:

energia_cine.png

This include a GFX and this add exactly 26W over the GFX less system so the real comsumption of the G3220 system is only 52W.

Now the 5350 system does consume 26.3W when performing CB11.5 :

http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/533...topplatforms-stroomverbruik-cinebench-115-max

So the G3220 system is 28.5% faster but to do so it will consume 100% more energy, quite an achievment, isnt it....

Depends, that same review. (nl hardware)

i7-4770k = 95W cinebench R11.5

8.08 points

4770k is more efficient than the 5350.

The high idle on the haswell platform is killing the G3220.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

Kabinis direct competitor is the ATOM based Celerons/Pentiums. And no the ATOM based Celerons/Pentiums cannot even play Minecraft.

AMD has other products to compete against Haswell based Celerons/Pentiums. Why nobody here compare the Haswell Pentium against AMD Trinity/Richland ?? They are directly competitors and closer in TDP, closer in price than Kabini.

I don't care about these positioning slides or ARK prices. What matters to me is what I can go out and buy right now.

So, you can buy an Intel ATOM based Celeron/Pentium or AMD Kabini. If you are interested in Haswell Celerons/Pentium you have Trinity/Richland as an alternative.
Simple as that. ;)

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Im sorry but no, when AM1 was announced AMD itselft targeted BT-D and G1620.
That was because the Kabini IGP was a bit better than the IGP on G1620, remember the slides with the Fire Strike scores?

That is acording to AMD own slides, but then the G1820 was launched on the same sector/price of the G1620 platform then all of a sudden AMD started to target only BT-D, a cpu that is less than half TDP and with passive cooling, there really no excuses here to exclude the G1820.

I really need to dig out the old AMD slides?

Last edited:

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Im sorry but no, when AM1 was announced AMD itselft targeted BT-D and G1620.
That was because the Kabini IGP was a bit better than the IGP on G1620, remember the slides with the Fire Strike scores?

That is acording to AMD own slides, but then the G1820 was launched on the same sector/price of the G1620 platform then all of a sudden AMD started to target only BT-D, a cpu that is less than half TDP and with passive cooling, there really no excuses here to exclude the G1820.

I really need to dig out the old AMD slides?

Even if you wish to compere them in 3D Mark Fire Strike, Kabini is faster than Celeron G1820.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Proces...er-Low-Price-APU-Masses/Results-3D-Mark-Fires

3dm-fs.png

3dmfs-gpu_phys.png

And here is Intel Celeron G1830
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1660373

So again, Kabini is not competing against Haswell Celerons/Pentiums even if it has more performance in some workloads. They compete against ATOM based Celerons/Pentiums.

Edit: Here take 3D Mark FireStike Celeron G1620 as well ;)
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1619830

Last edited:

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
Aside from the performance and platform advantages that comes with AM1, who in their right mind would own a Pentium over an Athlon. Athlons rule, Pentiums drool. :) There's a phsycological component there harking back to the days when Athlon ruled the market and it's part of what makes these Kabini Athlons much more appealing to the target market. AM1 nailed it IMO.

Last edited:

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
This CPU Multithreaded test hm, comments and complaints are welcome but only without creating jams.:biggrin: