AT World of Warcraft Thread (Legion, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I think MMO champ removed the data-mined stuff. Just going off the top of my head from what I remember..

-5% flat crit reduction across all specs
Deeper Stratagem reduced to +5% damage
Rupture normalized (slightly more damage with lower CPs, but slightly less damage at 6cp).
Master of Shadows nerfed (sub)
Master of Subtlety nerfed (sub)

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I did love the blue post splattered on every thread complaining about various class nerfs saying don't just believe datamined details with others following up saying the released PTR versions where identical. So they follow it up with changes can still happen, lol.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
That's always been Blizzard's MO. "Hey. we have the PTR for a reason. We value your feedback, let us know what you think"... 3 weeks later the Live patch notes are identical to what posted on the PTR. I really don't think the dev's play half the classes they update.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think MMO champ removed the data-mined stuff. Just going off the top of my head from what I remember..

-5% flat crit reduction across all specs
Deeper Stratagem reduced to +5% damage
Rupture normalized (slightly more damage with lower CPs, but slightly less damage at 6cp).
Master of Shadows nerfed (sub)
Master of Subtlety nerfed (sub)

Ah, okay... this will actually have huge implications on Rogue secondary stats for Assassination, which is amusing, because during Blizzcon, Blizzard stated that they want to fix the whole issue with some secondary stats being seen as garbage. (For example, Haste is pretty bad compared to all other secondary stats for Assassination.)

After the last round of changes, Mastery went from the third best stat (originally, Versatility >= Crit > Mastery > Haste) to the best stat (now, Mastery > Crit >= Versatility > Haste). The problem is that the nerf to Deep Stratagem will affect Envenom (poison damage, which is affected by Mastery) and Rupture the same; however, it will not affect Deadly Poison DoT ticks. So, this should mean that poison damage will become an even larger portion of our damage (since Rupture and Envenom will see a reduction). This means that Mastery will gain in value even more. If we include the Rupture change that you mentioned, it gets even worse since that will reduce Rupture even further but not touch Envenom. At this point, Mastery is nearly at 0.9 AP, which brings it ridiculously close to being equivalent to a point of Agility!

Although, I do kind of like the Rupture change. It's always a bit annoying when you hit your Mutilate and you find yourself at 5 combo points. Do you use Mutilate again to hit 6? I believe that's actually considered a slight DPS loss, but I'd have to check again to make sure. This change should bring the two closer together to make it much less of an issue whether you decide to go for 5 or 6.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
If you're at 5cp and ready to dump a Rupture, FoK for the single point. It's cheaper than Mut and you won't have to risk wasting cp's.

*edit* Mastery was only your best secondary if you went with Agonizing (once you got crit around 44%). If you went with a more bleed based build and used Exang mastery was below crit and vers.

CrowDog

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2001
Thinking about leveling a PVP focused toon....preferably ranged. Hmm...any idea/thoughts?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
*edit* Mastery was only your best secondary if you went with Agonizing (once you got crit around 44%). If you went with a more bleed based build and used Exang mastery was below crit and vers.

Do you mean what it used to be or is now? I'm just going based upon what I saw on Icy Veins. I did have a feeling that the last set of changes would boost Mastery a bit, and it seemed to. To note, I do use Exsanguinate.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I mean currently (pre 7.1.5). Mastery doesn't boost bleed damage at all, only poison so if you are going with a bleed type build it's not doing much for you. It's better than haste, but falls to vers and crit.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I mean currently (pre 7.1.5). Mastery doesn't boost bleed damage at all, only poison so if you are going with a bleed type build it's not doing much for you. It's better than haste, but falls to vers and crit.

Ah, I see... the biggest problem with IV is that there's usually very little consistency in their write-ups. The only thing they share in common is the overall structure, but after that, good luck trying to get anything similar. The problem is that I wanted to know the AP numbers so I could perform direct comparisons, which lists M = .84, C = .68, V = .67 and H = .46, but other sections of the same page actively state that the priority changes depending on talents, but there's never another set of numbers.

Although, perhaps they list that because Exsanguinate went from being a valid choice in their talent list to only Agonizing Poison being valid. :p I'm way too disconnected from the game at this point to keep up with this stuff anymore. :confused:

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Yeah, it really just depends on how your spec'ed. And there's nothing wrong with an Exang build. it's got better burst than the AP talent so if you need to burn down high priority adds its a way to go. Once your crit is around 40%, and mastery is ~120% AP starts to lead in damage but before then bleeds seem to do more over-all. and they aren't too far apart even after until you really get mastery stacked.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The WOW Armory app states that I'm at 37.86% crit and 130.49% mastery. So, I take it that I need to swap talents? I think the only bad thing about that is that Exsanguinate is another button to press, which is nice when they've been taking them away.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Might want to sim and see. ~38% crit is borderline. Do you have the 3 talents in your artifact that boost Mutilate crit chance? I don't think I swapped over to Agonizing until I had like 41%.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Might want to sim and see. ~38% crit is borderline. Do you have the 3 talents in your artifact that boost Mutilate crit chance? I don't think I swapped over to Agonizing until I had like 41%.

I believe I either just finished the last point of that talent or I've got one left. I do have an additional point already provided through a relic, so I'm probably at 3 at the moment. After that, I think I have 3-4 points left to get all traits before moving into the flat damage increase trait.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Blue posts always seem to make so much sense, until you remember the 4 dozen times they said "don't worry, you guys don't see all the changes. We will iterate based on our internal and PTR feedback. It's all going to be fine"... and then the patch drops and it's exactly like the first PTR version, the classes are all borked and they spend the next 2 months releasing hot fixes.

Not directed at you Lupi. Just saying they need to understand why people are so....skittish when it comes to these changes. Because so many times they've ignored really good feedback and pushed a change through that obviously was never going to work.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Game time tokens have shot way up in price... when I resubbed they were near 30-36k gold, I just bought another 2 weeks ago at 42k and when I checked this morning they were at 55k. They are shooting up... people are either starting to see how easy it is to make gold or subs are dropping or both. Luckily I've made a lot of bank due to expansion, but these prices are getting near the point where I might just go back to paying monthly. I earn $15 way faster than I earn 55k gold.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
In the near future you can convert tokens to bnet balance, probably why people buying more.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
After looking on Blizzard's website, looks like for just about anything Blizzard related, but the first article shows that it may have some restrictions, such as other WoW services only (faction change, etc).

That said, I wonder what the conversion rate will be? Probably $15 so you can't just buy WoW time for less.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's definitely a very interesting change. It pretty much means that I can farm gold in WoW, and buy tokens, trade them for Battle.Net balance and buy Hearthstone cards/expansion, the 2017 Diablo III mini-expansion (Necromancer), or whatever else. It really opens the door for WoW supporting other Blizzard games.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
It definately kills most desire I would have for spending gold on professions, except for my alchemist if I ever level that character. Too much money to be made selling mats. They take away easy mats via garrisons and make crafting less interesting or worthwhile than it was in WoD.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It definately kills most desire I would have for spending gold on professions, except for my alchemist if I ever level that character. Too much money to be made selling mats. They take away easy mats via garrisons and make crafting less interesting or worthwhile than it was in WoD.

I can definitely agree on crafting. They tried to make it seem more "organic", but it just feels like a hassle. The reason why is that the rewards for working on the profession are usually so lackluster that it's usually just not worth it.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Picked up my first legendary.

Too bad it's for a spec that is about to get nerfed.