Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 + ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA + ASRock 775Dual-VSTA

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ToddK1971

Dec 22, 2014
Mr Vain, my guess is that your Radeon HD 6870 is a PCI-E version 2.0 card rather than a 2.1, based upon what masterofunivers suggested about those 2.1 cards. The same logic would probably apply to whether a Radeon HD 6950 or HD 6970 would work or not. If it is a PCI-E 2.0 version card , it at least has a better chance compared to a slim to no chance with a PCI-E 2.1 version card.

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
Mr Vain, my guess is that your Radeon HD 6870 is a PCI-E version 2.0 card rather than a 2.1, based upon what masterofunivers suggested about those 2.1 cards. The same logic would probably apply to whether a Radeon HD 6950 or HD 6970 would work or not. If it is a PCI-E 2.0 version card , it at least has a better chance compared to a slim to no chance with a PCI-E 2.1 version card.

The 6870 is a PCIE 2.1 card and that works on my 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 board.
I'm not sure if masterofunivers is running the last bios update from PC Treiber, that may have provided support for PCIE 2.1?

http://pctreiber.net/asrock-bios-downloads

Last edited:

ToddK1971

Dec 22, 2014
Mr Vain, I did have an HD 5850 that was a PCI-E 2.1 card and it ran just fine, but I too am running the PCtreiber 2.20A BIOS. Maybe it is specific 2.1 cards that don't play nice, namely the 7 series Radeon and above.

masterofunivers

Aug 24, 2015
I have the original 4CoreDual-SATA2 and with BIOS 2.20A....not the R2.0.
Maybe they have improved something in R2.0.

In the mean time i have "downgraded" from my 570 to a 560Ti:
http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=1844
Its shorter (can use my first IDE-Port again), cooler and quieter
and enough for my retro games (DOS/Win98SE/XP). :thumbsup:

In addition i put a Geforce 6600 AGP for Win98-games in it:
http://www.gigabyte.de/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1246#ov
But maybe i go back to my good old Geforce4 Ti4200 because some games show in Win98 graphic glitches i didnt see with the Geforce4.

Of course i have also a Voodoo2 for the Glide-games in it:
http://www.amoretro.de/2012/03/gainward-dragon-3000-3dfx-voodoo2-12mb-pci.html
My Voodoo5 serves in another PC with a Pentium III/1,4GHz. :D

I also "downgraded" yesterday from a Q6700 to a E7600.
Its cooler and faster than the Q6700 in games.....quadpower i dont need (anymore) in this PC.

@Mr. Vain
Which manufacturer is your 6870 ?

masterofunivers

Aug 24, 2015
@ToddK1971:

Why an ATI 68xx or 69xx ?
If you want to play some actual games and/or running older games than a Geforce 560/570 is a better choice...especially now with DSR-support.

I have had also a ATI 5850/2GB running on that board, but it has had problems with early XP-games.

I love that board....i can run every known x86-operating system with endless combination of hardware.
But i was not always a VIA-fan....there were dark times with VIA Apollo Pro-boards.....:rolleyes:

slashandburn

Aug 28, 2015
I've literally just dismantled our old 939-DualSata2 system. Been running under the stairs as a file server for years.

Mr Vain

May 15, 2006
I have the original 4CoreDual-SATA2 and with BIOS 2.20A....not the R2.0.
Maybe they have improved something in R2.0.

In the mean time i have "downgraded" from my 570 to a 560Ti:
http://www.palit.biz/palit/vgapro.php?id=1844
Its shorter (can use my first IDE-Port again), cooler and quieter
and enough for my retro games (DOS/Win98SE/XP). :thumbsup:

In addition i put a Geforce 6600 AGP for Win98-games in it:
http://www.gigabyte.de/products/product-page.aspx?pid=1246#ov
But maybe i go back to my good old Geforce4 Ti4200 because some games show in Win98 graphic glitches i didnt see with the Geforce4.

Of course i have also a Voodoo2 for the Glide-games in it:
http://www.amoretro.de/2012/03/gainward-dragon-3000-3dfx-voodoo2-12mb-pci.html
My Voodoo5 serves in another PC with a Pentium III/1,4GHz. :D

I also "downgraded" yesterday from a Q6700 to a E7600.
Its cooler and faster than the Q6700 in games.....quadpower i dont need (anymore) in this PC.

@Mr. Vain
Which manufacturer is your 6870 ?

Its a Shapphire 1 GB memory card.

ToddK1971

Dec 22, 2014
All, I just installed a Powercolor dual fan 1GB variant of the Radeon HD 6950 and it is running fine on my Asrock 4coredual-sata2 r2.0 with the 2.20A BIOS, an Intel E5700 Pentium Dual Core overclocked to 3.6Ghz, 2x2GB Patriot DDR2-800 5,5,5,15 running at DDR2-640 4,4,4,12, Creative Sound Blaster Live PCI sound card, a Seagate 1TB 7200RPM HD, and a Viewsonic P225F with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I picked this up at Newegg for $70.00, with a $20 rebate and an instant $10 Newegg card. I have a Rosewill 530W single rail 12V 41amp PS. There should be no issue as far as power is concerned. Unfortunately, I had to give up my IDE ports on the motherboard for my DVD-ROM/Writer drive due to the 10.83" length of this card. It is absolutely huge. I almost never use a ROM drive anyway. Just an FYI.

