AT World of Warcraft Thread (Cataclysm, Where do you play, General BS and all that)

Page 180 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
It looks like I also got mine. I didn't notice it at first, because it looked like a PTR account, but it will say "World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria" instead of "World of Warcraft: Cataclysm".

Is it located under the 'World of Warcraft' tab in your account summary page or does it have its own tab?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's located under World of Warcraft. I also just received the invitation e-mail about 20 minutes ago.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
It's just under your games list where it lists WoW and the PTR client. It will be another icon there.

I got an email finally at 3pm central.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Sometimes what looks like failure at moving can actually be related to dispel failure. If someone gets a 10x stack of Snowflake on them, they cannot move. We said, "you'll get automatically dispelled if you also have the bubble debuff on you" (the snow patch doesn't appear in the bubble when dispelled), but there were a few times even that didn't go very smoothly.

Blackhorn really isn't about DPS though. Sure, you need people that do moderate DPS, and not having melee is rather helpful. Well... except for Rogues. I almost always top the chart on Blackhorn (heroic or not), because of using Blade Flurry. My only qualm with it is that I'm never too sure if I should turn it off quickly when a mob charges and turn it back on after and if I should switch targets and possibly waste combo points? I might just need to use my points early and switch early.

But anyway... you also need people to soak the small circles, but then again... these same people cannot take the big circle unless they have a good cooldown (getting hit by the small circle gives you a +shadow damage taken debuff). Thankfully, as long as a tank is in the big circle (with an add), I can just pop Feint for a 50% reduction.

It isn't a terrible thing if you miss a circle or two, but it will spawn fire on the deck of the ship. The worst part about the fire is that it's been bugged for quite awhile. Little gnomes fly around and put it out, but the fire doesn't visibly disappear even though it will not deal any damage to you. So, you may run through some fire and think, "hey, this isn't so bad", and then try it again and take ~50k damage per tick. :p

But back to the circles! You also need two people to go into one circle at a time, because they deal over 200k shadow damage. I could probably survive one on my own with a cooldown (since Feint only has a 10s CD), but that's probably not that common. So, you'll have to get your people to coordinate and pretty much create a buddy system.

To give you an idea, there have been plenty of wipes where the boat blew up on us. So, unlike normal, it will definitely take some significant damage if you're not careful.

We have a rogue for melee and the rest are a Warlock (me), Mage, Ele Shaman and a Hunter. The drakes will die quickly as well as the ground mobs. I was reading strats about not even bothering with the small circles at all and how to get about it killing the boss.

The drakes will die, the only dps race I see is the two adds dying on the deck before the next wave and it can be a pain. As annoying as this actually is, our dps has tunnel vision way to much. I see we have the dps for it but getting the tactics down to kill it is where we will have trouble.

I am hoping we kill this quickly like we did Warlord. Warlord was just getting the movement down and we kill him. Hagara was the same.

As a warlock I can get rid of the Hagara debuff with teleport. It was nice to get rid of it quickly.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
also got a beta invite, first time for any expansion... installing now... kinda excited. Previously I thought it would suck to play through levels and have to do it again on live, but this is actually exciting to see it first.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
the initial new area looks like it may have a higher graphic quality count than even some of the redone cata areas.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I started playing the beta and I got a Monk to level... 6 I think? I realized pretty quickly that leveling still bores me to no end. Even though the quests are completely new, I don't even read the text, and I keep forgetting that since I've never done them before, I have no idea what I actually need to do. :p

The Monk seems okay so far. In the beginning it's really boring, because your only attack is a Chi generator that costs energy. I think at level 3 or so you get an ability that costs Chi and then you get another one (a sub-35% health finisher) a level or two later. It makes it better, but honestly... I can't help but think that the Monk just feels like a Rogue with a better combo point system that can't use Stealth. :|

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
The variable quest reward looks interesting. Too bad there's just north of no chance for them to backfit the old quests with that.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The variable quest reward looks interesting. Too bad there's just north of no chance for them to backfit the old quests with that.

Yeah, but if we consider that the MoP leveling becomes the last part of your leveling plateau (unless you're too cheap to buy the latest expansion), you're just going to vendor the previous expansion's gear anyway.

I guess it's easier to put it like... only the latest stuff matters anyway.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
Yeah, but if we consider that the MoP leveling becomes the last part of your leveling plateau (unless you're too cheap to buy the latest expansion), you're just going to vendor the previous expansion's gear anyway.

I guess it's easier to put it like... only the latest stuff matters anyway.

I think it more matters for people rolling new alts in MOP. Aka not a Monk. Maybe I roll an Undead Mage for instance. Would be nice if they retro fit all quests to provide class specific rewards. Obviously a ton of work to do that, so I agree its a fairly low chance that it happens.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think it more matters for people rolling new alts in MOP. Aka not a Monk. Maybe I roll an Undead Mage for instance. Would be nice if they retro fit all quests to provide class specific rewards. Obviously a ton of work to do that, so I agree its a fairly low chance that it happens.

