Asus still sells new 2016 desktop PCs with 2012 processor...

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
I still can't believe Asus put in a 4 year old processor, A8-5500 Trinity, into their new Windows 10 PCs, while every other makers already got out and moving on to Skylake.

http://www.frys.com/product/8796991...IVzjrB6FO2CpLn_lGtAWcytQsqQjmVzNT4aApxP8P8HAQ

These just came in with new April 2016 manufactured date, and Fry's is offering a promo-code sale for $299.99 right now. Ripoff...

Asus did offer one in Windows 8.1 with same processor last year, no problem, but the same A8-5500 processor again for Windows 10, geesh... Asus should at least show some courtesy and respect putting in A8-6500 Richland instead, or, preferably, A8-7600 Kaveri.

This proof is to show you why Asus is indeed an overrated brand you can no longer trust. Asus, it's time for you to stop charging more on your boards when the build-quality isn't there at all. I hope Gigabyte overtakes Asus someday.

Last edited:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
That's you're typically uniformed opinion.. Everybody cuts corners these days. Whining about it on a public forum serves no purpose, and exposes your personal bias. Don't like their products? Don't buy them.
I've been using their boards for 20+ yrs.. No complaints here.

Last edited:

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
That's you're typically uniformed opinion.. Everybody cuts corners these days. Whining about it on a public forum serves no purpose, and exposes your personal bias. Don't like their products? Don't buy them.
No bias at all, and I personally think Dell and HP cut corner way less than Asus. Both haven't offered a 2012 Trinity for 2 years now, but Asus still offers a 2012 processor today up through 2017. Sad...

In terms of build, I find Asus the most-difficult brand to install and setup. Too many buttons to press every time in BIOS and AI Suite software. They also don't produce many boards per model (not total worldwide), and difficult to find replacement boards after a few years.

The only Asus board model I like so far is the H81M-PLUS. Works on Pentium G3258 with overclocking, and refurbished ones are readily available for less than $30 everyday.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
1) They've been selling the same basic desktop computer (M32[XX]-_____) for ~4 years, with a variety of CPUs and specs. That's normal.

2) The M32BF isn't available directly from ASUS anymore. Big Box stores often buy old crap to sell for cheap, though. In which case cutting corners > everything else.

3) There's not much to differentiate the A8-5500 and 6500, performance-wise.

This proof is to show you why Asus is indeed an overrated brand you can no longer trust. Asus, it's time for you to stop charging more on your boards when the build-quality isn't there at all. I hope Gigabyte overtakes Asus someday.
Newsflash: cheap crap is cheap, regardless of manufacturer.

404: Proof not found.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
No bias at all, and I personally think Dell and HP cut corner way less than Asus. Both haven't offered a 2012 Trinity for 2 years now, but Asus still offers a 2012 processor today up through 2017. Sad...

Not sad - AMD enables that on purpose, by using the same socket for several generations/revisions of CPUs.

You can't buy a PC with a 2012 Intel CPU in it because nobody has made motherboards for the darn things in 4 years either. With AMD? New motherboard + 4 year old CPU? No problemo. Offer new CPU options for old motherboard/PC barebones system? Also no problemo.

For the end user, it's both good and bad. But it does make an OEM's job easier.

In terms of build, I find Asus the most-difficult brand to install and setup. Too many buttons to press every time in BIOS and AI Suite software. They also don't produce many boards per model (not total worldwide), and difficult to find replacement boards after few years.

PCs are PCs. Setup is pretty much the same from one prebuilt to the next - you should be able to put it on the desk and give Grandma the keys without going into the BIOS at all.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
1) They've been selling the same basic desktop computer (M32[XX]-_____) for ~4 years, with a variety of CPUs and specs. That's normal.
In addition, you'll be surprised to learn it only has a A55/A58 chipset inside. Asus never offered one with A75/A78. But Acer did. Go figure...

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2011
All this is moot if you're one of those folks who think PC makers owe you new stuff for less money (or free) every six months, because you bought something from them once.

But those folks aren't a lot of fun to hang out with - they think they're perpetually getting ripped off. Puts 'em in a bad mood.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
In terms of build, I found Asus the most-difficult brand to install and setup. Too many buttons to press every time in BIOS and AI Suite software.

People gladly pay a premium for that amount of control. All online favorite motherboard manufacturer polls show Asus with a huge lead, including at AT forums.

As for Asus using the 2012 A8 in current PCs, that is still a more rounded PC compared to all Celeron prebuilts. I actually bought a Celeron barebones mini PC a year ago, but only because it was a quad-core Celeron (yes, they do exist). It's still weak, and I do regret not going with an A8 barebone mini PC which was only a few dollars more expensive at the time.

