Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

repsol23

Mar 30, 2008
Has anyone else tried the new bios? I installed them last night and I now have access to a "multiplier" in my bios under cpu. Has anyone else had the same? It just seemed odd since my cpu is an e6700 and not an "es" edition or anything. As for overclocking it seems to be the same as before. Also, for those having trouble running the agp version of the HD3850, I seemed to have found some stability (can make 6 loop complete runs of 3dmark06 with settings of 810/1026 on core and memory respectively) by placing a small sink on the bridge chip. Before I would get BSOD's all the time when trying to run 3dmark. Hope this helps!!

Sl4yer

Feb 5, 2008
Originally posted by: repsol23
Has anyone else tried the new bios? I installed them last night and I now have access to a "multiplier" in my bios under cpu.

Yes, I've got that too. But it's only the same as has been available previously in software - you can lower the default multiplier, but not raise it. At least I can't! (Q6600).

Nothing much else has changed that I've seen so far - still at 2.3 GHz....

repsol23

Mar 30, 2008
Originally posted by: Sl4yer
Has anyone else tried the new bios? I installed them last night and I now have access to a "multiplier" in my bios under cpu.

Yes, I've got that too. But it's only the same as has been available previously in software - you can lower the default multiplier, but not raise it. At least I can't! (Q6600).

Nothing much else has changed that I've seen so far - still at 2.3 GHz....

By software I am assuming you mean something outside of bios options? If so, I didn't realize that there was such an option, what would be the name of the program?

Sl4yer

Feb 5, 2008
By software I am assuming you mean something outside of bios options? If so, I didn't realize that there was such an option, what would be the name of the program?

I can't remember the name - I didn't keep it installed when I found it wouldn't do what I wanted! I'm pretty sure it's mentioned in this thread though. I'll have a look through my downloads later for it.

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
I'm going to finally switch out my PC-3200 and buy some DDR2 ram for this board. I know the board supports up to PC2-5300(667) and I found some Crucial PC2-5300 cas5 ram that I was thinking of buying for it. I also found some Crucial PC2-6400 cas6 ram for the same price. I'm assuming if I throw in the PC2-6400(800mhz) cas6 ram the timings should drop to cas5 @ 667mhz right? Also is this board able to run DDR2 rated at 2.2volts or just 1.8volts?

KDK Warhead

Jan 27, 2008
I got ride of my Augity 2 card and I'm going to use the onboard RealAudio chip instead. I made the same cable hack as cpmee to get digital out but it doesn't work right.

RealTek AudioManger 3D-sound demo:
2ch: Audio from al speakers but the position is wrong.
6ch: Only front left and right speaker but position is good.

I got a 5.1 sound system (Logitech Z-5400) using Coax
RealTek driver 5.10.0.5628 (R1.94)

Speakers worked fine with my Augity 2 card (Coax).

I bought a RCA female and drilled a hole for it in one of the computers PCI cover plates. I then cut of the included SPDIF to VGA cable and connected it to the RCA female.

This means that the motherboards spdif GND is connected to the computer chassis. Maybe that interferes with the digital signal?

cpmee did you get 5.1 sound or only Stereo with spdif?

I get surround using RealTek analogue outputs but I use those for gaming and SPDIF to my TV (AE-500 projector).
Originally posted by: cpmee
Originally posted by: ojrules
off the topic how can you route the hdmi audio cable on the mobo to a coaxil output?..

Its easy, Ive done it and it works fine.

Just get an ordinary RCA cable (surely you have some hanging around from any stereo or tv package) and a tiny 2 pin plug from any old case. Connect together. (Technically the center plug goes to the spdif pin and the outer casing plug goes to gnd, but it will work no matter the polarity)

The 2 pin plug then goes to the motherboard HDMI_SPDIF header, only using the spdif and gnd pins. Do not use the +5v pin.

The only downside I have is that it increases the RF interference to certain TV channels when its plugged in. Unplugging it stops the interference. I should get a heavier shielded RCA cable someday, but its not a priority. Also my TV is only 2 feet from my computer and it has an aluminum case, so if yours is further and a steel case, you should have no interference.

After everything is connected, then go into the Realtek HD Audio Manager > Audio I/O > Digital and set your SPDIF settings. Make sure your receiver is set to receive coaxial input.

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: Microsystem
have rev 2.0 and rev 1.0 same bios?
can i use bios 1.9a for rev 2.0?

The 1.90a bios applies to both rev 1.0 and 2.0 mobos, so yes you can !

;)

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: lowrider69
I'm going to finally switch out my PC-3200 and buy some DDR2 ram for this board. I know the board supports up to PC2-5300(667) and I found some Crucial PC2-5300 cas5 ram that I was thinking of buying for it. I also found some Crucial PC2-6400 cas6 ram for the same price. I'm assuming if I throw in the PC2-6400(800mhz) cas6 ram the timings should drop to cas5 @ 667mhz right? Also is this board able to run DDR2 rated at 2.2volts or just 1.8volts?

Its always a good idea to buy the highest rated DDR2 you can afford, since it will still be applicable for any future mobo upgrades?

A PC2-6400 type (CAS 4 or 5 max) should be a minimum choice. My 2x1Gb of Geil PC2-6400, 4-4-4-12, memory runs ok up to FSB of 320MHz (DDR640) using 3-3-3-9-1t bios settings.

Also, my experience has determined that this mobo works more stable when FSB and Memory are running 1:1, ie, "Dram Freq" setting at "266".

And the bios for this mobo provides DDR2 volts options of 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0v !

:)

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
Originally posted by: jimmor
Originally posted by: lowrider69

Its always a good idea to buy the highest rated DDR2 you can afford, since it will still be applicable for any future mobo upgrades?

A PC2-6400 type (CAS 4 or 5 max) should be a minimum choice. My 2x1Gb of Geil PC2-6400, 4-4-4-12, memory runs ok up to FSB of 320MHz (DDR640) using 3-3-3-9-1t bios settings.

Also, my experience has determined that this mobo works more stable when FSB and Memory are running 1:1, ie, "Dram Freq" setting at "266".

And the bios for this mobo provides DDR2 volts options of 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0v !

I ordered the Crucial PC2-6400 memory. I'm not overclocking(I used to years ago), I also don't care too much about the CAS latency..... I know it can make a difference but I just want good stable ram and I've always used Crucial. My main question was about the tighter timing at a lower clock...which I was thinking should be cas5 @ 667 and cas4 @ 533 which is fine for me. By the time I get a new board..which i'm in no rush... I will most likely have no need for the PC2-6400 anyway.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
does bios 2.0 support E7200?

The E7200 is supported by bios 1.93a. It is however not supported by bios 2.0 !

;)

Who makes/modifies these "beta" BIOS'? They're NOT supported by ASRocks, correct?"

Anyone using this BIOS having issues?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: Budarow
does bios 2.0 support E7200?

The E7200 is supported by bios 1.93a. It is however not supported by bios 2.0 !

;)

Who makes/modifies these "beta" BIOS'? They're NOT supported by ASRocks, correct?"

Bioses like the modified 1.93a version are usually provided by "ASRock USer" through PcTreiber.net forum.

They are not "officially" issued by Asrock. However not that long ago I asked Asrock Tech if they could provide a updated bios which properly supported EIST/Speedstep functions and they Emailed me the latest "ASRock USer" modified bios ---> stating that although the bios was not "official", it would resolve my requirement !

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
which is underclocked in this mobo:
q6600 b3 or q6600 g0
which is better for overclock?

All Quad core types can at default bios settings be expected to underclock on this mobo ---> as stated at Asrock website?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.a...ual-SATA2%20R2.0&s=775

And since the Q6600 G0 vesion consumes less power, and thus produces less heat, it would more likely be the better overclocker ?

;)

dsim1

Jun 9, 2008
Just tried Bios 2.0a and had a few problems; first of all the system had trouble booting with SpeedStep and CPU Thermal Throttling enabled; secondly my E4500 wasn't fully detected and was only detected to have one CPU core. In the end I reflashed back down to 1.9a, and everything is working nicely again.

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
My cpu is E4500 and my mobo is rev1.0
Now I am using 2.0a and have no problem
Is your mobo rev 1.0?

The only problem is that multiplayer change locked in 2.0a while it unlocked in 2.0

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: KDK Warhead
I got ride of my Augity 2 card and I'm going to use the onboard RealAudio chip instead. I made the same cable hack as cpmee to get digital out but it doesn't work right.

RealTek AudioManger 3D-sound demo:
2ch: Audio from al speakers but the position is wrong.
6ch: Only front left and right speaker but position is good.

I got a 5.1 sound system (Logitech Z-5400) using Coax
RealTek driver 5.10.0.5628 (R1.94)

Speakers worked fine with my Augity 2 card (Coax).

I bought a RCA female and drilled a hole for it in one of the computers PCI cover plates. I then cut of the included SPDIF to VGA cable and connected it to the RCA female.

This means that the motherboards spdif GND is connected to the computer chassis. Maybe that interferes with the digital signal?

cpmee did you get 5.1 sound or only Stereo with spdif?

I get surround using RealTek analogue outputs but I use those for gaming and SPDIF to my TV (AE-500 projector).
Originally posted by: cpmee
Originally posted by: ojrules
off the topic how can you route the hdmi audio cable on the mobo to a coaxil output?..

Its easy, Ive done it and it works fine.

Just get an ordinary RCA cable (surely you have some hanging around from any stereo or tv package) and a tiny 2 pin plug from any old case. Connect together. (Technically the center plug goes to the spdif pin and the outer casing plug goes to gnd, but it will work no matter the polarity)

The 2 pin plug then goes to the motherboard HDMI_SPDIF header, only using the spdif and gnd pins. Do not use the +5v pin.

The only downside I have is that it increases the RF interference to certain TV channels when its plugged in. Unplugging it stops the interference. I should get a heavier shielded RCA cable someday, but its not a priority. Also my TV is only 2 feet from my computer and it has an aluminum case, so if yours is further and a steel case, you should have no interference.

After everything is connected, then go into the Realtek HD Audio Manager > Audio I/O > Digital and set your SPDIF settings. Make sure your receiver is set to receive coaxial input.

I get 5.1 sound just fine on my cheap HT-395 receiver. And since getting a CECB box, I no longer get RF interference on my TV. (Hmm, but I did notice a weak DTV channel get weaker as I booted into windows, gonna have to look into that)
On the 5.1 sound system (Logitech Z-5400) using Coax, double check the input options. I used to have a logitech and they were funny (non standard) on the connections and inputs. Also double check the wiring on the newly made adapter.

Thats correct, but shouldnt interfere with the digital signal.

dsim1

Jun 9, 2008
Is your mobo rev 1.0?

The only problem is that multiplayer change locked in 2.0a while it unlocked in 2.0

My motherboard is a revision 1. May have to do more testing with 2.0a, but did you upgrade to 2.0a from the official 2.0 bios? Also if you look in CPU-Z does it see your cpu as having two cores?

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
Originally posted by: dsim1
Is your mobo rev 1.0?

My motherboard is a revision 1. May have to do more testing with 2.0a, but did you upgrade to 2.0a from the official 2.0 bios? Also if you look in CPU-Z does it see your cpu as having two cores?

I upgrade it from 1.9a
i used DOS to upgrade bios
everything is Ok
yes there is 2 cores

dsim1

Jun 9, 2008
Originally posted by: dsim1
Is your mobo rev 1.0?

I upgrade it from 1.9a
i used DOS to upgrade bios
everything is Ok
yes there is 2 cores

Re-flashed 2.0a from the official 2.0 version and everything is working now. Maybe forgetting to load bios defaults after flashing had caused my problems.

hugo123

Jun 12, 2008
Thanks for all the very interesting posts in this thread.
I've not yet experimented with 4GB of DDRII, still using my older 2x1GB DDR 500Mhz
My board is the new version - 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 BIOS flashed 2.0 official

I have just purchased an [MSI GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI-E2.0] G92 the one with VGA Zalman cooler pre-fitted. (GeForce 8800GT G92 core) card must have BIOS that allows it to run on this boards VIA chipset.
It booted and it works very nicely, I guess the PCI Express 2.0 (x4) limitation would drop FPS etc. I am a casual gamer so not a problem.
HL2 Episode2 plays well so far.

For the price point this combination looks pretty good. UK pounds- Board £40 and VGA card £140