AT Shot of the Day Thread

Page 115 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
2023 Lunar New Year Celebration

First time going to this event despite living in the area for more than a decade. Will admit to feeling a bit apprehensive about going with current US issues and COVID still going around, but it was a great experience. As a weird observation I couldn't help noticing SO MANY LEICA users in attendance -- way more than any other brand! I'm going to guesstimate at least $100k worth of gear roaming around in Leica alone, hahah. Started to bug my partner about buying one to satisfy my Faux FOMO.

In other news, I recently picked up a Sony FE 40mm F2.5 G for a more discreet street setup. This thing is a beast! Super snappy, sharp (slightly too sharp for me, but that can be dialed back in post), lightweight, feature packed with the buttons and switches. Price, not gonna lie, seems high for what it is, but the value is there for my use case.

Lunar New Year Celebration 5

Lunar New Year Celebration 3

Lunar New Year Celebration 4

Lunar New Year Celebration 1

Lunar New Year Celebration 2

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Not a photographer but I get this feeling that a wide angled lens would have been more appropriate for these photos?
depends on your objective. you get more area with a wide angle of course - that lets you capture the event as a whole, but you lose out on the detail of individual people.

portraiture and street photography are my most challenging areas, but i really enjoy photos that are able to capture people in the moment.

either way, wonderful photos @gradoman ! my favorites are the little child in surrounded by a crowd, and the man holding the sparkler.

• Love
Reactions: gradoman

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Not a photographer but I get this feeling that a wide angled lens would have been more appropriate for these photos?

TL, DR: Using wider is harder.

For sure a wider lens can be used, but then it becomes harder to isolate a subject without getting very close. Since I don't have a zoom, I have to pick something that could be somewhat versatile. Wider than 35mm, I'd have to be closer to the person or have some interesting piece of architecture/object/thing or interesting light/shadow or maybe struggle with just way too much in a composition.

Here are some shots I've done at 25mm that explain what I mean:

_ANT1335_HQ_LQ.jpg

_ANT6499_LQ_16x9.jpg

_ANT8854_LQ_16x9.jpg

_DSC8634_LQ_Unstraightened.jpg

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Which camera do you use? Damn, those are FANTASTIC photos!

Please upload high-res ones to imgur or someplace else for us to download them and use as wallpapers!
happy to take requests by PM. full-size photos are going to run anywhere between 10-45MP depending on the amount of cropping. superwide photos might be 100MP though :D

As far as what I'm rocking - Nikon D850 w/ Nikon 14-24 F/2.8 and a hell of a lot of post-processing.

The difference between a processed an unprocessed photo is nothing short of astounding!

gradoman

Mar 19, 2007
Been a bit uninspired and forgot I had some decent shots from December 2022 on a really, really foggy day. It actually completely wiped out any visibility beyond a few tens of feet. I met a lady on a Vespa and got to know her a bit and asked if she would mind me taking portraits of her and she agreed -- very cool moment:

From there, I took a train to Hoboken and walked along the river trying to do more long exposure shots, but ended up doing minimalist environmental images instead: