Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 135 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I had an RCA Perfect Flat CRT TV. I wish I had the space to keep it for retro games, as it was one of the best CRT TVs made. But sadly I had to give it away as I have a small house.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
It's a JVC AV-32D500 TV. One set of composite inputs, I currently have them teed to the CRT and my 65" plasma just so I can see both at the same time. It's crazy how much better those old systems look on a scan line TV.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
You can now get a dual fan Inno3D 4070 for 609 euros over here (plus free shipping + Diablo), so that's 60 euro below MSRP. In Germany, the 4070 has been 599, although that's without free shipping, so effectively it's almost the same price.

Still, it feels overpriced as well as very risky to buy a 12 GB card now. And the performance is at or below the 3080, where I'd really prefer something a little faster, like at the 3080 Ti/3090 level. So I'm still leaning towards just sitting this gen out or perhaps going for a cheap placeholder card if the 7600 gets very cheap (or we get a clamshell 7600 XT 16 GB).

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Been cruising the used market for a lower end card (3060/6600/XT) to replace the 980Ti I have in my HTPC as well as an older gen cpu (5600/x) to replace the 2200G currently in there.

Wow, used GPU prices on E-bay are absolute garbage. Was really expecting to be able to nab something for $100 each GPU and CPU but I'm looking at prices closer to $150-$175.

Reactions: Thunder 57 and ZGR

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
$100 for a CPU should be doable, for something like a used 5600 or a Zen 2 CPU. GPUs will likely be a bit more for the cards you mentioned, unless there is something wrong with them.

But if it is a HTPC, why not swap the CPU to a 5600G and skip the video card?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
$100 for a CPU should be doable, for something like a used 5600 or a Zen 2 CPU. GPUs will likely be a bit more for the cards you mentioned, unless there is something wrong with them.

But if it is a HTPC, why not swap the CPU to a 5600G and skip the video card?
Pretty big step down from a 980 Ti used to game some times. Sounds like it was last being used for Hogwarts :)

That said, while a 6600 is a huuuge step up in terms perf/w, and really absolute perf, the 980Ti is sorta stupidly capable with comparative performance being 1070 & 1660.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Wow, used GPU prices on E-bay are absolute garbage.
Makes sense though, retail is too expensive so demand increases in the used market, leading to higher than expected prices (relative to historical trends).

This might also explain why the GPU market appeared to fall of a cliff in the second half of last year, people were probably buying from somewhere else.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I wonder too, and this is probably not so likely, if given what happened in the last few years has more people putting their "used" card in a drawer for "just in case" vs selling it at a sharp discount.

The folks that had a spare card left over looked like geniuses for a couple years.

If you think it's not worth much to sell - including the hassle - and it might be worth more at some point in the not to distant future, then keeping it becomes easier to justify.

And if you paid ~$500 or so for a 6600, are you going to keep it, maybe even irrationally, longer because so much was spent on it? It's hard for me to separate how much I paid for my 6800 from its "worth" now, especially since I would have to be a dummy and spend $1k again to really step up.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Pretty big step down from a 980 Ti used to game some times. Sounds like it was last being used for Hogwarts :)

That said, while a 6600 is a huuuge step up in terms perf/w, and really absolute perf, the 980Ti is sorta stupidly capable with comparative performance being 1070 & 1660.

- Exactly.

Frankly the 980Ti is ok in terms of the performance I'm looking for (maybe kneecapped a bit by the 4 core 2200G) but in terms of heat and power crammed into a relatively tiny Silverstone Sugo case... yeesh I can hear it screaming in pain anytime the wife plays Hogwarts.

Next game on tap for her is likely The Expanse Telltale game, so not very demanding.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
@blckgrffn

I think it's more that few people are upgrading.

Yeah. Frankly the options are fairly stagnant and terrible compared to what they have been for what, a year plus now in terms of perf/$? Which in my mind is always going to be step 1 for many people.

And what we are likely to get at the same price points look more... power efficient, not that much faster. That's probably not going to move the needle on current gen owners either.

Reactions: Ranulf

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Begs the question. What are annual sales if most users upgrade as a last resort? The GPU makers might be digging their own grave.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Things are improving, however, thanks to nvidia pricing 40 series sky high ebay prices remain fairly stubborn. The best place to look is your local marketplace. If you're in a major metropolitan area keep checking facebook marketplace/offerup/craigslist. You cut ebay middleman out of transaction and don't have to pay tax. I nabbed MSI Trio X 6800XT for $400 out the door. Nothing new or used on ebay comes close to this value wise.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Things are improving, however, thanks to nvidia pricing 40 series sky high ebay prices remain fairly stubborn. The best place to look is your local marketplace. If you're in a major metropolitan area keep checking facebook marketplace/offerup/craigslist. You cut ebay middleman out of transaction and don't have to pay tax. I nabbed MSI Trio X 6800XT for $400 out the door. Nothing new or used on ebay comes close to this value wise.

Got a 6700XT for $230 a while back. These are the kind of deals I used to drive all over the metro for, but mostly sticking to CL these days after some weird FB Marketplace experiences.

No sales tax on second hand, non-business sales either. As it should be ;)

Reactions: Ranulf

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
And what we are likely to get at the same price points look more... power efficient, not that much faster. That's probably not going to move the needle on current gen owners either.
I've never heard someone say they wanted to upgrade just because of efficiency.

Reactions: blckgrffn

SteinFG

Dec 29, 2021
I've never heard someone say they wanted to upgrade just because of efficiency.
Slightly disagree on that one. You may not want to upgrade because of efficiency, but if you have to upgrade, power consuption is one of determining factors when buying.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Slightly disagree on that one. You may not want to upgrade because of efficiency, but if you have to upgrade, power consuption is one of determining factors when buying.
You don't actually seem to disagree with me at all there. You argue the same as me, that people factor in efficiency once they already decided to upgrade (usually to get more performance), but that they don't upgrade just to get efficiency.

For example, I've never seen people upgrade from a 1080 Ti to a 6600 XT, even when they are complaining about power consumption, though the latter is way more efficient, while being almost exactly as fast.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Sure - we used to have more ppl from Europe on the forum who would that (because of high electricity prices). Also, some folks with mITX systems.

That does make some sense, but many of these current Gen cards already benefit from power tuning in a big way.

This is likely true of the newer cards too but if power is a big concern it can already be addressed to some degree with effort and no extra money spent.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Sure - we used to have more ppl from Europe on the forum who would that (because of high electricity prices). Also, some folks with mITX systems.
I'm from the EU and from a country with above average (for the EU) electricity prices. And yet I still don't see people upgrade just for efficiency.