Articles on Sequester 2013 cuts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
tumblr_mbxynmsQ7Z1rfu3joo1_400.jpg

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
fear mongering, nothing will happen.

if going from a 6% increase in spending to a 4% increase in spending causing the country to collapse, we are beyond fucked anyway.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
We're all going to die and they won't even be able to bury us!

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Stop paying any cable/internet/wireless bills and sell your computer and you'll be able to afford some beef, and not post stupid threads, it's a win/win that will benefit everyone.

I'll bet the cost of his website is enough for him to afford beef.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Frickin Nazis. Always terrorizing the populations through budgets. The solution is simple: start by firing the head of the USDA, and move right on down the hierarchy until the budget is met.

So much this that it's not even funny anymore. The mere fact that we have people literally scared of this tiny reduction (I refuse to call it a cut) in increased federal spending, should provide you enough evidence that we are in deep trouble.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
This is a pretty common practice for any group in power that when budgets must be cut or when new taxes are in the offering they make ridiculous claims about what they're going to have to cut and it's always something that's going to have the biggest negative impact on their citizens. It's just a form of legislative blackmail trying to force citizens to toe the line and do as they're told.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
You know OP... food inspections were fine in 2011.... by cutting the budget by $85 billion, the feds are operating at the same level as in 2011. Where was the apocalypse then?

Huh? What says you?

chirp chirp

Uh...not really. I can't speak to the USDA but the FDA has been unable to meet its congressional required food inspection timelines with their congressionally approved budget for years now

Nov 30, 2006
Not afraid at all.

I already can't afford beef.

I'll be happy when more of you join me and can't afford it when the prices jump like crazy due to this. :D
Dave, I wish you could afford beef as I understand that some types of vitamin deficiencies can do horrible things to one's mental faculties. :biggrin:

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Uh...not really. I can't speak to the USDA but the FDA has been unable to meet its congressional required food inspection timelines with their congressionally approved budget for years now

I notice you did not qualify as to whether the congressional required food inspection timelines in your opinion was created based on the needs of business or based on the needs of securing federal funding.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
2-28-2013

http://news.yahoo.com/illinoisans-brace-federal-cuts-furloughs-162218410.html

Illinoisans brace for federal cuts, furloughs

Federal budget cuts could force furloughs, loss of services, court closings in Illinois

MILITARY
One of the hardest hit by the budget cuts could be the Scott Air Force Base, an installation just east of St. Louis that's the region's third-biggest employer with 13,000 employees.

The cuts could mean 4,500 of the site's 5,000 civilian workers must take 22 days of unpaid furloughs through the end of the fiscal year, amounting to a 20-percent pay cut, spokeswoman Karen Petitt said.

JUSTICE AND LAW ENFORCEMENT
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois in Chicago is contemplating closing its doors one workday every week, explained Tom Bruton, the court's clerk. If there's no fix for months, it may have to stop holding civil trials.

The cuts also would force around 1,000 employees working out of the FBI's Chicago office to take 14 unpaid furlough days, including agents working current investigations, said office spokeswoman Joan Hyde.

In an email, Hyde said the federal budget cuts "would undoubtedly impact (the Chicago FBI's task forces') valuable work in areas such as terrorism, violent crimes, crimes against children and white collar crimes."

SOCIAL SERVICES
Carol Beaney, 57, a disabled resident from Crescent City, arranges a ride in a van equipped with a lift for her power wheelchair whenever she needs to go to a doctor's appointment. The van is part of the special medical services provided by a nonprofit rural transit service called SHOW BUS, and the nonprofit plans to eliminate special medical services if the budget cuts come to pass.

The service helps Beaney live more independently in her own home. Losing transportation could hasten a move to a nursing home or other institution for people like her.

EDUCATION

Diana Rauner, president of the Ounce of Prevention Fund in Chicago, said her nonprofit is trying to prepare for what the White House says would be the elimination of Head Start and Early Head Start services for about 2,700 Illinois children. The programs help low-income children from birth to age 5 get ready to enter school.

HIGHER EDUCATION

Potentially at stake at the University of Illinois' three campuses is about $42.8 million, $33 million of which finances research over a wide range of subjects, spokesman Tom Hardy said. But the money represents less than 1 percent of the university's $5.4 billion operating budget.

Northern Illinois University could see a loss of about $2.7 million in research funding and $85,000 in financial aid and work-study funding, spokesman

Paul Palian said. Officials at Eastern Illinois University in Charleston say they stand to lose only about $450,000, about 8 percent of the $5.6 million in federal money the school receives, spokeswoman Vicki Woodard said.

NATIONAL PARKS

In Springfield, hours could be curtailed at the Lincoln Home National Historic Site, affecting as many as 117,000 visitors a year at the 42-year-old national park. Last year it drew roughly 300,000.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I get it now.

