Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 61 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KDK Warhead

Jan 27, 2008

I get 5.1 sound just fine on my cheap HT-395 receiver. And since getting a CECB box, I no longer get RF interference on my TV. (Hmm, but I did notice a weak DTV channel get weaker as I booted into windows, gonna have to look into that)
On the 5.1 sound system (Logitech Z-5400) using Coax, double check the input options. I used to have a logitech and they were funny (non standard) on the connections and inputs. Also double check the wiring on the newly made adapter.

This means that the motherboards spdif GND is connected to the computer chassis. Maybe that interferes with the digital signal?
Thats correct, but shouldnt interfere with the digital signal.

This is strange. I do get sound from front left and right speakers with coax so the cable must be right. I thought that my cable was to long so a bought a ASUS MB spdif backplate. I first tryed the coax conection and the result was the same as my home made backplate. I then tryed the optical port but I got the same results.

Running the 3D-sounddemo gives surround to my other set of speakers using analog output from the MB. But I only get 2CH sound trough Coax or Optical spdif.

I use R1.94 drivers from Realtek (5.10.0.5628). Maybe you used som other drivers?

Setting on the Z-5400:
Input: Coax or Optical 1
Effect: Dolby PLII Movie

KDK Warhead

Jan 27, 2008
I found out that Realtek do not have Dolby Digital encoding so I will only get 2CH sound unless the source is AC3. I will do some more testing.

KDK Warhead

Jan 27, 2008
Tryed a AC3 movie... an I got surround!
I was fooled by the Realtek 3D Audio Demo and a 3D sound file.

Movies works fine and that what I need. Thanks for the help anyway.

Sl4yer

Feb 5, 2008
Originally posted by: Polter
Is there any way increasing the FSB without inscreasing the clock speed?

I have the rev a mobo(it says so in the BIOS) upgrade it to 2.0a

You may be able to lower the multiplier with the new BIOS, and run at 12 x 266 or something. Presumably 3.3GHz is the best your CPU will do?

Probably not much benefit in doing that though - you'll see more benefit from dropping a Core2Duo in. :D

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Sl4yer
Is there any way increasing the FSB without inscreasing the clock speed?

I have the rev a mobo(it says so in the BIOS) upgrade it to 2.0a

You may be able to lower the multiplier with the new BIOS, and run at 12 x 266 or something. Presumably 3.3GHz is the best your CPU will do?

Probably not much benefit in doing that though - you'll see more benefit from dropping a Core2Duo in. :D

I've got a PD 925 proc and the multiplier is LOCKED at 15x. At least I believe it's locked because I can't get the multiplier to NOT be "grayed out". I can't run mine any higher than 3.42 GHz (15x228) on stock cooling and NO increase in Vcore.

I'm thinking of buying an E4600 from Microcenter for $106 (in store only) due to it's 12x multiplier and hoping I can raise my FSB to ~250 with a 4CoreDualVSTA for an OC of ~3.0GHz which should be pretty darn fast:).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Budarow
I'm thinking of buying an E4600 from Microcenter for $106 (in store only) due to it's 12x multiplier and hoping I can raise my FSB to ~250 with a 4CoreDualVSTA for an OC of ~3.0GHz which should be pretty darn fast:).
You won't be able to get to 3.0Ghz with only default vcore. You'll need to do a vcore mod on the CPU.
The highest I've gotten stable (with a different ASRock mobo, the Conroe865PE), with an E4400 is 2.8Ghz (280 x 10), with stock vcore.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
You won't be able to get to 3.0Ghz with only default vcore. You'll need to do a vcore mod on the CPU.
The highest I've gotten stable (with a different ASRock mobo, the Conroe865PE), with an E4400 is 2.8Ghz (280 x 10), with stock vcore.

It'd still be worth a shot even without the mod. I'm already running my D925 (which is a 95w proc) at 15x X 228 FSB so I'm hoping since the E4600 is a 65 watt proc (and runs cooler than a Pentium D, both OC'ed), I may get lucky.