Update, I was able to connect a PATA DVD/RW drive with a standard ribbon cable to the motherboard with no clearance issues with the card. I was using one of those SATA/PATA-IDE adapters plugged into the motherboard and a SATA DVD/RW drive. It was way too tall to fit under the card. The ribbon cable just fits.

I also was able to swap out the 1GB card with a Sapphire 2GB HD 6950. It powers down to 250 core 150 memory and runs much cooler than the Powercolor product that stays at 450 core and 1250 memory (I believe) for some reason. There is a 12 degree difference delta between these cards because of this. The Sapphire card is idling at 32C with 30% fan, whereas the Powercolor is idling at 44C at 30% fan. I will fiddle more with the Powercolor card to see if I can get it cooler. I am using MSI Afterburner for both cards with a custom fan setup.

Last edited:

maxepilog

Feb 15, 2016
Greetings. I recently revived my old trusty ASROCK 775Dual VSTA, and after reading a lot of valuable info found here (thanks a million!), I currently use it as the base for a media player build. It's a 3.19a flashed 775Dual VSTA with 4Gb DDR2 (3GB usable) and an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500, Nvidia 210 PCIe. For three weeks, seems to work fine with Windows 10 64. One minor annoyance is the cpu fan working at full speed all the time. The cpu cooler is a 4pin (controlled by PWM) Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 V.2 for quiet operation. A quick fix is running SpeedFan 4.51 app at 40-50%. But the cpu fan - when exiting from sleep mode - works at 100% again and I have to rerun SpeedFan to keep the cpu fan revs low and quiet. Any recommendations on BIOS settings for cpu fan quiet operation, would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Well if the BIOS Smart Fan controls are not working, seems the only thing to do is to get a fan controller.

sum~guy

Feb 26, 2016
Hi there. I've never posted in this thread before, and I see there's a lot to read, but I was wondering if I could get a quick answer as to what my bios choices are for the 4coredual-VSTA motherboard. I bought 6 of these boards back about 8 years ago and have only played around with one of them about 5 years ago. I'm working on obtaining some CPU's through ebay and need to know just what these boards are capable of, and that's going to be a function of the BIOS. Most of my boards are Rev 1.00 but one is Rev 1.02 (anyone know how many rev's there were for this board?).

I came across a link (soggi.eu) to a 2.30 and 2.39a bios and was wondering how stable or recommended those are. I see that they allow wolfdale on this board (which is not possible with bios from Asrock - yes?) and the use of up to 4 gb ram.

ToddK1971

Dec 22, 2014
sum~guy,

You can download a bootable BIOS file from the URL below.

http://pctreiber.net/asrock-bios-downloads?did=152

Here is the Asrock CPU compatibility page.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/VIA/4CoreDual-VSTA/?cat=CPU

This is the latest modded/beta BIOS that allows 2x2GB (4GB) of memory and LGA 775 Wolfdale processors. Whatever processor you use. It will need to be a (266x4) 1066 FSB at the most. You might be able to use (333x4) 1333 FSB processors, but they will run at 1066 initially, and you might be able to overclock the FSB to regain some of that lost speed. I would not recommend this though. Stick with either the 800 or 1066 FSB processors.

Last edited:

sum~guy

Feb 26, 2016
How do the pctreiber.net bios's compare to (or, what is the difference between the pctreiber bios and) the bios's available on this page:

http://soggi.eu/mbs/asrock/4CoreDual-VSTA.htm#bios

?

Also, is there a list of know hardware board revisions for the -VSTA board? As I said in my previous post, I have rev 1.00 and 1.02 versions of this board, and I'm mildly curious as to what the difference is between them, as well as how many different versions were made.

> Here is the Asrock CPU compatibility page.

But that list becomes somewhat useless once you have installed a modified (third-party) bios - yes?

maxepilog

Feb 15, 2016
Anyone please tell where are the BIOS Smart Fan controls?
I searched in Advanced, experimented with enhanced state, cpu throttle, Intel speedspep and H/W Monitor, cpu quiet fan in various combinations (enabled/disabled) phew - no luck. The cpu fan keeps revving at max 2200 rpms.
While BIOS booting cpu fan revvs at max, then during windows 10 64 loading revs at much lower speed (1500? rpms - almost inaudible) and when windows 10 shows desktop at max rpms again!

ToddK1971

Dec 22, 2014
sum~guy

I am not sure of the differences. They appear to show the same kinds of changes. I see that the dates are not the same. That may be because of one being just the .rom file and one being as .iso containing the .rom file and the flash utility.

I am not aware of or able to find a list of revisions for this board either.

