AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 113 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
1656903218502.png

There were three ravens sat on a tree,
Down a down hey down hey down.
They were as black as they might be,
With a down.
Then one of them said to his mate:
"Where shall we our breakfast take?"
With a down derry derry derry down down.
Down in yonder greenfield,
Down a down hey down hey down.
There lies a knight slain under his shield;
With a down.
His hounds they lie down at his feet,
So well they their master keep.
With a down derry derry derry down down.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
My personal camera was not setup properly with autofocus left on and being set to crop mode, but I had my daughter's camera setup just to test how the Canon FD 50mm would look. Using it on an A6400 body gets you something like 76mm, so not quite the 135mm I normally use, but not bad either. I began using the built-in intervalometer feature with the lightning shoot a while back and remembered to use it last night which makes things a lot less of a hassle.

Edit: Canon FD is pretty cheap, light and fairly compact. So far, I've got a 24mm f2.8 and 50mm f1.4 -- bought them pretty cheaply and I'm gonna probably pick up either 85, 100, or 135. Although if money grew on trees or someone offered me a box set of Zeiss Loxia, I'd take those since they're sharper, have electronics, some weather sealing and are also fairly compact and relatively light.

AME06676_HQ_2x1.jpg

Last edited:

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Getting used to flying the drone and being more comfortable and getting a couple classic cinematic moves down, but started snapping a few HDR shots. I have to remember that this thing is a fixed aperture lens and start using manual mode more. In the second shot that little orange square just south of the middle is my landing pad and me standing next to it.

DJI_0039_40_41PHOTOMATIX (Large).jpgDJI_0061_2_3PHOTOMATIX (Large).jpg

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Decided to try to shoot the sun, hahah. I wanted to get a crazy ND filter, at least 15 stops, but most of the popular brands are pretty expensive. I found this ICE 16.5 stop ND filter for under $40. It works really well for shooting the Sun, but I haven't tested on regular things to see how bad the color shift would be for every day things.

The crop's pretty tight at about 600mm on an A6400 (APS-C body) to cut out just the Sun. I think on a 200-600 (~900mm with APS-C), would fill the frame really nice.

AME09680_HQ_16x9.jpg

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
I've never seen this many butterflies around here in West New York, NJ, let alone Monarch.

Had a pretty silly moment not understanding why the Sigma 200-400mm DG DN lens would not focus as close as I knew it should be able to focus. Re-seated several times, turned off/on the camera several times, and even removed the battery to try to fix the issue. Then I remembered there's a focus limit switch and sure enough, it was set to do only the longer distances.

*Capt Picard facepalm*

ANT02078_HQ_.jpg

ANT02103_HQ_.jpg

ANT02059_HQ_.jpg

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
holy hell, 14mm on a full frame is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide.

photos is from this past sunday at harper's ferry, WV from the maryland heights overlook. going back this sunday and will hopefully capture more fall color. might bring an 80-200 with me to have a good bit of zoom to play with, but that's a lot of stuff to cram into a backpack along with water, snacks, emergency supplies, etc.

1.jpg

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
holy hell, 14mm on a full frame is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide.

photos is from this past sunday at harper's ferry, WV from the maryland heights overlook. going back this sunday and will hopefully capture more fall color. might bring an 80-200 with me to have a good bit of zoom to play with, but that's a lot of stuff to cram into a backpack along with water, snacks, emergency supplies, etc.

View attachment 69029
Lovely colors. :D

Was that taken with Velvia, or was that purely your own post-processing?