Polter

Jun 9, 2008

I've got a PD 925 proc and the multiplier is LOCKED at 15x. At least I believe it's locked because I can't get the multiplier to NOT be "grayed out". I can't run mine any higher than 3.42 GHz (15x228) on stock cooling and NO increase in Vcore.

Yeah, me too, dunno how can I enable that multiplier. Im already using th 2.0a BIOS. Anyone tried using Crystal CPUID? Can this board handle E8400? Its priced at Php 9300($208) here in my country.

*EDIT*

BTW, I'm not using stock cooling since I found it too noisy, so I used ASUS VR Guard instead, but I don't know how far can it take. A few minutes ago I saw an E8400 sold for Php 7800 ($175) at an Online Computer Store.

profjekyll

Jun 16, 2008
I have just flashed to BIOS 2.00 from 1.80a (which was a fixed version the technical support sent me) and have now lost functionality of the CPU Quiet Fan. Has anyone else found a workaround to this?

Please email me on jwj.junk"at"gmail.com

Thanks

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007
Originally posted by: KDK Warhead
Tryed a AC3 movie... an I got surround!
I was fooled by the Realtek 3D Audio Demo and a 3D sound file.

Movies works fine and that what I need. Thanks for the help anyway.

Thats good, I was going to suggest you get an AC3 codec from K-lite or other codec paks, but you seem to have gotten one somewhere. :thumbsup:

cpmee

Dec 3, 2007

Yeah, me too, dunno how can I enable that multiplier. Im already using th 2.0a BIOS. Anyone tried using Crystal CPUID? Can this board handle E8400? Its priced at Php 9300($208) here in my country.

*EDIT*

BTW, I'm not using stock cooling since I found it too noisy, so I used ASUS VR Guard instead, but I don't know how far can it take. A few minutes ago I saw an E8400 sold for Php 7800 ($175) at an Online Computer Store.

You dont want to waste an e8400 on this board. The e8400 is a 1333fsb processor with a 9.5 multiplier. This board is only 1066 fsb, so you would be drastically underclocked. Newegg sells the e8400 retail version all day long for $189, with a 3 year warranty and sink.

segestria

Jun 8, 2008
That is most interesting, but it leads to a problem: I wish to acquire the Asrock Dual SATA 2 , then build a windows XP Pro system using an efficient E7200....but how can I install windows ans so use aWindows Bios flashing utuility when I don't yet have the bios flashed to recognise the E7200...and so can't install windows ?

Can someone point me to a DOS flashing utility which could be used with a bootable disc to flash the 2.00a Bios mod which I have now DL on my present system ??

The Bios flashing instructions on the PCTreiber site are a little mangled in places by Google trans, though it seem they say a windows flashing utility should be used with "unofficial" mods; presumably the 2.00a is unofficial ? And why should this be so ?

If I can get this sorted, I'll go ahead and buy the bits happily.

The option of 4MB of ram also appeals (for use in linux possibly) even though XP Pro won't use it all

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
download dos version of bios 2.0 from asrock website
there is an exe file let bios 2.a beside it and in dos type this exe file plus bios filename

c4rr0n

Jun 22, 2008
hi guys, i am new to this forum and have some questions for u:
i bought an Asrock Dual SATA 2 mobo kinda 6 months ago hoping to upgrade my old system step by step...now i want to buy a CPU for it and i would like an E 7200 C2D and now come the questions...
1.i don't know my mobo BIOS version...but i am sure it needs update...i never made an update for BIOS so i am little confused:i saw on Assrock website a lot of BIOS versions,do i need to go through every one version,starting of course from my mobo one?
2.my agp card will be a while an nvidia 6600 LE,i intend to go to a pci one,any news about the limited 4 x PCI? ( don't have time to read full topic..sorry :| )
3.if i manage to update the mobo bios..the system will look like that: E 7200 C2D, 6600 LE video card, 1 GB ddr 667, an 80 seagate IDE HDD, windows xp sp2 ....is all that going to work well? i intend to exchange all of that but i am curious to know if i can rely on this system for a while...especially in games.

