Asian or Oriental?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
because somebody has to....

Oriental refers to some type of property - an oriental rug, the orient express, whatever

You use Asian when you refer to a person from Asia (duh what the fvck)

Some people find being called oriental offensive; I'll correct somebody for saying it, but I don't find it offensive.

You're a fool.

If they find being called Oriental offensive, they need to stop being whiners. The dictionary definition of oriental fits just fine. Don't like it? Good luck getting 4 of the 5 definitions revised to specifically exclude humans.

Asia is a big freaking place. Stop lumping people into one category. It'd be like calling everyone who claims Irish/English/Spanish/German/Whatever Heritage just "European". In fact, while we are at it, we'll just refer to everyone by their ancestor's contienent. So, excluding Antartica, there are only 6 types of people in the world from here forth. To call people in Ukraine no different than people from Iraq or the Phillipines is an insult to the entire freaking contienent, much more than people from one corner of it being called Oriental. If a person is fine being called just "Asian"... good... that's fine, but don't tell people they can't or shouldn't call someone Oriental, because by definition, they are.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Ronstang
Just remember. When I was a kid the term Oriental was never considered to be disrespectful or negative in any way but merely descriptive. If I use that term I mean no malice yet I try to use Asian now.

Personally, I think it's stupid that we don't still use the word oriental to describe people. It's not a racial slur or anything, it's just not used because it is Euro-centric. We still use oriental to describe food, rugs, anything else coming from that area. Screw it. Oriental is more specific than Asian. Asian is ambiguous. If oriental bothers people, they can get over it.

An Oriental myself, I agree with you.

Oriental equates to East and Southeast Asian or just East Asian. It's way more descriptive than Asian...

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Mo0o
Asian is the PC term now a days. Something about Oriental refering to a direction and Asian refering to a location. They're really semantic differences but the connotations are there nontheless

Nope. The connotations are a creation of the US political correctness machine.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused
Naw. See, you lose because you couldn't keep the theme.
That would be Caucasian Cracker.
Try harder next time.
Dammit, quit making everyone in the lab stare at me :| :p

DayLaPaul

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Oriental is to negro as Asian is to Black. It's just an archaic word stemming from a time of intolerance. Although the word itself is inoffensive, just like negro, it just comes from a backwater, more racist era.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: DayLaPaul
Oriental is to negro as Asian is to Black. It's just an archaic word stemming from a time of intolerance. Although the word itself is inoffensive, just like negro, it just comes from a backwater, more racist era.

You messed that one up.

You mean "Oriental is to Asian as negro is to black"

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
I prefer "Chinaman" imagine Robrt Duvall in a western, "That Chinaman over there can help us round up the cattle"

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

You messed that one up.

NO! He means oriental has a negative connotation just like the word Negro.

Would you call a black man a Negro? Not unless you want to die.

"Excuse me, my Negro, but where is the bus to Funky Town?"

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: bennylong

You messed that one up.

91TTZ said it correctly. I take it you didn't do too well on the old SATs ;/

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: TecHNooB
Originally posted by: bennylong

You messed that one up.

91TTZ said it correctly. I take it you didn't do too well on the old SATs ;/

Of course not. I'm black! The SAT is a tool by da man to keep us young brutha down!

AnthroAndStargate

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2005
I would NOT use the term Oriental if I was you - ever - for a person that is.

There are oriental rugs, oriental furniture, but saying someone is oriental is semantically basically saying 'other'.

Plus it sounds like the person is a throwback from the 40s or something.

MasonLuke

Aug 14, 2006
i think we went over this before, but i'll sum it up for you.

If you are average to highly intelligent, you would use the word Asian to describe a person. If you are dumb and ignorant, you would use oriental to describe a person, not only because you can, but because you are uneducated.

Asian = person. Example: He is Asian.
Oriental = thing. Example: Oriental rug.

/tread

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: randay
How about an "Asian Oriental" or an "Oriental Asian?"

Kinda like a "Gay Homosexual."

"white trash" ?

Naw. See, you lose because you couldn't keep the theme.

That would be Caucasian Cracker.

Try harder next time.

yea randay, you were almost there but didnt quite make it.

you shoulda gone with "republican white trash"

note that the split is now done with one word relating with two. but we'll cover this in class next week, since it's a bit complicated.

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004
Oh and on a more related comment, I find that oriental seperates the yellow from brown; indian or oriental. that's how ive figured it to be atleast

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: MasonLuke

If you are average to highly intelligent, you would use the word Asian to describe a person. If you are dumb and ignorant, you would use oriental to describe a person, not only because you can, but because you are uneducated.

/tread

Oriental was historically used to describe the people along with the products that originated from the Orient. It also carries with it a negative connotation much like what was earlier mentioned in this thread regarding the word Negro. Asian in general refers to the same grouping as Oriental much like American mainly refers to those from the US and not those from Mexico, South America, and Canada. Asian is pretty much just Oriental without the connotations due to the historical use of the word.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: MasonLuke

/tread

It has not always been that way. There is nothing inherent in the word oriental that dictates that it can only be used to describe objects. It is only taboo because thin-skinned people get their panties in a wad over a term that implies that Europe is the center of the world. Do you get upset over the lines of latitude as well? :roll:

FWIW, I'm an American and don't get offended by the term "western." Middle easterners get offended by that term. I don't know why southeast asians make such a big deal out of being called oriental.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: glutenberg

Oriental was historically used to describe the people along with the products that originated from the Orient. It also carries with it a negative connotation much like what was earlier mentioned in this thread regarding the word Negro. Asian in general refers to the same grouping as Oriental much like American mainly refers to those from the US and not those from Mexico, South America, and Canada. Asian is pretty much just Oriental without the connotations due to the historical use of the word.

See that's the problem - that's not really true. Obviously I'm not going to call a Russian or a middle eastern person Asian, but what about people who live in and near India? I usually use Asian to refer to them if I don't know exactly where they're from, because I don't want to look ignorant for calling someone Indian when they're from Bangladesh.