Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 62 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Turdpike
rev2 last week and manage to get 309x9 with Jimmor's settings.
,,,2GB OCZ Platinum EL PC3200

I've got the same RAM... the most I can get is 231FSB at 1:1 using 2.5,3,3,8 and high DDR ram volts and high agp volts. What are your timings? (just curious).

I'm assume you're using multipliers.....

Does Anyone know what the DDR volts actually are on this board (not DDR2, but DDR 1)

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Phatjayunoi
What the hell? Did you manage to get that from upping the FSB in the BIOS? Cause if so, you must be one of the few lucky ones since the Quad Core CPUs are extremely hard to overclock on this motherboard. And I can assume that will also be the reason why you may be getting the CRC errors i.e. think of it as a double-edged sword.

Many people that have this motherboard and a Quad Core CPU (Myself included) can barely overclock it from the BIOS, or some not even at all and have to put up with the 5% underclock. Using programs like SetFSB usually gets past this problem, but even so it becomes troublesome finding the right settings.

Yes, I upped fsb from bios and boot from there. But the fsb must adjusted 1 step for it too boot into windows. If 2-3 step selected. Windows freezes on startup. Also priming each 1fsb adjustment helps the mobo to stabilize.

I get CRC errors as well when running stock. Could be incompatibilities with this old samsung dvd drive.

BTW, I am priming now at 312x9. I will post screenschot tomorrow when it does 8-12hr prime. I think i'm about to max the board. But there's still one settings I haven't touched and been googling all day how it works. That is the GTL Control. It's what quad core depends on along with vtt to scale higher. But stock vtt is enough for this mb.

Edit: Here's a little teaser. I will prime it all night long.
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1875/quest6fx4.jpg

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: doubleOseven
Originally posted by: Turdpike
rev2 last week and manage to get 309x9 with Jimmor's settings.
,,,2GB OCZ Platinum EL PC3200

I've got the same RAM... the most I can get is 231FSB at 1:1 using 2.5,3,3,8 and high DDR ram volts and high agp volts. What are your timings? (just curious).

I'm assume you're using multipliers.....

Does Anyone know what the DDR volts actually are on this board (not DDR2, but DDR 1)

My OCZ ram can do (220mhz 2-3-2-6@2.85v) (242mhz 2.5-3-2-6@2.85V) (260mhz 3-3-2-8@2.65V)

Try playing with memtest86+ I think you should be able to set your precharge to 2 from 3. It gives more boost than cas latency. Also this board dislikes 1t timing, it becomes very unstable. So you must always use 2t all the time. It sucks performance wise but better for stablility.

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Thanks Jon for your reply. It worked... I'm now at 2.5,3,2,6 at 231 FSB (where I want it), and it works great, passed Memtest86+ for 6 full passes. My memory benchmark scores are better now. Thanks again!

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Glad to help doubleOseven. The OCZ we have uses infineon be-5 ic.

This should help everyone who are experiencing the (cold boot issue) *don't know exactly what to call it* Where you boot to windows with oc'ed settings run prime95 for hours on end, then freeze when you decide to reboot your pc. My suspect is that when these parameters set to auto while oc'ing. Could also be changing when you reboot. So therefore we fill these parameters with the value we take from everest chipset data. Note* You have to use the values you take from everest as everyone ram is different. This is just an example.
http://img50.imageshack.us/img...836/ramtweakingqe0.jpg

Now my priming days are over. I think I should stop at these settings.
http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/8833/quest7og6.jpg

Regards,
Jon

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: vixensjlin
Does anybody know if my Asrock 4CoreDual SATA2 (rev1.0) support the engineering sample Q6400? which version of the BIOS support it? Thanks!

The latest bios should support speedstep. Hence, I can change mine downwards from 9-6 with bios P2.0. I think any bios should work for your ES. What you want is a bios that is stable.

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Anyone know what the actual voltages are are for low, normal and high for DDR ram (not DDR2, but for old DDR).... thanks!

Low-2.50v normal-2.60v high-2.70v. So if your 3.3V rail is somewhere around 3.35V-3.40V, you get a .02v-.03v increase accordingly. Same thing applies to vagp.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by: xfezz
I have come to the conclusion this board blows. I wonder how much I can sell it for.

ROFL...I agree;) This mobo (and all similar ASRocks boards) are truely for those who are DEAD broke on the $$$ front yet want a faster cpu (i.e., they don't have/can't get any $$ to buy a PCI-E video card about equal to their AGP card). And RAM is not an issue. For a LONG time, DDR2 has been REALLY cheap (unless they've owned this mobo for over a year or so).

As for me, I bought this board cause I didn't want to have spare parts collecting dust, but as it turns out, I'm gonna have spare parts (this mobo) cause I've got to upgrade to another mobo.

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: JonW
Anyone know what the actual voltages are are for low, normal and high for DDR ram (not DDR2, but for old DDR).... thanks!

Low-2.50v normal-2.60v high-2.70v. So if your 3.3V rail is somewhere around 3.35V-3.40V, you get a .02v-.03v increase accordingly. Same thing applies to vagp.

Thanks Jon for this great info. Gosh, it would be nice if Hi was say 2.85... get some better overclocks!

As for those that say the board sucks etc., well I'm happy with it....

jordanclock

Aug 15, 2006
I noticed a few people wondering why they're getting CRC errors when overclocking: Are you using SATA drives? Because as far as I can tell, overclocking AT ALL will render SATA drives pretty much useless.

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: jordanclock
I noticed a few people wondering why they're getting CRC errors when overclocking: Are you using SATA drives? Because as far as I can tell, overclocking AT ALL will render SATA drives pretty much useless.

