Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2

Page 64 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by: lowrider69
Originally posted by: Budarow
I read that the 9600GT will work on this board because Nvidia shipped them all with a compatible BIOS(for the Via PT880 chipset)..is this true? Anybody try one? I'm looking at a XFX 9600GT.

I've got a PNY 9600GT running in my 4CoreDual mobo. I tried running a 8800GT 256MBer, but it wouldn't display any image at all so I went back to the 9600GT. I think all the 8800GTs need the "old" BIOS (V1.0) to work on this mobo as I believe Engineer has indicated many times.

Just installed a XFX 9600GT in this board about two hours ago and it runs like a champ. Upgraded from a 8600GTS which I should have never bought but I did because I wasn't sure what was a safe to stick in this board four months ago. Didn't want to get a 8800GT and have to flash the bios..etc... didn't want to take a chance and get a 9 series back then and look at a black screen. Anyway, this card is great for the $$, got the stock 9600GT..$139 with a $10 rebate from the egg(it's now a $20 rebate..oh well), very happy with it. It eats up the games(UT3 and GRID) that the 8600gts was struggling on and it runs cooler.

Thanks for reminding me...I've got to bench my 9600GT with COH to see if my jump from a PentD925 at 3.42 GHz to an E4600 at 2.82 GHz increased my frames any:)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Tedtalker1
New BIOS 2.01 Out today on pctreiber.net. Supports ATI 4850.

"For AMD Radeon Hd 4850. Add Radeon HD 4850 in "PCIE downstream Pipeline? and ?PCIE VC1 Request Queue?

Will these BIOSes work on the 775dual-VSTA board too?

jimmor

Dec 16, 2007
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Originally posted by: Tedtalker1
New BIOS 2.01 Out today on pctreiber.net. Supports ATI 4850.

"For AMD Radeon Hd 4850. Add Radeon HD 4850 in "PCIE downstream Pipeline? and ?PCIE VC1 Request Queue?

Will these BIOSes work on the 775dual-VSTA board too?

The 775dual-VSTA uses different bioses (including modded types), see links below:-

http://www.asrock.com/mb/downl...del=775Dual-VSTA&s=775

http://www.pctreiber.net/download_kategorie_22.html

And these are more likely to be discussed in Anandtech's 775dual-VSTA thread, rather than this 4coredual-sata2 thread ?

:)

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Jon -- I notice in your signature that you're using bios 1.90.... I was wondering if you find it to be better than 1.80, and why.... (I'm at 1.80, seems fine, but not sure if 1.90 is better overall).... Thx.

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: doubleOseven
Jon -- I notice in your signature that you're using bios 1.90.... I was wondering if you find it to be better than 1.80, and why.... (I'm at 1.80, seems fine, but not sure if 1.90 is better overall).... Thx.

Bios P1.90 has less quirks and it's much more stable for oc e.g. no hard drive or dvd drive missing. It has a bit more oc headroom than the other bioses. It's also more tweaking friendly, You can mess up some settings from the bios and it would recover properly once you clear the cmos. The other bioses just gets very unstable, sometimes they don't even work properly at auto stock settings. It looks like that PCI-E Sync with Cpu option from bios isn't even working properly. I downloaded setfsb last night and check to see if the pci bus was locked properly and it is indeed. But the PCI-E frequency was stuck at 100. If Asrock releases a bios for us ddr users that changes the strap from 4:3 to 5:4. This thing would literally fly.

Also I think those OST caps around the mobo are just to weak for oc'ing. I have a bunch of these caps at my drawers that I removed from a P4C mb. Which had cold boot issues. After replacing these caps with Rubycon brand. The P4C became very stable e.g. no more cold boot.

Edit:
I'm going to experiment with these, next time I clean my pc. (Parallel Capacitance)
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_13/4.html

d0uble

Jun 26, 2008
Originally posted by: Microsystem
what happen if i use this mobo with E7200 and standard bios?
can i update bios to 2.0a with E7200

the default bios (not sure which version) is not compatible with the e7200. you have to flash the bios in dos before you can install windows.

make sure you have a boot disk and another floppy with the bios/ASrflash utility on it.

i used bios 2.00a. im not sure which other versions support the e7200.