Feb 25, 2011
In addition, you'll be surprised to learn it only has a A55/A58 chipset inside. Asus never offered one with A75/A78. But Acer did. Go figure...

Is there a performance difference between an A58/A8-5500 and an A78/A8-6500 that would be noticeable outside of benchmarks?

Same money for same performance doesn't bother me, regardless of the date stamp on the box.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Is there a performance difference between an A58/A8-5500 and an A78/A8-6500 that would be noticeable outside of benchmarks?

Same money for same performance doesn't bother me, regardless of the date stamp on the box.
A55/A8-5500 is only SATA II with 2012 processor, plus extra Asus premium fee, and A8-5500 is already depreciating in price due to age. For Acer, I'm seeing A75/A10-7800 for same money. Acer also cuts corner less than Asus in general I'm seeing. Acer provided 80 bronze power supply for Walmart PC models two years ago.

You'll realize someday Asus is a nasty brand than you think, despite all your positive experience.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Well, for one data-point, I've had nothing but problems with my Intel iGPU drivers on my Skylake / 1151 H110M-A Asus board. With multiple different CPUs and RAM sticks.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
I had lots of failed acer "ferrari" junk, meaning more than 8 laptops.. I rather buy asus than acer. you buy what you want, dont shove your opinion down everyone's throat

nanaki333

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2002
I had lots of failed acer "ferrari" junk, meaning more than 8 laptops.. I rather buy asus than acer. you buy what you want, dont shove your opinion down everyone's throat

it took you 8 laptops to realize you shouldn't buy Acer laptops???

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Results vary for all people, nothing is equal. Some people have more problems with a Honda car than Chrysler, I have one friend told me that. I also went through 4 defective Asus laptops not too long ago, but none on Acer yet. Consumer Reports also listed Asus least-reliable laptop brand during 2014 year. Asus laptops are lighter and cheaply-built than Acer.

Last edited:

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013

Well said.. This guys is whining about cheap crap because that's what he buys..

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AS-M32BF2T#

Yeah it's the A55 chipset and not even an optical drive is provided. Only 4 SATA2 ports, and I don't think it even supports USB3.0, so I'm not sure what ASUS used for that?

AMD doesn't even recommend the A8 series for the A55 chipset.
Now that is cost-cutting, great example. I'm pretty sure it has a DVD drive, or does it not? o_O

Last edited:

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Yep, maybe no DVD drive after all according to Walmart's page for this model. Shocked... If true, this is the world's first big-ole desktop made without a physical DVD drive. See, I told you Asus can be really that nasty, and this isn't the first time I'm seeing.

Feb 25, 2011
Yep, maybe no DVD drive after all according to Walmart's page for this model. Shocked... If true, this is the world's first big-ole desktop made without a physical DVD drive. See, I told you Asus can be really that nasty, and this isn't the first time I'm seeing.

Okay, really? Are you "Ken M" style trolling or just actually that ignorant?

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Okay, really? Are you "Ken M" style trolling or just actually that ignorant?
I'm just concerned with Asus's lack of ethical and poor judgement behavior. Bad marketing. Come on... Why don't you ask Michael Dell, he wouldn't allowed to sell new PCs like that.

Feb 25, 2011
I'm just concerned with Asus's lack of ethical and poor judgement behavior. Bad marketing. Come on... Why don't you ask Michael Dell, he wouldn't allowed to sell new PCs like that.

Ah, concern trolling then. Got it.

Based on what I've read, Michael Dell is a paranoid recluse, but very few people have the balls to tell him "No."

In any case, here is a link to a Dell PC that is sold, by default, with single-channel RAM and no optical drive. (It's all config-to-order, so final setup is up to the customer.)

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Well said.. This guys is whining about cheap crap because that's what he buys..

It goes hand-in-hand with people who refuse to buy good quality PC components, I've noticed. Every thread/post from them is whining, it seems.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
In any case, here is a link to a Dell PC that is sold, by default, with single-channel RAM and no optical drive. (It's all config-to-order, so final setup is up to the customer.)
i5-6500 processor itself worth $205, so it's 25% of PC value, plus it's a Precision. It's fine in pricing, no complaints at all. Dell is still better off than Asus. A8-5500 processor now only worth $50, so it's 12.5% of PC value from $399.99 everyday price.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
It goes hand-in-hand with people who refuse to buy good quality PC components, I've noticed. Every thread/post from them is whining, it seems.
I'm fully aware with low-quality components in all OEM PCs, but this Asus A8-5500 with Windows 10 and, possibly, no DVD drive included is so out-of-control from everyday norm, which caused me to open this thread accidentally.