Yeah, but that won't matter much either, because in 5 more levels, you'll just replace everything with even newer greens anyway.

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
Yeah, but that won't matter much either, because in 5 more levels, you'll just replace everything with even newer greens anyway.

This is probably why you don't like to level a char. I don't like it either, but one of the few fun things about it to me is playing Barbie with the alts. Then, when they're getting close to max level, you can start playing GU Joe with them.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
This is probably why you don't like to level a char. I don't like it either, but one of the few fun things about it to me is playing Barbie with the alts. Then, when they're getting close to max level, you can start playing GU Joe with them.

In my opinion, you eventually just realize that everything in a MMO is about what happens at max level. One of my old coworkers plays Rift (stifle your laughter :p), and he has a few level 50 characters, but is still relatively new to MMOs. One day, he said to me, "it's like the game changes at 50."

Who knows... maybe I'm just one of those jaded, grumpy MMO players that is just too tired of them anymore. :p

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
I think it's just the beauty of WoW. There are so many things to do that people can play their own different games, liking and disliking completely different things. Some people love the adventure in leveling, while some people are just 100% focused on raiding and couldn't care less about leveling.

I am one of those who originally hated leveling, and would take an instant level-capped character if I can (still do, btw :)). Until WotLK I never even had more than one character over ~40. Now I have 5 level 85s and 2 84s (who will both likely ding this weekend).

The funny thing is, while I used to raid 3 nights/wk consistently during BC, I don't have time to do that anymore. So what do I do with my (soon to be) 7 level 85s? I read up a lot on how to play them, I geared them up to the point where they are heroic ready, farming mats for craftable items and for the gold to buy the BoE stuff, etc. And then when they are ready to go, I ran heroics once or twice, and then switch to another character and do it again :)

This may sound crazy for most of you but it's how I'm enjoying this game at the moment. Back in January I reactivated my account after a year of hiatus for 'just one month' and the account has renewed for the third month a couple of days ago. Damn you WoW!

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
I've been playing since launch (took a 6 month break after Wrath got real old) and came back about a month or so before Cata rolled. In the beginning I loved PvP in particular WSG (hunter rolling flag carriers) until 51 then non-stop AV. The whole idea of honor titles and playing the same AV I was in when I went to bed was pretty cool. The epic battles on the bridge, seeing 80 players all casting something different, was awesome even as it choked my vid card. Then again heading in AQ the first day the gates opened and it looked like the whole server was there and the massive outbreak of PvP battles... ah, those were the days. Speaking of outbreaks anyone remember the two great "plagues" . The one before Wrath rolled was unreal. Couldn't even get a step after logging in and you'd be dead from it. That was a lost week. Anyway I still love the game (I mostly level toons, run some randoms, and run profs) and I wish Bliz would do something massive again that effects everyone. The game is too safe now. I understand the need to appeal to the most people but for people like me who've seen most of everything the game has to offer it's kind of moved far away from it's origins.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
In my opinion, you eventually just realize that everything in a MMO is about what happens at max level. One of my old coworkers plays Rift (stifle your laughter :p), and he has a few level 50 characters, but is still relatively new to MMOs. One day, he said to me, "it's like the game changes at 50."

Who knows... maybe I'm just one of those jaded, grumpy MMO players that is just too tired of them anymore. :p

Whats so funny ? :p

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003

I think if they made PC games rather than console ports I'd never have started playing WoW. I kinda hate the MMO aspect of things.

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Got my beta invite yesterday, tried to play today, but there were far too many people checking out the Panda starting zone so I didn't play for long.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I copied a level 85 premade Panda Monk over and started playing that this morning. It's interesting, but I'm not sure what I think about the class overall. It's AoE is pretty ridonkulous, but I guess it feels like a Rogue... too few buttons. I'm a little used to my Shaman though, where I need three rows to house all of the buttons that I use during fights.

I was AoEing a bunch of Hozen mobs at the beginning, and I pulled a few too many. So I just used the Super Flying Kick of GTFO to get away from them. So, at least unlike a Rogue, the class has some ridiculous abilities to escape from harm. Not that the Rogue has none, but once I use Sprint on my Rogue, I feel like I have nothing to help my maneuverability. This of course comes back to bite me while I'm doing Heroic Hagara. :p

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Have things changed that much since Cata was released? I had 30-40 skills all bound on my rogue.. and I used all of them frequently.

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
Have things changed that much since Cata was released? I had 30-40 skills all bound on my rogue.. and I used all of them frequently.

With raiding, I used maybe 4-5(Wrath,Mut build) but now I pvp with my rogue and use a crap ton.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
Yup that sounds about right for PvE. Combat should be about the same or maybe less than that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.