---------------------

on another note, i got my fsb back up to 293. i have no clue what happened before, but i didnt change any settings again; i just raised it, and it took it.

i also got my ddr2 to 3-3-3-8 from 4-4-4-10. still gotta run some tests to see if its stable. :)

Microsystem

Nov 9, 2007
Originally posted by: d0uble

the default bios (not sure which version) is not compatible with the e7200. you have to flash the bios in dos before you can install windows.

make sure you have a boot disk and another floppy with the bios/ASrflash utility on it.

---------------------

on another note, i got my fsb back up to 293. i have no clue what happened before, but i didnt change any settings again; i just raised it, and it took it.

i also got my ddr2 to 3-3-3-8 from 4-4-4-10. still gotta run some tests to see if its stable. :)

thanks for you answer
this means system work in Dos (and not in windows) with E7200 and standard bios then I can update bios to 2.0a

that was your method to update bios to 2.0a or you use another CPU

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: JonW
SNIP
Bios P1.90 has less quirks and it's much more stable for oc

Thanks Jon for your help -- much appreciated.

I just updated my bios from 1.80 to 1.90.... so far so good. After the flash, I immediately set to optimal settings (to reset the bios) and then I rebooted, and then tweaked it.

You once asked me if my bios' APIC HTEL Table was set to Enable or Disable. I left it at the default value (disable) -- I didn't play with that setting as I wasn't sure what it did.

As for the advanced memory settings, I have the 4 settings at the default (auto) values, while as you said you put them all to 150ps. What does the 150ps do? I'm a basic overclocker. My OCZ pc3200 EL Platinum 2 gig kit is running at timings 2.5,3,2,6 at 231 FSB at high memory volts, and the AGP chipset is set at high volts too... Fast V-link is enabled. (this with an e4600 o/c from 2.4Ghz to 2.77Ghz)

I'm running an old AGP card (an ATI AIW 9700 Pro, locked at 66 Mhz). I thus haven't fiddled with the PCI-E settings as I have no need to.

Cheers!

d0uble

Jun 26, 2008
Originally posted by: d0uble

---------------------

thanks for you answer
this means system work in Dos (and not in windows) with E7200 and standard bios then I can update bios to 2.0a

that was your method to update bios to 2.0a or you use another CPU

yes dos works with e7200 installed and no os. just make sure you have a bootdisk so you can get into dos.

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Was playing with WPCredit and here's my finding.

Advanced Memory Config
Default:
DRAM Drv DQS
D0F3RxE0 = 44
D0F3RxE1 = 44

DRAM Drv CS
D0F3RxE4 = 43
D0F3RxE5 = 43

DRAM Drv DCLKA, B
D0F3RxE6 = 99
D0F3RxE7 = 99

Advanced Host Control
GTL Control
Default:
GTL 2x Pullup = 22h (55h *my setting*)
GTL 2x Pulldown = 33h
GTL 4x Pullup = 22h (55h *my setting*)
GTL 4x Pulldown = 99h
GTL MEM Interface Timing = 5
GTL IO = 38
GTL CMP STS = 54

Hopefully this will help anyone who's trying to achieve a bit more stability and fsb. These settings are the bases e.g. something to start with. I don't think it matters either you are using DDR or DDR2/Quad or Dual since Pctrebier has these same default values using wpcredit. So far I've only tweak GTL. (Still testing) Tweaking these GTL Control helps the oc to boot in/out windows without that pesky boot logo freeze screen (where it's almost a hit or miss when trying to boot into windows with your oc settings, be it Prime95/Memtest86+ stable). When tweaking GTL Control, make sure to change setting 1 or 2 at a time and if you do go in small steps backward and forward. Setting wrong parameters will lead to no boot. You obviously have to clear cmos and try again.

Goodluck and happy tweaking :p

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
Anybody know what the PCI-E clock auto setting sets the PCI-E clock to on this board? I have a e6420(266mhz FSB which I set manually) and was wondering if auto sets it to sync with the CPU or leaves it at 100mhz. Also I read that if it syncs with the CPU it sets it at half the FSB(133mhz). Long story short I was playing a game last night and my 9600GT locked up and produced green artifacts. Not being a noob to GPUs and having seen lockups before it looked to me like the type of artifacts you get when you overclock the GPU and/or card Memory. I ran ATItool and scanned for artifacts and it was error free.

