Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 137 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
I finally gave up waiting for prices to drop and settled for an Intel Arc 770 Limited. Finally after 1 1/2 years of onboard video I will have a GPU to install in my new computer build. Now I will look for my next one in about 7 or 8 years.
My 980gtx lasted 8 years until I sold it on eBay last year.
In my 2nd (3dvision) gaming rig I still have the 1080-ti gtx running strong on Windows 7 but Steam already notified me it will stop support Wins 7 at the end of 2023.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
My 980gtx lasted 8 years until I sold it on eBay last year.
In my 2nd (3dvision) gaming rig I still have the 1080-ti gtx running strong on Windows 7 but Steam already notified me it will stop support Wins 7 at the end of 2023.
Im not a big time gamer anyway. I decided on the A770 because I have a Canon 1dx Mark II that records video up to 4K and I figured the Intel card could do a good job for video editing software.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Im not a big time gamer anyway. I decided on the A770 because I have a Canon 1dx Mark II that records video up to 4K and I figured the Intel card could do a good job for video editing software.

Im actually waiting for the Ark Pro A60's to come out to replace my A2000.
Id rather have a super quicksync ard then a NVENC card for encoding.

Problem is i just cant seem to find them out yet, and i hope they go for the MSRP price stated.

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
Im actually waiting for the Ark Pro A60's to come out to replace my A2000.
Id rather have a super quicksync ard then a NVENC card for encoding.

Problem is i just cant seem to find them out yet, and i hope they go for the MSRP price stated.
Definitely looks like an interesting alternative

Reactions: aigomorla

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
Had it for about 12 hours, sent it back to B&H for a full refund. Not gonna spend half my life tryna get the damned thing to run even 10 minutes on Ghost Recon Gold. Hell my onboard Intel video plays it at full 1440 and max everything but the A770 would lock up in 10 minutes and my system ran very hot. Not worth a near 400 dollar headache. IMHO. Ill just stick with the onboard UH750 untill hell freezes over or prices come down. LOL

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Had it for about 12 hours, sent it back to B&H for a full refund. Not gonna spend half my life tryna get the damned thing to run even 10 minutes on Ghost Recon Gold. Hell my onboard Intel video plays it at full 1440 and max everything but the A770 would lock up in 10 minutes and my system ran very hot. Not worth a near 400 dollar headache. IMHO. Ill just stick with the onboard UH750 untill hell freezes over or prices come down. LOL
Hmmmm, gen 11 system? Did you enable resizable bar?

Feb 4, 2009
Drivers have vastly improved these cards and I believe they are $300-ish today

Reactions: pcslookout

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
Hmmmm, gen 11 system? Did you enable resizable bar?
Of course. And if you didnt know it will only work with Display port 2.0 on your monitor. At least that was the way it was on my monitor which only has version 1.4. It didnt work at all on those ports with my LG so I could only use HDMI

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yes he seems to have a stable environment and Im glad for him.
I try the 32bit and 64bit DXVK files before I give up on a game. So far only one game hasn't run, and a couple are less than what I'd like. ARC is still a mixed bag, no doubt about it. I am posting on the system now; I have been using it as my main system for right at a month. Black Hawk Down was the only game that didn't run. OG Crysis is not up to par, same with a couple of other games. Newer games are excellent.

The daily driver experience has been impressive. The latest beta drivers did have a weird crash involving a reset of the UEFI. For some reason, CSM was enabled too. Everything has been stable other than that. But I am thinking it was the Intel drivers that made the system crap the bed. It has been stable with every other driver version I used. And the security update from Gigabyte for the UEFI vulnerability, has been on my system since June 1st. So I don't think it's responsible. Seeing as everything was great until I installed the latest betas.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I try the 32bit and 64bit DXVK files before I give up on a game. So far only one game hasn't run, and a couple are less than what I'd like. ARC is still a mixed bag, no doubt about it. I am posting on the system now; I have been using it as my main system for right at a month. Black Hawk Down was the only game that didn't run. OG Crysis is not up to par, same with a couple of other games. Newer games are excellent.

