Asus still sells new 2016 desktop PCs with 2012 processor...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Pro tip: don't buy anything from Waltchan, ever. Unless you want defective or stolen goods. Got it.
I'm an eBay PowerSeller with 99.5% positive feedbacks. I do sell broken items from time to time that's listed as not working. But most defective Asus products went out of control for me. Heck, even my ECS A55F-M2 V2.0 FM1 motherboard feels better build quality than most Asus boards.

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
So? I'm an ebay power seller with 99.7 @ 8000+ feedback & the only board I've had to eat was a Gigabyte..
Quit whining about Asus..

Last edited:

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
So? I'm an ebay power seller with 99.7 @ 8000+ feedback & the only board I've had to eat was a Gigabyte..
Quit whining about Asus..
I'm selling one defective Gigabyte board right now with a defective USB 3.0 microprocessor chip. We're good. :D

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Do the shoppers know? :D
Yes, it's listed clearly in description. Defects happen all the time, and I'm complaining less on Gigabyte due to its lower-price, and I got this as a combo discount from Micro Center.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Heck, even my ECS A55F-M2 V2.0 FM1 motherboard feels better build quality than most Asus boards.

This has to be the least intelligent thing you've ever posted on these forums. What next, Yugo makes better automobiles than Rolls Royce? Mattel makes better firearms than Smith & Wesson? If you would stop buying returned, defective name brand motherboards, laptops, and netbooks from Microcenter with no warranty, and stick with brand new ultra-cheap brands like ECS motherboards and Acer pre-builts, you'd have a lot less to complain about, except for the fact that Intel and AMD don't give away completely free CPUs, of course.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
This has to be the least intelligent thing you've ever posted on these forums.
Yes, you're right, what was I thinking. D: I also picked up three Asus H81M-PLUS LGA1150 boards from blinq.com for $40 each new, and no problem so far. :D I selected this board because it's way more cost-efficient than other Asus boards with B85 for $50 more, which I find $90 too price-gouging.

I'll be honest here, and I don't have anymore Asus problems after January 2015. This includes some AMD boards, DVD drives, desktops, laptops, and all other Asus accessories.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Went through 4 defective Asus laptops in my lifetime so far. All PCs were purchased brand new and unopened:

1. Asus 14" laptop w/ Celeron B830 I picked up on Black Friday 2012 from Sears had a broken-off "F" keyboard button after 2 months due to cheap plastic quality. Called Asus warranty, but told me keyboard isn't under warranty since it's wear and tear (yeah right). Sold it for a loss on eBay.

2. Asus 15" laptop w/ E1-1200 in 2013 had a defective screen that I can't lower its brightness level. Sold it at okay price on eBay and didn't disclose to buyer you can't lower brightness.

3. Asus 15" laptop w/ Celeron 1007u I still have today came with a defective recovery partition from factory that I can't reset the PC nor create a USB recovery. I had to go back to store and steal the OS and product key from the display unit, and reinstall the OS back home. Plus a phone call to activate product key. Thanks, Asus.

I also picked up my forth Asus 15" N3050 Braswell from Best Buy Black Friday 2015, but the mousepad isn't leveled or installed flat correctly from factory. Hate its sharp-edge sticking out at lower-left while lower-right is swallowed in. Will sell it on eBay shortly.

4. I'm NOT finished yet. I also sold an Asus Pentium G3220 desktop in 2014 with a defective memory RAM slot #1. I had to open up the case and insert its RAM at slot #2 instead, and then it works fine. I did not disclose to my buyer that slot #1 is defective and sold it as a one 8GB stick only.

I didn't do anything illegal here. Asus screwed me up on quality control, and I officially confirmed that after hearing they decide to stay with A8-5500 again for 2017. That's my Asus reliability story so far.

One does not go about correcting a wrong with another (or three) wrong.

I don't have much of a problem with the selling of older chips (and that Trinity chip is probably far faster than the Atom class desktops being peddled), all I'd ask is it be disclosed as such or with an easily identifiable part number in plain sight of the box or display.

Are we ever going to do away with boot HDDs in pre-builts though? OEMs do this for their buisiness models too. It's quite irritating. My 6 year old laptop with SSD boots in less than a tenth of the time one of the 7-month old desktops here do. God forbid Update Day.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
This has to be the least intelligent thing you've ever posted on these forums. What next, Yugo makes better automobiles than Rolls Royce? Mattel makes better firearms than Smith & Wesson? If you would stop buying returned, defective name brand motherboards, laptops, and netbooks from Microcenter with no warranty, and stick with brand new ultra-cheap brands like ECS motherboards and Acer pre-builts, you'd have a lot less to complain about, except for the fact that Intel and AMD don't give away completely free CPUs, of course.