SO after some searching I found this from post from Unwinder:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm....1&mpage=2&key=??

"Those who have stability issues with 9600 series should check PCI-E clock in mainboard BIOS and ensure that it is NOT overclocked. If it is overclocked, 9600GT GPU gets automatically overclocked too, and such overclocking is invisible for NVIDIA drivers as well as for any diagnostic software:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showp...?p=2618748&postcount=1"

I set it manually to 100mhz just to be on the safe side. It has not crashed again...so far, i'm hoping this was the issue. Temps and PSU are both fine.

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Auto sets it to synch with the CPU... so if you overclock the CPU, you'll o/c your graphics card.... which can cause video problems... so in that case you should lock it to 100Mhz...

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
Auto sets it to synch with the CPU... so if you overclock the CPU, you'll o/c your graphics card.... which can cause video problems... so in that case you should lock it to 100Mhz...

Well my CPU runs default 266mhz FSB. So is it true that the PCI-e clock runs at half the FSB when it's in sync? So was my PCI-e clock running @ 133mhz then? Could have sworn my old 8600gts was showing the correct GPU/Memory clocks when I had it installed and I never had an issue. Maybe things get messy with the 9600gt, either way doesn't seem like anything was damaged, ran 3DMark06 and ATItool again and both were fine.

Edit: Actually I think if the CPU runs stock @ 266mhz fsb the PCI-e slot runs @ 100mhz. If I overclock the CPU above that with sync enabled the PCI-e mhz goes up. So this may have all been for nothing, hopefully the card won't crash again.

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
A helping guide for those who want some help installing a modded or official bios under MS-DOS using a 1.44mb floppy disk

When formatting a floppy diskette, users have the option of creating a MS-DOS startup disk, follow the below steps to do this.

1. Place diskette in the computer.
2. Open My Computer, right-click the A: drive and click Format.
3. In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
4. Click Start

You will now need to create a second floppy diskette as the ASRflash Utility and Bios will not all fit in the same diskette that contains the MS-DOS startup program that you just created.

In the new second floppy disk do not tick the Create an MS-DOS startup disk.

Once you finish (if unformatted) the quick format, place in the floppy disk your ASRflash Utility and intended Bios.

To make it easy rename the bios file you intend to use with a number (3) or call it by a name e.g. (blue) or whatever you like.

Boot up your pc go into (F11) select boot from floppy diskette.

After rebooting you should see this symbol (A: \> if all has gone ok.

You now need to remove from your PC the first boot up diskette with the MS-DOS program and insert your second floppy disk that contains the ASRflash Utility and selected bios.

With the second floppy disk inserted after this symbol A: \"> enter the word ASRFLASH leave one space and the bios file name that you assigned.

For e.g. if you changed and assigned the bios file with the name blue, It should be entered like below.

A: \">asrflash blue

Then press enter and your new bios should install.

Hope it all goes well for you guy?s.
Don?t forget that there are always risks when installing new Bios.

:thumbsup:

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Is a bios flash do-able with a USB drive too?!
may be safer, considering that floppies aren't the most reliable things on earth.

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
may be safer, considering that floppies aren't the most reliable things on earth.

Yes a USB Bios Flash is possible and less complicated compared to the older floppies method that required two 1.44Mb floppy disks in order to fit all the necessary files using the official ASRflash tool.

One of the reasons why I used the floppy Bios Flash method was that I could not get my Motherboard to boot from a USB device no matter what I tried and burning a CD for a CD Bios Flash was wasteful IMO.

anonxlg

Jun 22, 2008
i got 2.00a working, for the speedstep

i just overclocked my e4500 from 2.2ghz to 2.42ghz from fsb
i remember previously i overclocked it to 2.8ghz and it booted but it 'froze' i'm guessing it was from for video card out of sync since it was set it auto

well, now i have the pci-e video set to 100mhz (unless i shouldnt, i really dont know)

anyways, i want to overclock it some more since my temps are very good (40-42c at load) and i know i'll probably have to do the ram timings, which i dont know how to
currently cpuz shows my ram at 3:4 (fsb:dram), dram at 293mhz
my ram is 2x1gb pc2-6400 (400mhz) ocz

any help would be appreciated

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Make sure that in your bios, you have your memory voltage set to high and as well your AGP voltage set to high (it puts more volts to the Northbridge chip, actually). And, put Vlink to fast.