thx a lot

fritzfield

Mar 4, 2003
If the e7200 has a 1333FSB, then it will run underclocked on this board as it maxes out at 1066FSB. Updating the BIOS is pretty easy. Just go to the ASROCK support site and get the latest one. You only need to use the latest as it will encompass all the rest.

c4rr0n

Jun 22, 2008
e7200 has 1066 FSB but as far as i know this cpu wasn't suported before v 1.9 of mobo bios...and i am sure that my mobo bios version is older than that..maybe 1.80.will i be able to update his bios with this cpu? what is difference between the win and dos verions of bios listed on assrock site? do i need both? or is the same thing? i am not that good with dos...
thx for ur quick answer ;)

fritzfield

Mar 4, 2003
If you use the "Win" version, all you need to do is click on it and the BIOS updares automatically. No need to use a DOS bootdisk.

xfezz

Dec 13, 2007
I wonder if the 4850 would work on this mobo and if so how much of a performance hit it would take on the x4 pci-e bus. I would like to upgrade from my x1950pro agp to hold me over until I figure out what to do when nehalem comes out. Also im curious on the power draw between the two cards.

anonxlg

Jun 22, 2008
i skimmed through the topic a bit, have a few questions:
how reliable is the 'a' bios (2.0a is the latest i guess), i opened the readme and as expected not in english; is there anyway to boot into dos without a floppy, or is my best bet just burning the iso and booting it from there?
i want to overclock it, for my p4, i just changed the multiplier and didnt do anything for the ram, and it was stable, for this mobo, i oced my e4400 from 2.2 to 2.4ghz, it seemed stable, but when i tried 2.8ghz it didnt boot and i had to take out the battery, i'm guessing that i have to do the ram timings (which i dont really know anything about) but there's no option for that there, would the 'a' bios solve this? (i have 2x1gb ocz ddr2)
also, about the pci-e 4x limitation, how much of a performance drop is it from 16x to 4x? i'm thinking of getting a 8800gt but if there's a huge performance dive, i dont think i'll bother (i have 1650xt right now)

my main concern is getting speedstep working, i dont see why asrock doesnt have this implemented when a custom bios got it working

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Does anyone know the fix for crc error when installing games or copying large data files from dvd/cd-r to hard drive? I've been reading through this thread since I got my 4coredual sata2 rev2 last week and manage to get 309x9 with Jimmor's settings.

Here's my result so far, no mod for the board.
As long as I prime for 8hrs, the mb boots to windows ok.
http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=quest4lk4.jpg]
quest4lk4.th.jpg
[/URL]
http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=quest5ii4.jpg]
quest5ii4.th.jpg
[/URL]

I am now priming at 309x9...I will update later.

Specs:
Intel Q6600@2.4Ghz
Asrock 4CoreDual Sata2 Rev2.00
2GB OCZ Platinum EL PC3200
Auzentech X-Plosion
500GB/160GB Western Digital ATA-100
Sapphire HD3850 AGP
700W Ultra PSU

Phatjayunoi

Mar 6, 2008
What the hell? Did you manage to get that from upping the FSB in the BIOS? Cause if so, you must be one of the few lucky ones since the Quad Core CPUs are extremely hard to overclock on this motherboard. And I can assume that will also be the reason why you may be getting the CRC errors i.e. think of it as a double-edged sword.

Many people that have this motherboard and a Quad Core CPU (Myself included) can barely overclock it from the BIOS, or some not even at all and have to put up with the 5% underclock. Using programs like SetFSB usually gets past this problem, but even so it becomes troublesome finding the right settings.