Asus still sells new 2016 desktop PCs with 2012 processor...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 25, 2011
i5-6500 processor itself worth $205, so it's 25% of PC value, plus it's a Precision. It's fine in pricing, no complaints at all. Dell is still better off than Asus. A8-5500 processor now only worth $50, so it's 12.5% of PC value from $399.99 everyday price.

The case, power supply, RAM, and hard drives in those two PCs are almost identical in cost to the manufacturer. The motherboards are close. The reason that Dell is $800 is because it comes with a 3-year onsite warranty.

The CPU's retail cost as a % of the total system cost is the next best thing to irrelevant.

Feb 25, 2011
I'm fully aware with low-quality components in all OEM PCs, but this Asus A8-5500 with Windows 10 and, possibly, no DVD drive included is so out-of-control from everyday norm, which caused me to open this thread accidentally.

...accidentally?

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
...accidentally?
Yes, pardon me here, and I usually don't complain something like this. Had Asus installed A8-6500 in the first place, this thread wouldn't be created. But installing A8-5500 again for 2017 sales in future sounds like to me Asus is showing no respect to their customers at all. You know I'm right on this one. :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention none of FM2 processors have official Crimson support. A8-5500 isn't really fully compatible with Windows 10, and its A55 chipset is like going back to 2011 again with FM1 socket.

Last edited:

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
This speaks to what AMD is offering these days more than ASUS, if you ask me.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I did about 5 minutes of digging and discovered this: Frys is probably who you need to be mad at waltchan, not Asus.

Why?

Because they are the only place that I would consider reputable actually selling this model (through themselves). Look up Asus M32BF-US002T in Google. Most hits are either sites I wouldn't buy from, or sites listing it for some other seller (Amazon, Walmart, and Newegg being the most prominent ones).

So, while there is a good chance the Frys customers would know better than to actually purchase such an outdated rig, the question remains as to why they would even list it.

And you probably are thinking "but it comes with Windows 10." Again, you can probably blame Frys for that too. If you look at the M32BF on Asus' site, the machine actually came with 8.1. The US002T implies that this model is Frys' special order unit, which comes with Windows 10 (and possibly other changes that I didn't see at quick glance).
https://www.asus.com/us/Tower-PCs/M32BF/

Feb 25, 2011
I did about 5 minutes of digging and discovered this: Frys is probably who you need to be mad at waltchan, not Asus.

Why?

Because they are the only place that I would consider reputable actually selling this model (through themselves). Look up Asus M32BF-US002T in Google. Most hits are either sites I wouldn't buy from, or sites listing it for some other seller (Amazon, Walmart, and Newegg being the most prominent ones).

So, while there is a good chance the Frys customers would know better than to actually purchase such an outdated rig, the question remains as to why they would even list it.

And you probably are thinking "but it comes with Windows 10." Again, you can probably blame Frys for that too. If you look at the M32BF on Asus' site, the machine actually came with 8.1. The US002T implies that this model is Frys' special order unit, which comes with Windows 10 (and possibly other changes that I didn't see at quick glance).

Yup. Fry's wanted it, so ASUS sold it to them.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
The US002T implies that this model is Frys' special order unit, which comes with Windows 10 (and possibly other changes that I didn't see at quick glance).
From what I've been told, Frys' are an authorized reseller, and they don't order any special units. I'm sure Newegg will stock this model shortly. Amazon, coming soon. This is a brand-new 2016-2017 PC model just released this month with 2011-2012 parts. Fry's usually get them first. Newegg, later.

Walmart has it in-stock right now:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-M32B...04291010&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=88956520137&veh=sem

Asus website has been obsolete for a while now. They don't always update it compared with Dell and HP.

Also, I'm kind of surprised you can still get a new board with A55 today. I bought multiple ECS A55F-M4 V2.0 FM1 boards with A55 chipset recently, along with Virtual_Larry together, for $27 each piece. :D

EDIT: Oh wait, it's sold by a third-party seller at Walmart, didn't find Limited Goods seller word. I don't think it's a Fry's only model.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
From what I've been told, Frys' are an authorized reseller, and they don't order any special units. I'm sure Newegg will stock this model shortly. Amazon, coming soon. This is a brand-new 2016-2017 PC model just released this month with 2011-2012 parts. Fry's usually get them first. Newegg, later. If you look online for the CPU itself, you are only going to find little stores that list it way over the price it was when in production, and eBay.

Walmart has it in-stock right now:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-M32B...04291010&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=88956520137&veh=sem

Asus website has been obsolete for a while now. They don't always update it compared with Dell and HP.

Also, I'm kind of surprised you can still get a new board with A55 today. I bought multiple ECS A55F-M4 V2.0 FM1 boards with A55 chipset recently, along with Virtual_Larry together, for $27 each piece. :D

EDIT: Oh wait, it's sold by a third-party seller at Walmart, didn't find Limited Goods seller word. I don't think it's a Fry's only model.

We will have to wait and see if your prediction is true, but in my experience (and I worked in retail for years before going IT) the big stores are the first to get the new models. The fact that this model is only available through little resellers (excluding Frys) doesn't give me high hopes that it is about to bounce back into wide production.

Authorized resellers can and do get their own submodels. This is to prevent price-matching, but also means they can ask for a limited amount of changes within the same general model number. Has been going on for years. Here is a link to who is on their list:
http://promos.asus.com/us/where_to_buy/

This part may be of interest to you:
Built On ASUS notebooks are custom tailored to your exact needs. Choose the processor, hard drive size, memory, and operating system that fits your needs and build the notebook of your dreams.

While this particular statement is limited, the practice is not, and all the big names do it (HP/Compaq, Acer, Lenovo, etc).

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Well said.. This guys is whining about cheap crap because that's what he buys..

Yea, I have had good luck (knock on wood, my grandson has an asus gaming laptop) with Asus. And second that other opinion, highly ironic that a poster so enamored of cheap, ancient hardware should complain about an OEM using it.

I am not a fan of APUs, even the current ones, but for web surfing and general lite use, the A8-5500 would still be decent, I would think. My only reservation would be driver support for the igpu. I could not find the specs, it must be a pretty old version of GCN?

All that said, I would still take an A8-5500 in preference to the atom celerons and pentiums (Edit: and catcore AMD cpus) OEMs are trying to stick into desktops.

Last edited:

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
All that said, I would still take an A8-5500 in preference to the atom celerons and pentiums OEMs are trying to stick into desktops.
Yes, of course A8-5500 is still faster than any of Bay-Trail desktops out there. But for the price it competes with since it's marketed as a quad-core processor (not really) competing with i3, I'll take i3-4170 any day of the week. It's a 2015 model, three years newer for identical price, and much faster than A8-5500. Asus never offered the i3-4170 since they know it will reduce profit.

Asus' corporate ethics aren't that pretty as you think it is, despite all your 20+ years experience. I'm learning better each day, and you'll notice it someday.

Last edited:

Lepton87

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2009
You know what they say? There are no bad products only bad prices. If they have some inventory left of those CPUs there is nothing wrong to sell them as those CPUs are still better then some much newer CPUs. I'm talking about atom CPUs they have no place in a desktop and even in laptops they are questionable. I have a laptop with a quad core silvermont CPU and that thing is a pain to use because of the CPU. I have to wait for everything and when it comes to computers I'm very impatient when something doesn't react instantaneously I assume something is wrong and I click again and it really overwhelms the CPU. I've always had top-notch hardware and I just can't get used to waiting after clicking an icon. That trinity QUAD-CORE is still far better then any Atom CPU or even AMD's own PUMA.

ps. I see that someone already wrote the same thing.

2is

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2012
Yes, pardon me here, and I usually don't complain something like this. Had Asus installed A8-6500 in the first place, this thread wouldn't be created. But installing A8-5500 again for 2017 sales in future sounds like to me Asus is showing no respect to their customers at all. You know I'm right on this one. :thumbsup:

I forgot to mention none of FM2 processors have official Crimson support. A8-5500 isn't really fully compatible with Windows 10, and its A55 chipset is like going back to 2011 again with FM1 socket.

I don't think you know what "accidentally" means.

daxzy

Dec 22, 2013
For the specs and age of the tech, that system is vastly overpriced. Llano came out when Sandybridge was out. Also, only Kaveri (7xxx series) are GCN and have Radeon Crimson support.

HexiumVII

Dec 11, 2005
Honestly, putting a brand new 2016 AMD processor wouldn't chance performance all that much!

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
Honestly, putting a brand new 2016 AMD processor wouldn't chance performance all that much!
None of FM2s support Crimson, so it isn't compatible with Windows 11 at all if it comes out. Asus should have installed A8-7600 Kaveri in first place if they're serious about their reputation. But they didn't and chose to install A8-5500 again up to 2017, plus with no DVD drive this time so they can cheat out more on their customers. :'( That's not reputation, it's fraud. I seriously doubt Michael Dell will allow this in his company if he owns Asus, he will easily say no to A8-5500.

Asus also never offered any FM2+, except in workstations. But Acer and Lenovo did many times, as well as A10-7800, two models available. Plus, both use A75 chipset. Go figure again...

To all loyal Asus customers out there, I don't care what you say about me, and I'm confident in future Asus will rob you and give you a substandard product beyond acceptable. Facts are facts. I was a victim before. You will someday...

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
I don't really understand this intense hatred of Asus, considering all the other crap desktops put out by a variety of OEM's.

All I can say is I have purchased two Asus products, both for my grandson. One was a C2D gaming laptop that I bought around 2010 and that was used for 5 years, and actually I believe still works, but is just slow. Pretty much every other member of my family that purchased HP or Acer laptops at the same time had them fail within a couple of years. Pretty outstanding reliability for a laptop IMO.

I also purchased him a new gaming laptop for graduation last spring that so far has functioned flawlessly. Asus products also (at least the gaming laptops) seem very reasonably priced relative to competitors such as MSI and the boutique brands.

Now granted, my experience with asus has been with relatively high end products. However, I certainly don't think Asus is out to "rob you" any more than any other major corporation.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Should we create a thread for every pre-built system that's a bad deal?

I think I'll just stick to not buying them. Seems far easier.

waltchan

Feb 27, 2015
I don't really understand this intense hatred of Asus, considering all the other crap desktops put out by a variety of OEM's.
For OEM PCs, Asus is more crappier than Dell, HP, and Lenovo right now that I'm seeing. New computers don't last as long as old ones, so Asus isn't always the same in reliability each year. Reliability is based on cost-cutting with greed, and Asus does it well here. At least none of these three still offer Trinity today. Asus motherboards are a different story.

Last edited:

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Am I the only one shocked that waltchan is hating on a company for selling computers with old CPUs?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Am I the only one shocked that waltchan is hating on a company for selling computers with old CPUs?
Not anymore. I took the bait at first. I see now that this person just wants a reason to hate on Asus, and has no interest on the truth of the matter.