Are you implying he's out Virtual Larrying even Virtual Larry? (yes, using Virtual Larry as a verb).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are you implying he's out Virtual Larrying even Virtual Larry? (yes, using Virtual Larry as a verb).

I'm a verb now? LOL.

For the record, I don't think that I've ever said my Atom rigs were better or faster than some other member's "big core" rigs.

Though, given my experiences (not good ones) with my entry-level Asus H110M-A mobo, I would echo the sentiments that I would prefer an ECS A55 FM1 or H81 board, because the video output work properly on those.

Edit: I'm about ready to buy a G3900 SKL Celeron to drop into it, to see if I get the same problems.

Last edited:

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
It stands to reason because AMD hasn't been very effective at bringing about new models of processors but it's not a big deal because for normal use, one would be hard pressed to notice that CPU vs a newer one. What doesn't make sense to me is the HP Envy I helped an office set up which has an i7-6700 and 12GB of RAM but only a 5400 RPM hard drive. Thing felt slower than my laptop because of the bottleneck and it has the very latest Intel.

Oh and I'm not excusing Asus; they make great motherboards and monitors but prebuilt systems from them I do no trust. Another office had purchased a rack of these Asus all-in-one systems that I guess were getting the job done until a Windows update tried to update firmware (BIOS) and corrupted the UEFI bootloader beyond repair (bootrec ineffective). Well done, Asus.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I heard about that bug. It's specific to certain Asus boards on Win7 only. A lot of people were thinking MS did it to push Win10, but it seems more like Asus had a funky bootloader implementation.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
ECS markets their boards as "Durathon" technology, undergoing more than 10,000 hours of rigorous testing. Besides that, I haven't seen a bad one yet.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
I also picked up three Asus H81M-PLUS LGA1150 boards from blinq.com for $40 each new, and no problem so far. :D I selected this board because it's way more cost-efficient than other Asus boards with B85 for $50 more, which I find $90 too price-gouging.

I'm glad you didn't take offense. I only meant that that particular statement was not very 'well-thought-out' would have actually been a better alternative, had I been able to think of it at the time. Unfortunately, a lot of people on the internet take almost everything personally. I'm glad that you were smart enough not to take it personally.

I also picked up three Asus H81M-PLUS LGA1150 boards from blinq.com for $40 each new, and no problem so far. :D I selected this board because it's way more cost-efficient than other Asus boards with B85 for $50 more, which I find $90 too price-gouging.

Well, I doubt you'll find anyone, anywhere who would fault you for selecting a motherboard with comparable (to you, at least) features for less than half of the cost of the next higher alternative on the chain, especially one from the same company. I sure don't, it makes perfect sense to me.

I'll be honest here, and I don't have anymore Asus problems after January 2015. This includes some AMD boards, DVD drives, desktops, laptops, and all other Asus accessories.

That's great to hear. I can personally vouch for Asus' more expensive motherboards, and their video cards, especially the more expensive ones. I've owned many of each, and never had a single problem with any of them. I've also owned many of their optical drives, and have never had one of them fail, as far back as I can remember, either.

I would not recommend anyone buy one of their pre-built desktop computers, however. Not because they are of horrible quality (they may be, they may not be, I don't know for sure), but because of numbers. They sell almost no pre-built desktop computers, compared to their competition. Yes, they sell quite a few laptops, especially the cheap netbooks, but I would bet dollars to donuts that Asus' best selling desktop model each year sells considerably fewer than Lenovo's, HP's, and/or Dell's worst selling models of the same year. The larger your sales volume, the better quality you can have at the same cost, or have lower cost at the same quality/performance level, which of course leads to higher profits. There's just no way around it.

They do seem to have a horrible RMA process, and I would advise anyone who buys any of their products to test them out fully, during the time period that they can still return them to the original place of purchase. It's what I do.

Apr 20, 2008
The CPU in question here is equivalent to a dual core sandy bridge or Q9550. That is leaps and bounds better than what is being thrown into a lot of budget builds.

I just picked up the laptop in sig, swapped out the 4500m for the 4600m, and this laptop is very capable of doing most everything well. The APU in question is still overkill for most people.