Yes, make the pci-e set to 100, and also agp (not that you're running one) to 66Mhz

Do a Memtest86+ test to make sure your memory is stable.... and if so, then test CPU stability with Orthos (small FFTs, max CPU heat).

I have my e4600 running from 2.4 to 2.77Ghz stable now. However, one day I'll do a volt pin mod to it (increases volts to CPU) so that I can go higher. There is also the BSEL pin mod that you can do, that brings the chip from 800 FSB to 1033 Mhz.
See: http://www.overclock.net/intel...sel-vid-mod-guide.html

JonW

Jun 23, 2008
Originally posted by: Mr Vain

Yes a USB Bios Flash is possible and less complicated compared to the older floppies method that required two 1.44Mb floppy disks in order to fit all the necessary files using the official ASRflash tool.

One of the reasons why I used the floppy Bios Flash method was that I could not get my Motherboard to boot from a USB device no matter what I tried and burning a CD for a CD Bios Flash was wasteful IMO.

Great guide with flashing bios and mac address. The key is F11 :p The mb has trouble booting dos if I choose usb/floppy to boot first. That took me forever to figure it out lol. Btw, Mr Vain here's the utility you need to create a usb flash drive. HP USB Utility Just unzip the mac tools/bios to your usb flash drive and your set :D .

What I notice last night when tweaking the ram timings etc.. When Pipeline DRQ set to enabled there's no way in hell to pass memtest #5. The results are pretty random by nature, So the first run will pass, exit memtest and re-test the same settings. 99.9% probability it would fail within 5 passes of memtest #5. So what I did was, set it to auto and re-tweak the skew settings under advance mem config and now i'm cruising with 1t timings. With 1t timings, the gain can be seen in eversest, winrar, aquamark, 3dmark01. So that's more concrete than setting pipeline drq to enable imo. I never seen any boost from that setting anyway, But it was fairly raved about using sandra that I enabled it in the beginning. Also the skew tweaks under adv mem config works as they should after pipeline drq is set to auto.

Regards,
Jon

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Originally posted by: JonW
Originally posted by: Mr Vain

Great guide with flashing bios and mac address. The key is F11 :p The mb has trouble booting dos if I choose usb/floppy to boot first. That took me forever to figure it out lol. Btw, Mr Vain here's the utility you need to create a usb flash drive. HP USB Utility Just unzip the mac tools/bios to your usb flash drive and your set :D .

What I notice last night when tweaking the ram timings etc.. When Pipeline DRQ set to enabled there's no way in hell to pass memtest #5. The results are pretty random by nature, So the first run will pass, exit memtest and re-test the same settings. 99.9% probability it would fail within 5 passes of memtest #5. So what I did was, set it to auto and re-tweak the skew settings under advance mem config and now i'm cruising with 1t timings. With 1t timings, the gain can be seen in eversest, winrar, aquamark, 3dmark01. So that's more concrete than setting pipeline drq to enable imo. I never seen any boost from that setting anyway, But it was fairly raved about using sandra that I enabled it in the beginning. Also the skew tweaks under adv mem config works as they should after pipeline drq is set to auto.

Regards,
Jon

Thanks for the USB flash utility excellent.

Hey JonW you are doing an great job with this motherboard keep it up.

Below are my bios settings, can you paste the Bios settings that you are using to my template so we all can learn from your efforts.

Modded BIOS L2.01

CPU Configuration

CPU Host Frequency [Manual]
Actual Frequency (MHz) [305]
PCIE Clock [Auto]
AGP/PCI Clock [Auto]
Spread Spectrum [Auto]
Boot Failure Guard [Enabled]
Ratio Actual Value 10
Ratio CMOS Setting [10]
Max CPUID Value Limit [Disabled]
No-Execute Memory Protection [Disabled]

Chipset Configuration

DRAM Frequency [266MHz (DDRII533) ]
Flexibility Option [Disabled]
DRAM CAS# Latency [3]
DRAM Bank Interleave [Auto]
Precharge to Active (Trp) [3]
Active to Precharge (Tras) [9]
Active to CMD (Trcd) [3]
REF to ACT/REF to REF (Trfc) [Auto]
ACT (0) to ACT (1) (Trrd) [Auto]
Read to Precharge (Trtp) [Auto]
Write to Read CMD (Twtr) [Auto]
Write Recovery Time (Twr) [Auto]
DRAM Bus Selection [Dual Channel]
DRAM Command Rate [2T Command]

? Advanced Memory Configuration [Untouched]

DRAM Drv DQS [Auto]
DRAM Drv CS [Auto]
DRAM Drv DCLKA,B [Auto]
DCLK Output Duty Ctrl [Auto]

CLKBUF BUFIN_A Skew [Auto]
CLKBUF FAOUT Skew [Auto]
CLKBUF BUFIN_B Skew [Auto]
CLKBUF FBOUT Skew [Auto]

? Advanced Host Configuration

Pipeline DRQCTL [Enabled]
GTL Control [Auto]

DRAM Voltage [Auto]
AGP Voltage [Auto]

Primary Graphics Adaptor [AGP]
AGP Mode [8x]
AGP Fast Write [Enabled]
AGP Aperture Size [256MB]
AGP Staggered Delay [Auto]
AGP GADSTB Output Delay [Auto]
AGP 3.0 Calibration [Auto]
AGP 3.0 DBI Function [Auto]
DBI Output for AGP Trans. [Auto]
DBI Output for FRAME Trans. [Auto]

V-Link Speed [Fast]
V-Link Auto-Disconnect [Enabled]

PCI Delay Transaction [Enabled]
IDE Drive Strength [Normal]
PCIE Downstream Pipeline [Auto]
OnBoard LAN [Enabled]
OnBoard HD Audio [Enabled]
Front Panel [Enabled]
CD-In [Enabled]
Bus No. [Enabled]
Echo TPR Disable [Auto]

:)

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
Anybody get random blue screens with this board when the memory is set to anything other than a 1:1 ratio? I have a e6420(stock clocked) and I have two sticks of PC6400 and they passed memtest and goldmem multiple times. My PSU is fine as are my temps. I get a occasional blue screen once in a blue moon with this board. I had my memory set to 333mhz which is a 4:5 ratio if I recall correctly. I set it to 266 so it's 1:1 now. I'll have to wait and see, the blue screens are random and spaced wide apart so it makes it tough to diagnose.

Thanks.

Edit: Weird I have standard Crucial PC6400 Cas6 ram. I noticed when you set this board to a 4:5 ratio(333mhz) CPUZ reads the CAS @ 4, should be 5. Timings are off when using PC6400 in this board. At 1:1 it reads the CAS @ 4 which is normal for this ram. Hopefully this was the issue.

doubleOseven

Jun 23, 2008
Anybody get random blue screens with this board when the memory is set to anything other than a 1:1 ratio? I have a e6420(stock clocked) and I have two sticks of PC6400 and they passed memtest and goldmem multiple times. My PSU is fine as are my temps. I get a occasional blue screen once in a blue moon with this board. I had my memory set to 333mhz which is a 4:5 ratio if I recall correctly. I set it to 266 so it's 1:1 now. I'll have to wait and see, the blue screens are random and spaced wide apart so it makes it tough to diagnose.

Thanks.

Edit: Weird I have standard Crucial PC6400 Cas6 ram. I noticed when you set this board to a 4:5 ratio(333mhz) CPUZ reads the CAS @ 4, should be 5. Timings are off when using PC6400 in this board. At 1:1 it reads the CAS @ 4 which is normal for this ram. Hopefully this was the issue.

Hmmmm... just a thought -- Jon W (up above in the thread) found that by having in the bios Pipeline DRQCTL set to Enabled, it caused him random memory errors... (test #5 in Memtest86+). If you have it enabled, perhaps turn it off, and see if that helps matters?! Let us know....