Create an alarmist media report about how devastating these cuts will be if the entirety of the sequestration cuts fell onto one single government program.

Then repeat this report for every single government program, what will happen when the full brunt of cuts falls on that program, even though none of these reports have any basis in reality...

I am even more anxious for sequestration! BRING IT ON!!!!

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Dave you have to look at this as a Win for Democrats because the Republicans will eat the Fallout from this, ;)

Americans Blame the Republican Leaders 2 to 1.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9511/debt_limit/11-15/poll/poll_txt.html

This is why the Republicans need real leadership. Current GOP leadership does not realize the liberal mind is so easily manipulated by FUD stories from the media. Throw in some payola for the masses.. keep feeding the press... and wham. ... just think of the number of seats they could take in the house and senate.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is why the Republicans need real leadership. Current GOP leadership does not realize the liberal mind is so easily manipulated by FUD stories from the media. Throw in some payola for the masses.. keep feeding the press... and wham. ... just think of the number of seats they could take in the house and senate.

I don't think your Party has a cold chance of hell in being a legitimate Party most likely for the next couple of decades.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
We won't even feel this. The government is cutting $86 billion from a budget that spends $3.7 trillion. And, technically, that is not correct either as the budget is going up this year. So basically they are cutting less than 1 penny on every dollar spent. Big deal...

These are just scare tactics the Dems are using hoping that the GOP will cave and agree to tax hikes like they did when the fiscal cliff was approaching.

Who is "we"? I am a DoD employee - We will all lose 20% of our pay due to furloughs.....

The problem is not the cuts - the problem is that lawmakers cannot agree on what to cut. This screws us all - once the sequester is signed into law, we will not be able to pick and choose areas to find cuts. The sequester cuts everything indiscriminately.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
NATIONAL PARKS

In Springfield, hours could be curtailed at the Lincoln Home National Historic Site, affecting as many as 117,000 visitors a year at the 42-year-old national park. Last year it drew roughly 300,000.

WTF would this happen. Charge $3/visitor. $900,000/year. You telling me they couldn't operate on that kind of budget?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
85 billion in less spending.

Do we cut consultants, travel, and other nonessential stuff? No, of course not. Much wiser to lay off firemen, ground aircraft carriers, shut down meat inspection plants...

:rolleyes:

I don't see how this is as seen as anything but thuggery, frankly. It's a simple tactic to respond to modest cuts by scaring people into thinking that the sky will fall. Worst case scenario for liberals is that the sequester goes through, and...nothing happens.

Last edited:

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
85 billion in less spending.

Do we cut consultants, travel, and other nonessential stuff? No, of course not. Much wiser to lay off firemen, ground aircraft carriers, shut down meat inspection plants...

:rolleyes:

I don't see how this is as seen as anything but thuggery, frankly. It's a simple tactic to respond to modest cuts by scaring people into thinking that the sky will fall. Worst case scenario for liberals is that the sequester goes through, and...nothing happens.

Again - what do you tell those firefighters and teachers who are laid off, and what do you tell all DoD civilian employees when they lose 20% of their pay? For those poeple, this will be very real. This will hurt.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Again - what do you tell those firefighters and teachers who are laid off, and what do you tell all DoD civilian employees when they lose 20% of their pay? For those poeple, this will be very real. This will hurt.

Spare me. I've had it up to here with the appeals to emotion and fear-mongering.

I'll tell them next time to find jobs not as subject to politicians' stupidity.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Bernanke and the Feds are going to buy back 45 Biiiilllllioooon in long term bonds by the end of March. The Sequestration is not stopping him!

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100378555/TREASURIESBond_prices_rise_on_Fed_purchase_Bernanke

On Monday, the Fed bought $1.47 billion in Treasuries with maturities ranging from February 2036 to November 2042, part of its $45 billion monthly purchases of government securities aimed to lower unemployment. The U.S. central bank has also been buying $40 billion in mortgage-backed securities per month since September with the goal of stimulating the housing market, whose recovery has gained traction since late 2012.

This is over 500 Billion a year for stock market welfare.

Last edited:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
3-1-2013

http://dailypostal.com/2013/03/01/blue-angels-canceled-performances-due-to-budget-cuts/

Blue Angels Canceled Performances Due To Budget Cuts

Blue Angels shows scheduled in more than two dozen cities between April and September are expected to be canceled as part of the cuts, said the team’s spokeswoman, Lieutenant Katie Kelly.

Air shows scheduled for May at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base in North Carolina, and for June in Indianapolis, already have been canceled, organizers and U.S. Air Force officials announced in recent weeks.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

So, do tell how you can cut the budget without impacting anyone? :hmm: