Ask a Middle East "Expert" Anything About the Middle East.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Tinkerhell
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Originally posted by: bradruth
Palestinians like to strap bombs to themselves and go onto school buses and kill innocent children. :|

You think they like to? Sure their methods are immoral, but you can't say that their cause is completely unjust. The Palestinians have no military, so they wouldn't stand a chance trying to fight the Israelis straight up.

Apparently, they like to. They're doing it, aren't they? They're proud to do it. It takes a sick person to commit suicide bombing, I don't care what anyone thinks.

Then I'm surprised you've ever learned anything in life.

Do you have family that lives over there?? STFU

My family doesn't oppress another ethnic group because their homes were once on land that we took.

Tinkerhell

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2003
Palestinians like to strap bombs to themselves and go onto school buses and kill innocent children. :|

You think they like to? Sure their methods are immoral, but you can't say that their cause is completely unjust. The Palestinians have no military, so they wouldn't stand a chance trying to fight the Israelis straight up.

Apparently, they like to. They're doing it, aren't they? They're proud to do it. It takes a sick person to commit suicide bombing, I don't care what anyone thinks.

So everything you do is done because you like doing it? Some things need to be done, and they're not enjoyable. I'm not saying suicide bombings need to be done, but I do feel that the Palestinians should have statehood and that Israel should stop being so oppressive before they have the entire middle east after them.

Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Sure their methods are immoral, but you can't say that their cause is completely unjust.

??

so if ur bigger then me, i should beat up your kid behind your back?

Of course not. I said that their methods are immoral, but they do have a legit cause. They're oppressed based on racial/ethnic background and Israel won't budge. You can't expect the Palestinians to just lie back & take it.

They stole the land of the Jewish people, and they should go back from where they came from. All that land is holy land for the Jews, and the Palestines, for one reason or another, think they have some claim to it. They teach their children to be proud to become a suicide-bomber. I've read interviews with Palenstine children who say they hope to live to a certain age (I cant remember the exact age) so they can strap a bomb to themselves to kill some Jewish people.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

So everything you do is done because you like doing it? Some things need to be done, and they're not enjoyable. I'm not saying suicide bombings need to be done, but I do feel that the Palestinians should have statehood and that Israel should stop being so oppressive before they have the entire middle east after them.

Sure their methods are immoral, but you can't say that their cause is completely unjust.

??

Of course not. I said that their methods are immoral, but they do have a legit cause. They're oppressed based on racial/ethnic background and Israel won't budge. You can't expect the Palestinians to just lie back & take it.

it still is unjust to use an immoral method.
plus, its not that simple to begin with. they have a great deal of responsibility for the position which they are in today.

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
In the movie, 'Iron Eagle'. what was the name of the middle eastern bad guy who the punk-kid in the f16 shoots down at the end... I'm only asking because i just watched the movie again for the first time in over ten years, and I remembered. the entire dialog... lol (He say's something like, 'This is Colonel <insert name here>, you will deal directly with me now' in a bogus middle eastern accent)

So, it's Colonel ..... what?
If you can answer that without googling.. you are truly a middle eastern expert in my eyes !

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
They stole the land of the Jewish people, and they should go back from where they came from. All that land is holy land for the Jews, and the Palestines, for one reason or another, think they have some claim to it. They teach their children to be proud to become a suicide-bomber. I've read interviews with Palenstine children who say they hope to live to a certain age (I cant remember the exact age) so they can strap a bomb to themselves to kill some Jewish people.

Oppression cannot be allowed in ANY part of the world. If you had any capacity to put yourself in someone else's position you'd see that you'd be saying the same thing if you were being oppressed. Just because you have things fine, doesn't mean everyone else does.

plus, its not that simple to begin with. they have a great deal of responsibility for the position which they are in today.

Everyone concerned has some responsibility for where they are today, but if you seperate their cause from their methods you'll see that the intent isn't unjust. I agree that bombing civilians is terrible, but how can they fight?

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003

Oppression cannot be allowed in ANY part of the world. If you had any capacity to put yourself in someone else's position you'd see that you'd be saying the same thing if you were being oppressed. Just because you have things fine, doesn't mean everyone else does.

Everyone concerned has some responsibility for where they are today, but if you seperate their cause from their methods you'll see that the intent isn't unjust. I agree that bombing civilians is terrible, but how can they fight?

So what is that just cause?

ajpa123

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2003
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
chappy?

chappy is Lou Gossett jr, the bald headed brother that accompanied the kid in another f16.. he was a good guy.

I'm talkin about the bad guy who sounded like count chocula on crack !

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: ajpa123
chappy?

chappy is Lou Gossett jr, the bald headed brother that accompanied the kid in another f16.. he was a good guy.

I'm talkin about the bad guy who sounded like count chocula on crack !

The podunk gazzette never talked about that movie, so I am sorry. Another question please.

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
So what is that just cause?

To end the systematic oppression of their people. Whether that means gaining statehood or peacefully coexisting with Israelis (which doesn't look too likely) remains to be seen.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: kermalou
tommy, what is with those headscarves that the women wear?

