A Furry Peanut

Dec 29, 2017
After hours of videos, guides, and forums, I am still confused about how pcie lanes from CPU's and mobos work so I was hoping someone can shed some more light for me.

I currently have an i7 4790k which claims to have a max number of 16 lanes via up to 1x16, 2x8, 1x8+2x4. However due to this mobo doubling my lanes, I effective have 32?

So if I understood everything correctly, which I honestly don't think I did, my 1080 ti will use 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, leaving another 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes open.

I plan on using two NVMe m.2, the extreme9 only allows one nvme in pcie 3.0 x4 (also referred to as ultra m.2) and the other in pcie 2.0. To get around the 2.0 bottleneck I plan on using a PCIe 3.0 x4 Nvme - m.2 adapter instead, which uses up another PCIe x4.

And then I plan on using some of the sata3 connections for more storage which should be fine since ssd's and hard drives don't require pcie lanes (right?).

I was also told recently that the extreme9 has this chip that doubles my pcie lanes effectively giving me 32

Am I on the right track in understanding pcie lanes, and if not can someone help explain where I went wrong?