AT Cycling Log - 100,000 miles done! Next stop ???

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My Gary Fisher Wahoo is a piece of crap. All road miles. Had to replace the pedals at 800 miles. Re spoked the entire rear wheel at 1100 miles after the 4th broken one. I got rained on a few times and the "stainless" derailleur cable rusted in the cable chase. Now the bottom bracket bearings are going out, about 2K miles. It still, inexplicably, pulls to the right, hands free. 3 trips to the shop to try and get that figured out. Nadda.

When I bought it, I told them that I didn't mind paying the $$ but I wanted something that was sturdy. You'd think that since I was cashing in on the Trek lifetime frame warranty, they would have taken me seriously (broke the frame at the bottom bracket on the Trek 920 after ~15K miles).

To add insult to injury, I looked it up after I started having problems and I way overpaid. Well, screw me for trusting the bike shop.

Maybe there's a Gary Fisher or an Outspokin (Augusta,GA) rep here that I can bitch at.

14miles

Total:5457

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
highland145, if you can post some pics of your Wahoo to get me started with, I might be able to help with the pulling-to-the-right issue.

I got my bike prepped to go at lunchtime, and headed out on the highway at about 6:30PM for another 73-mile out-&-back to the rest stop.

It was much colder tonight than it has been lately, I was wishing for my thick wool socks and winter cycling shoes. I thought about turning back early, but stuck with the plan and made it home (although I ended up putting on every item of clothing I had in reserve).

So anyway, +73 miles brings us to...

Total: 5530

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I did 8 miles tonight with my son. My bike needs some serious tuning up done to it. Gears and brakes need adjustment. Bearings need to be lubed. Seat and handlebars need to be adjusted to the correct height. I need new grips. And the brake cable to the rear brake needs to be replaced. How much is all that gonna cost me? It's a Fuji Absolute 3.0. I know, it's a piece of crap. But it's what I have and I am a runner not a biker. :)

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
A general tune-up would probably get the majority of that covered, they're around $65 labor. A new rear brake cable, figure $6-7. Grips will be about $10. Strictly speaking, lubrication of the bearings is beyond the scope of a tune-up, but can be done on an as-needed basis... for example, if the wheel bearings are OK but your crank bearing is dry and squealing, then you can just address the crank bearing.

Personally, if I'm doing a tune-up on a bike like your Fuji and the wheel hubs and fork bearing (aka "headset") feel or sound like they'd appreciate some more grease, I just sneak some extra grease into them as a freebie bonus with the tune-up. But you can't rely on that perk from every mechanic.

Tonight I set out south on the highway again with debate on my mind about how far to go before turning back for home. Part of me wanted to do a 100-miler, part of me wanted to keep it down to 73. I ended up doing 100: http://app.strava.com/rides/8349349 ...but it wasn't fun. Cold, tired and fighting a rare NORTH wind to get home (not too strong, fortunately). So now it's 1AM and I'm making supper :p

Total: 5659

Last edited:

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
First leg of the annual TOSRV ride complete - 105 miles. Temps in the 70's, light winds, really nice. Tomorrow's weather could be dicey.

Total: 5764

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Fast 49-mile highway ride in nice early-summer weather: http://app.strava.com/rides/8407408 21.2mph average. I'm going on a mountain-bike ride this evening too... details at 11 :D

Total: 5813

I rode out to meet my mountain-bike group. I had to hammer to avoid being late: http://app.strava.com/rides/8416697 9 miles @ over 21mph. Ok, so it's slightly downhill on average, but that's still not bad :)

Then we did the group ride at a moderate pace, hung out for a while afterwards, and then I jammed downtown to pick up my backpack with my work laundry and returned home: http://app.strava.com/rides/8416747 29 miles.

So with another 38 miles, now we got...

Total: 5851

And boy, am I hungry. I may accidentally a whole frozen pizza.

KMc

Golden Member
Jan 26, 2007
Day 2 of my annual TOSRV ride. What a difference a day makes in the weather. Pouring rain today from my first pedal stroke to my last, but I got all 105 miles in. Once you're soaked, it's just a matter of putting that miserable feeling out of your mind and focusing on working hard enough to keep warm.

Total: 5992

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Once you're soaked, it's just a matter of putting that miserable feeling out of your mind and focusing on working hard enough to keep warm.

Good job, that takes mental toughness (and especially with 105 miles the day before).

We're in the middle of some nice sunny weather here, so I cruised out Highway 195 to the 35-mile rest stop and back. I took two quarts of Gatorade, and powdered mix to make two more quarts when I got there, and ended up drinking all of that (it was 77°F when I got back around 7PM). Which reminds me, I should shampoo my helmet pads & straps, don't want it getting all rank and nasty.

Anyway, another 73 miles @ 20.0mph average: http://app.strava.com/rides/8490855 Monday and Tuesday are supposed to be in the mid-to-upper 80F so I'm hoping to do this route after work both days and continue getting ahead on my Strava distance challenge (currently up to 62% after 13 days). But my speed will probably be closer to 18mph average, I can't do this much volume at that intensity every single day.

Total: 6065

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
highland145, if you can post some pics of your Wahoo to get me started with, I might be able to help with the pulling-to-the-right issue.
Thanks. Pics.....:hmm:......:hmm:......Heck, mech, I don't even text......:p. Old type, as my son would say. I'll see if I can get some decent ones.

I don't think they even rode it or could ride hands free if they did. The woman at the nearest shop said she couldn't. What's the deal with that? That's the 1st thing we learned after we could ride. The Outspokin guys were happy to offer their condescending attitudes for free though.:\

As best as I can tell, doesn't look like the frame's twisted. I swear it's the front wheel or suspension. If I cock the wheel in the slots and lock it down, it rides perfectly. But then the disc brake rubs unless I open it completely, making it useless. Not sure if I want to buy a front suspension to "test" my theory.

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Here's an easy thing to check for starters: make sure the cone-shaped springs on the front wheel's quick-release shaft are small-end inwards. If they're installed big-end-in, the big end fits over the axle and interferes with the wheel seating properly.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I went for a ride tonight. Just over 4 miles from home my rear tire went from fully inflated to fully deflated in an instant. I was so pissed, I had to walk the bike all the way home. ARGH

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
I hate flats too. And so often they're caused (for me, anyway) by broken glass. Do people really HAVE to smash their beer bottle on the road?

I did my default 73-mile highway ride after work again, 18.8mph rolling average this time: http://app.strava.com/rides/8561624 The weather was good and should be similar tomorrow. I'm now up to 996 miles for the month, which puts me at 67% complete on the distance challenge I'm doing on Strava.com.

Total: 6142

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
http://app.strava.com/rides/8632475
73 miles @ 19.4mph average. Winds were light. Tomorrow we're getting a cold front and the winds will probably be stronger and gusty... wonder if I should take a rest day...

I'm up to 72% complete on my mileage challenge, with 1069 miles since May 1. 410 miles to go.

Total: 6238

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
3 miles today, I decided to take a rest day from the high-mileage gig.

Total: 6241

mechBgon

Oct 31, 1999
Well, I was geared up for my 73-mile highway route, but then Work Happened :( so instead I worked from 10AM to 10PM.

+3 miles. Hopefully I get away on time tomorrow.

Total: 6244

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Just found this thread. From March to May I've put in well over 400miles. Did the bike New York on May 6th which was 48mi and did 3 40mi rides each weekend before that. I avg around 75-120mi a week when the weather is good. However, I'll just put in future rides starting today.

28mi

Total: 6387