Serious answer:

It's a choice among women if they want to wear it or not. However, if they do choose to wear it, its a commitment as they always have to wear it in public.

But if they don't want to wear it, its fine (altho they do wear it during prayer).

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: mAdD INDIAN

Serious answer:

It's a choice among women if they want to wear it or not. However, if they do choose to wear it, its a commitment as they always have to wear it in public.

But if they don't want to wear it, its fine (altho they do wear it during prayer).
Not covering your hair as an adult female in front of male company is seen in some Islamic societies as sort of flaunting one's sexuality/femininity. AFAIK, the Koran only actually asks for a woman's hair to be covered during prayer.

You know how a society obsessed with religion is, though...everyone wants to one-up each other on how holy and perfect they are...

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
They stole the land of the Jewish people, and they should go back from where they came from. All that land is holy land for the Jews, and the Palestines, for one reason or another, think they have some claim to it.

Er... You do know modern state of Israel was carved up by the Western powers (primarily Britain, who has now seemingly washed their hands of it), to give a "land" for Jewish people, mainly out of sympathy form what happened in WWII.

If you want to reach back to historical claims of the Israeli Empire... well we can reach back historically to the British Empire in North America... So should Britain claim USA land? Or should Mexico claim Southwest USA? Or how about the Native Indians? How far back historically shall we go?

This conflict is long-standing and extremely ugly. Arab Palestinians and the Israeli Jewish have been fighting for ages over territorial rights in this area.

dababus

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2000
you think by watching CNN and reading Time magazine has turned you in some sort of expert in Middle Eastern affairs. Well, honestly, tell me something about Israeli Prime Minister Menahem Begin.

His activities before the birth of Israel and we go from there.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: dababus
you think by watching CNN and reading Time magazine has turned you in some sort of expert in Middle Eastern affairs. Well, honestly, tell me something about Israeli Prime Minister Menahem Begin.

His activities before the birth of Israel and we go from there.

He was part of an organization that periodically attacked Arabs, and many of the orgranizations members were hanged, one of them for attaching a bus. At one time, the British govt had a reward out for his arrest.

By the way, congrats, you got the joke and sarcasm at people who really think like that.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: yllus

Serious answer:

Not covering your hair as an adult female in front of male company is seen in some Islamic societies as sort of flaunting one's sexuality/femininity. AFAIK, the Koran only actually asks for a woman's hair to be covered during prayer.

You know how a society obsessed with religion is, though...everyone wants to one-up each other on how holy and perfect they are...

True. But depending on how deep the family practices the religion, the girls may or not may not wear the hijab. I know, cause I asked a few muslim female friends of mine, some who wore it and some who didn't..and they said it was their choice.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

Serious answer:

True. But depending on how deep the family practices the religion, the girls may or not may not wear the hijab. I know, cause I asked a few muslim female friends of mine, some who wore it and some who didn't..and they said it was their choice.
Oh...I didn't mean in Canada/the U.S. Wearing it over here in Toronto is a lot different than 'choosing' to wear it in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq or Pakistan. Nobody ever said anything, but my sister didn't really have a choice whether to wear one the last time we went over to visit.

NL5

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2003

??

Aren't ALL Jews required to join the military at age 18? How is that different than the suicide bombers signing up at a certain age? Israeli's blow up civilians with Helicopter gunships, which is so much more just than suicide bombers, right?

Both sides are about as F'd up as you can be. Ain't religeon great!

Jfrag Teh Foul

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Originally posted by: radioactiveballpoint

Yeah, unfortunately the Palestinians have nothing left to lose and thus the desperate tactics.

How about just becoming a fvcking nation and build the military from there then?

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003

Serious answer:

Oh...I didn't mean in Canada/the U.S. Wearing it over here in Toronto is a lot different than 'choosing' to wear it in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq or Pakistan. Nobody ever said anything, but my sister didn't really have a choice whether to wear one the last time we went over to visit.

You are misinformed. Women aren't required to cover their head in Pakistan.

kermalou

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2001

i wouldn't mind destroying all the other countries in the middle east, remember the six day war????

no country in a match in the middle east for israel.

DigDug

Mar 21, 2002

Which makes their "choice" to do so, all the more telling of a religion that infuses a powerful gender inequity right into the fabric of society. The fact that women voluntarily self-subjugate is proof of Islam's hegemonic control.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Originally posted by: BlipBlop

Which makes their "choice" to do so, all the more telling of a religion that infuses a powerful gender inequity right into the fabric of society. The fact that women voluntarily self-subjugate is proof of Islam's hegemonic control.

Ok out of my thread.

AdamDuritz99

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2000
Howdy Folks, Tommy here, you local Middle Eastern expert. After years of reading the newspaper, Time magazine and watching copious amounts of CNN, I can safely say that I am an expert on the Middle East. I have never been there, I like to think that I have a world perspective on things, and after visiting Mexico on a cruise ship, it has become even more attuned. So why don't you go ahead, and ask the expert all your questions about the Middle East

when did you go? What ship?