The daily driver experience has been impressive. The latest beta drivers did have a weird crash involving a reset of the UEFI. For some reason, CSM was enabled too. Everything has been stable other than that. But I am thinking it was the Intel drivers that made the system crap the bed. It has been stable with every other driver version I used. And the security update from Gigabyte for the UEFI vulnerability, has been on my system since June 1st. So I don't think it's responsible. Seeing as everything was great until I installed the latest betas.
I would like to see Intel bring some more uplift to the ARC cards performance. Obviously compatibility is important for old games. Has Intel's last few driver releases plateaued? Or are the making real world improvements with each new driver?

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Isn't one of the main problems for ARC that it is build for DX12, but is only powerful enough to run older DX11 titles, which is kind of hit and miss?

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Any reason not just to get a RX 6750XT for $380?

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
Isn't one of the main problems for ARC that it is build for DX12, but is only powerful enough to run older DX11 titles, which is kind of hit and miss?
Ehhh, no. The A770 is faster than a 3060 and is especially good at 1440p, beating a 6600 XT. That is perfectly fine, if the price is good.

The bigger issue is that there are still a lot of driver issues, as Tech Yes City just reviewed. So I'd get an AMD card instead just to not have these issues.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Or are the making real world improvements with each new driver?
They continue to improve with every iteration. Wherever they concentrate their efforts, good things are happening. For instance: they just massively improved performance in Assassin's Creed Unity and F1 '22.

For older games ARC <does jedi hand wave> isn't the card you're looking for. Well, probably not for many at least. Even GTA5 is a little disappointing. Can't max everything at 1080. It doesn't like distance scaling or high MSAA. Not that it isn't a good experience, it's just underwhelming. My GTX 1080 can outperform it in most old titles, and without any compatibility issues.

If I were looking to play older games maxed out, I'd buy a RX 6600. $180 BNIB with warranty. Why find out how much life any of the $75-$150ish GTX cards have left in them? Not worth it IMO. And stay far away from Vega56/64 since the HBM was probably getting hammered for 2 crypto booms.

For the $200 I paid, for modern titles, the A750 is a killer card. Productivity, content creation, all that jazz, ain't my BBQ.

Jul 27, 2020
For the $200 I paid, for modern titles, the A750 is a killer card.
Howz the fan noise? Does it get annoyingly loud when playing at Ultra settings with 4K XeSS in a modern title? (I'm assuming the XeSS would invoke the AI accelerator portion of the GPU, causing it to heat up more than usual)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Howz the fan noise? Does it get annoyingly loud when playing at Ultra settings with 4K XeSS in a modern title? (I'm assuming the XeSS would invoke the AI accelerator portion of the GPU, causing it to heat up more than usual)
I don't have a 4K display. 1440 is it. But I have only used the A750 at 1080 to date. Modern games have no problem getting it to full utilization to stress it.

I am using the silent fan profile for the CPU and case fans, and the system is very quiet when not gaming. My card has no coil whine, and the fans make an air whooshing when ramped. There is none of that annoying pitch some fans produce. I can hear it when it's working hard, if the game sounds are quiet, from the 10ft I am sitting from it, it is a soft white noise at this distance.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Something like 30dB?
I'm terrible at that kind of evaluation. Can't say. I do know I can't take the noise levels of PCs, that I once thought of as normal. I am not a silent PC guy, but quiet is a must. It was hard to make myself buy a RX 6800 because of the 2 power connectors, which usually means heat and noise levels I don't like. But the XFX is so overbuilt it has not been an issue.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You should try 1440p. It might give higher fps than 1080p coz their architecture flies higher the more pixels it has to work with.
Yeah, I have seen the benchmarks. I don't like sitting in the office chair any longer than necessary. My knees start to hurt after a couple of hours. Can't spend 43yrs+ throwing eleventy million kicks and not have to deal with it. Having my feet up here in the power recliner typing on my ROCCAT is therapeutic. I am putting off my 4K gaming TV for reasons unknown even to myself. o_O

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
What do you think of an RTX A4000 16GB for 380.00 used. Found a seller with a few like new at that price. Looks like it might be good for video editing.