The CPU compatibility list doesn't become useless. All of the processors on the list still apply. The new BIOS just allowed for new CPU microcode to be added for LGA 775 Wolfdale processors with the 800 FSB (200x4) and 1066 FSB (266x4).

http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/24736/Wolfdale#@Desktop

The ones with the 1333 FSB (333x4) on the page above are not recommended. Again, they might work, but not at the rated speed because this board is not compatible with that FSB unless severely modded and overclocked.

bandai1983

Oct 27, 2014
4CoreDX90-VSTA
Also PT880 Ultra

How come this board never got a bios mod?
It is a micro atx form factor and it'd be cool to have m-atx pt-880 board with an overclocked xeon.
I read someone say it was single channel memory, if that has anything to do with it not having a bios mod.

Last edited:

ToddK1971

Dec 22, 2014
bandai1983,

This board seems to be only single channel and a maximum of 2GB of 184-pin DDR400 memory from what I can find on the internet. I am not sure why a mod for the BIOS was not created, but that would not change the fact that it is single channel, but it might allow you to use 4GB of memory like the 4COREDUAL-SATA2 BIOS mod that allowed this. If you go over to http://forums.ocworkbench.com/showthread.php?t=56196&page=7 you might be able to start your own thread to ask this question or over at http://pctreiber.net/asrock-bios-downloads to see if someone would be willing to do this for you.

bandai1983

Oct 27, 2014
Thanks. I guess I'll get the same answer with the 775-Dual880pro. I must request a modded bios if I want it.
It probably doesn't have win 98 drivers though. Shame. 98 is one of the biggest reasons for this mod.

It's a shame the boards are so rare and expensive now.
It makes replacing hard.
That's why a similar replacement is needed imo.

Ok, I have had some flakiness recently with my board after upgrading my fan to a [Sunon Waturbo] with metal backplate, don't know if it was a grounding problem or a recent overclock problem from the core 2 duo but sometimes my agp card causes it not to post. I've had to reseat my cpu most of the the time before I could post.

But I have managed to run an X5450 on the board.
I want to try the E5472 as it runs with less wattage therefore less heat.
I have a revision "a" board with Corsair XMS 800mhz ddrII.
I flashed the Bios a 2 years ago but only recently attempted the mod, the "pin mod" and the "Notch mod."
I also confirm my multiplier was unlocked, I could go above 9 if I turned off speedstep, but of course 9 was max.

I am annoyed the Waturbo only has 3 pins and cannot use pwwm.
I couldn't get the 4 pin fan to spin slower either before it.
I bought a 4 pin fan controller from china but it was poorly made.
had to plug it in halfway as all the way in did not work.
Also, I could not undervolt the fan, as it still ran at the full 12 volts...
I also noticed that both hd and regular onboard audio now has drivers for windows 8.1
I used to need an audio card for it.
In which case I used an SB Audigy2 on 8.1. Since people have been making driver packages for this excellent legacy audio card, I can basically use the card on any os now. Including my hackintosh.

It's too bad I can't overclock it to a decent speed to run Windows 9x blazing fast.
I have a pentium 4 3.8ghz which runs on this, so i know the socket is capable of higher clock speeds at stock
no matter the cpu. It's a shame I can't even get the Quad to run at stock speeds.
I believe I can run faster harpertown cpus because they would automatically be underclocked, I know the speed increase is negligible but I still wanna try it just because.
But at least underclocked I know the system is not being stressed out.
Running kernelex to run modern applications. Works wonderfully.

One thing I've noticed is the pins on the 771's Vs the 775's have the pins in completely different placement due to where the notches are. No wonder they need new microcodes.

I'm playing ygopro and it runs just as slowly as the 2.4ghz dual core. I don't get it, there is no performance increase.

IMAG0309_BURST001_zpscxje5ead.jpg

IMAG0311_zpscydpvqd3.jpg

Last edited:

ToddK1971

Dec 22, 2014
bandai1983,

Congratulations on getting that Xeon X5450 to run in your 4coredual-sata2. The maximum official FSB on this board is 1066Mghz (266x4). It makes sense that it is running at about 2.4Ghz. Unless something is software coded to take advantage of 4 cores, you will not see a difference from a dual core. The cpu microcodes that are missing could be slowing it down as well because some instructions are not being utilized. I am not sure if you can further modify the already modded 2.20A AMI BIOS to include the latest microcodes for the X5450 and E5472 you want to try on this board. I would not recommend the E5472 because it has a 1600Mghz (400x4) FSB. It will only run a 2.0Ghz due to the 7.5 multiplier. You might be able to overclock it a little, but the really sweet spot for this board is a 800Mghz (200x4) FSB overclock. I have an E5700 on that board easily running at 3.6Ghz with a 960Mghz (240x4) FSB.

You could try the link below to see if it makes any difference.

http://www.delidded.com/how-to-update-cpu-microcode-in-ami-bios/

Keep in mind this might brick your board and you will have to get a new chip off of ebay or somewhere else to get it up and running again.