Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 129 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
Profanity is not permitted in the tech forums
They are also cannibalizing the future and setting Intel up for success.
Exactly and exactly why we shouldn't be redacted on intel's graphics issues. We need a third player. We don't have to buy intel if its crap, we do need to root for them to make something great.

Last edited by a moderator:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Didn't Intel kick Raja in the gut and throw him in the dog house? Heard he got demoted for producing Vega 2.0.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I see Newegg had a sapphire 6800xt for $530-$20 code briefly on Feb 3rd. Back order status now.

Reactions: ZGR

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I can get a 4090 MSI gaming trio at $1599 at newegg right now(thats MSRP), but $20 shipping. Going in vacation soon, will look when I get back.

Reactions: blckgrffn

adamge

Aug 15, 2022
This has been a lull in the entertainment value of the GPU market.

In other news, prices remain high and availability poor in Canada - worse than Black Friday 2022.

Reactions: ZGR

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Suckers keep on sucking. Until that stops prices will remain in the sucker zone.
I partially blame r/PCMR and some of the other sub Reddits for it. Posting pics of your new overpriced GPU there, is a good way to karma farm. I don't understand why they care about it, but I acknowledge that they do. Each one that does it, and gets upvoted, helps perpetuate the behavior.

Then they post about how they bought an expensive GPU and use it to play the same old games they were playing on their last card. Or hardly ever use it for gaming, because adulting gets in the way. That gets up voted too, and the karma farming endorphins get released I guess. The layers of guerilla marketing, and positive feedback loop, are simply too much for these people to resist.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I partially blame r/PCMR and some of the other sub Reddits for it. Posting pics of your new overpriced GPU there, is a good way to karma farm. I don't understand why they care about it, but I acknowledge that they do. Each one that does it, and gets upvoted, helps perpetuate the behavior.

Then they post about how they bought an expensive GPU and use it to play the same old games they were playing on their last card. Or hardly ever use it for gaming, because adulting gets in the way. That gets up voted too, and the karma farming endorphins get released I guess. The layers of guerilla marketing, and positive feedback loop, are simply too much for these people to resist.
I'd rather build computers than game on them anyway, so that makes sense to me.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

LOL that makes me feel bad for playing the hell out of Arcade Paradise where you transform a dingy laundromat to a top notch arcade on my 6700 XT. Game is so addicting I have stopped playing Control for a few days.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Just when we were becoming a little giddy with the collapse of mining. :p

NVIDIA AI GPUs Might Face Shortages Due To Increase Demand From AI Giants Utilizing ChatGPT & Other AI Generation Tools

Not sure that would impact gaming GPUs. Unless nVidia moved wafer allocation to Tesla chips instead of gaming GPUs.

If that is the case, it could actually be good for gamers, as that would give the chance for AMD to take back market share. And having market share be more even between the 3 companies is what would be best for gamers. The absolute worst thing for gamers is for nVidia retain their near monopoly.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Not sure that would impact gaming GPUs. Unless nVidia moved wafer allocation to Tesla chips instead of gaming GPUs.
Exactly that on my mind. Any huge demand in one area of their business will likely take away wafers from a slow area. Any tech business of that nature will have to have that flexibility built in.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Exactly that on my mind. Any huge demand in one area of their business will likely take away wafers from a slow area. Any tech business of that nature will have to have that flexibility built in.
Isn't TSMC operating well bellow capacity though?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
For 6N/7N, not for 5N.
Why not 5N? We know they faced order cancellations or negotiated delays from multiple major players, including Nvidia and AMD. DigiTimes is also reporting something that fits this picture. I can see how the hype can create a temporary shortage until production gets adjusted, but I'm more skeptic when it comes to affecting gaming products, unless some companies decide it makes more sense to use consumer hardware for cheaper compute.

That being said, Nvidia may very well shift their orders towards pro chips instead of increasing overall production, after all they're trying to teach us a lesson. I just doubt TSMC capacity will be the problem.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022
I had heard that it was just 5N, but I may be wrong.

If so, there shouldn't be a production limitation for Nvidia & AMD. It would also make sense for TSMC to give temporary discounts to increase demand, which can then be passed on to customers, if that is still a thing.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I had heard that it was just 5N, but I may be wrong.

If so, there shouldn't be a production limitation for Nvidia & AMD. It would also make sense for TSMC to give temporary discounts to increase demand, which can then be passed on to customers, if that is still a thing.

If by "customers" you mean "share holders", then you are spot on.