I managed to fix mine, I don't know exactly what fixed it though. Either SP3 or from plugging and unplugging the ide cable :D. I just installed most of my games today mass effect/cod4/oblivion/hl2 and non of them produced any crc errors. But then again, i've been beating on the board since I got'em. Prime95 after Prime95 and looping 3dmark01. Those cheap capacitors were probably getting burn in.

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
I managed to fix mine, I don't know exactly what fixed it though. Either SP3 or from plugging and unplugging the ide cable :D.

I would say it was the old optical drive or the cable. I generally need to take mine apart and clean the laser diode after 18-24 months on any make of optical drive, or crc read errors become common.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Microsystem
Official asrock bios dose not support E7200. Only moded bios 1.93a and 2.0a support E7200 you can download here:
http://www.pctreiber.net/filebase.php?cat=143
It is better to use Dos for updating moded bios because windows software provided by www.pctreiber.net may lose your MAC address.
there is no different between dos or windows bios.

Different for pci-express 16x and 4x for your midrange card is negligible.

Will those hacked BIOSes work on the 775Dual-VSTA boards to support 45nm CPUs, or just the 4CoreDual-SATA2?

d0uble

Jun 26, 2008
Just got my system finally up and running and stumbled across this forum.

I had one question though for KDK warhead... or anyone else who would know the answer...

Do you run your ddr2 ram at 533mhz? Would running 533 just be better for overclocking just because of the 1:1, or would you see a performance increase in 667? Thanks for any help.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One more thing... does anyone know where i can find a spare I/O Shield? the metal thing that covers the inputs so that the mobo isnt showing on the back of the case.

its one of these if you dont know what im talkin about... http://i11.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/e7/33/0aaf_1.JPG

I ordered it off the egg and it was an open box (which didnt come with anything). i didnt realize until i recieved it.

I tried eBay but i couldnt find one. Thanks again for any help. :)

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
I know this board doesn't officially support ddr2 6400, but have people run into any issues using 6400 ram?

fritzfield

Mar 4, 2003
No. With the 1.93a BIOS, I was able to use 2 x 2GB sticks of DDR2-800 RAM recognized as 3GB and change on my Vista 64 system. I'm assuming DDR2 800 is the same as PC6400.

brokencase

Oct 7, 2007
I'm still sitting at rev 1.5 bios. I there any compelling reason to update to the newer BIOS?
Any new settings availible for a faster overclock?

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: cpmee
I managed to fix mine, I don't know exactly what fixed it though. Either SP3 or from plugging and unplugging the ide cable :D.

I would say it was the old optical drive or the cable. I generally need to take mine apart and clean the laser diode after 18-24 months on any make of optical drive, or crc read errors become common.

You think my dvd drive is going bad? I keep getting this error at system event properties. "The device\ide\idePort3. did not respond within the timeout"

This mobo is the quirkies mb I have ever owned. After fixing one thing another arises. While listening to itunes on system idle. The songs would cut off randomly. But if the system is fully loaded, say prime95. The nuances doesn't occur. I've tried bios P2.0, this is probably the crappiest one out of all of them. It can only detect one of hard drive. It tends to loose my main hard drive. The system freezes since winxp is missing. It's a love and hate relationship with this mobo, thats for sure :D

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
I read that the 9600GT will work on this board because Nvidia shipped them all with a compatible BIOS(for the Via PT880 chipset)..is this true? Anybody try one? I'm looking at a XFX 9600GT.

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008

You think my dvd drive is going bad? I keep getting this error at system event properties. "The device\ide\idePort3. did not respond within the timeout"

This mobo is the quirkies mb I have ever owned. After fixing one thing another arises. While listening to itunes on system idle. The songs would cut off randomly. But if the system is fully loaded, say prime95. The nuances doesn't occur. I've tried bios P2.0, this is probably the crappiest one out of all of them. It can only detect one of hard drive. It tends to loose my main hard drive. The system freezes since winxp is missing. It's a love and hate relationship with this mobo, thats for sure :D

Jon -- You wouldn't by chance have the power-saving mode in XP turned on -- such that the hard-drive(s) power down after say 20 mins of inactivity? I did -- and it caused me problems, so I deactivated that to make the drives run all the time. Works fine now.

JonW

Jun 23, 2008

Jon -- You wouldn't by chance have the power-saving mode in XP turned on -- such that the hard-drive(s) power down after say 20 mins of inactivity? I did -- and it caused me problems, so I deactivated that to make the drives run all the time. Works fine now.

double0seven, can you point as where to look for this settings? The whole system freezes just about that time limit, say 10-20min.

thanks,
jon

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Jon -- In XP, go to the Start Menu, then up to Settings, Control Panel, then find and click on the icon "Power Options" -- then in that menu, be sure that hard drives and standby are set to "never"... that should help.

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Jon -- In XP, go to the Start Menu, then up to Settings, Control Panel, then find and click on the icon "Power Options" -- then in that menu, be sure that hard drives and standby are set to "never"... that should help.

Thanks for tip double0seven, My power option is set correctly. They're always set on never. Althgouh I manage to fix all the problem. I downgraded to bios P1.80 that fixed the sound problem. I lost 100mhz oc on the cpu though but so far it's been stable, I will get this system back to 2.82Ghz when I tweak it again. The freezing problem was due to the asus ide cable that I was using. It was brand new and it came with the P4C800-E mb I had before. For some strange reason I replaced the gray ide cable that came with the asrock mb was previously using this, it looked like crap so I decided to replace it. Stability went downhill from there. Infact all of the Asus ide cable made my system unstable over 300fsb. I'm still baffled as to how could something as simple as an ide could do such thing. Whatever that gray ide cable that came with the asrock mb made was. It was sure magic lol :D