Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 27, 2020
I hate to say it but Radeon being bad for resale in UAE just got me a used Gigabyte RX 6800 Aorus Master for $258. Swanky 2.5 slot card with an LED screen to display GPU temp or whatever:

1676543537439.png
Max temp at room temp so far 70C with 61% fans.

I feel grateful.

Love the Radeon drivers. And that popup to select Radeon Chill/Super Resolution and other stuff, that's really neat. I don't think Nvidia has anything like that. Or at least, it didn't show any popup when I was using the 3090.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I hate to say it but Radeon being bad for resale in UAE just got me a used Gigabyte RX 6800 Aorus Master for $258. Swanky 2.5 slot card with an LED screen to display GPU temp or whatever:

View attachment 76615
Max temp at room temp so far 70C with 61% fans.

I feel grateful.

Love the Radeon drivers. And that popup to select Radeon Chill/Super Resolution and other stuff, that's really neat. I don't think Nvidia has anything like that. Or at least, it didn't show any popup when I was using the 3090.

nVidia's driver UI has not changed in over a decade. putting aside the drivers themselves, the Radeon UI experience certainly feels more modern and premium. When I open up my nVidia control panel I get a Windows 2000 era window with all the settings. I guess it can be argued that its light weight, but I greatly prefer the experience of AMD's settings app.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I was selling a computer with a Ref 6700XT in it, and the person who ended up buying it asked if I could put in an Nvidia card. I said that I had a TUF 1660 Super but that was it. He went ahead with the swap, didn't ask for a discount.

You ain't joking.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
BestBuy price cuts (MSRP → new price):
  • GeForce RTX 3090 Ti: $1999.99 → $879.99
  • GeForce RTX 3080 Ti: $1199.99 → $719.99
  • GeForce RTX 3080: $699.99 → $419.99
  • GeForce RTX 3070: $599.99
  • GeForce RTX 3060 Ti: $399.99
  • GeForce RTX 3060: $329.99 → $299.99
The US retailer is running clearance discounts on GeForce RTX 30 cards from NVIDIA.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I hate to say it but Radeon being bad for resale in UAE just got me a used Gigabyte RX 6800 Aorus Master for $258

repaste and repad that thing immediately.
Also inspect indentations on pad to make sure everything is touching heatsink that needs to be touched.
Give the PCB a good alcohol wipe and then put everything back together, after inspecting for any burn or damage marks.

There is a lot of stuff you should do when getting a used GPU, and repad and retim is definitely on the top of the list.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
The US retailer is running clearance discounts on GeForce RTX 30 cards from NVIDIA.

Couldn't find any of those cards at those prices when I checked - they're still charging $200 for Totaltech on these as well.

Reactions: blckgrffn

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I was selling a computer with a Ref 6700XT in it, and the person who ended up buying it asked if I could put in an Nvidia card. I said that I had a TUF 1660 Super but that was it. He went ahead with the swap, didn't ask for a discount.

You ain't joking.

Ouch. I upgraded from a 1660 Super to a 6700 XT a couple of months ago and it's a night and day difference. Like in Elden Ring I'd have lots of frame drops at 1080p60 high on my 1660 Super but with my 6700 XT I'd have everything maxed out except motion blur (which I always turn off) and it was blasting through the entire game at 1800p60. There was only one fight in the entire game, against a walking mausoleum that shoots ice magic at you, that ever gave any serious frame drops on that 6700 XT at 1800p near max settings.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

LOL $299 is about what I'd pay for a 3070.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
repaste and repad that thing immediately.
Also inspect indentations on pad to make sure everything is touching heatsink that needs to be touched.
Give the PCB a good alcohol wipe and then put everything back together, after inspecting for any burn or damage marks.

There is a lot of stuff you should do when getting a used GPU, and repad and retim is definitely on the top of the list.

Man I’ve probably bought a couple hundred used GPUs and never done any of that. I am not into opening them unless needed.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
LOL $299 is about what I'd pay for a 3070.

3080 at $420 tho? I mean, it’s like splitting the gap between 6700XT and 6800. In my experience you are probably wanting a bit more PSU and case cooling with the 3080 but still a lot of card. Too bad it’s the 10GB. Jumping to the 3080ti is $300? Lmao.

Also I can’t find these deals at all in the land of Best Buy that I live in.

Reactions: ZGR

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
3080 at $420 tho? I mean, it’s like splitting the gap between 6700XT and 6800. In my experience you are probably wanting a bit more PSU and case cooling with the 3080 but still a lot of card. Too bad it’s the 10GB. Jumping to the 3080ti is $300? Lmao.

The picture showing the prices shows Sold Out or Unavailable for everything but the 3090Ti. The deals were so limited that they ran out before posting.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Man I’ve probably bought a couple hundred used GPUs and never done any of that. I am not into opening them unless needed.

I always repaste and repad my GPU's every 2 years or if i sell them to family, or trade them away as a service.
It makes the cards last longer, makes them run cooler, and hence i don't get the annoying phone call or the karma that i sold them a bad card.

But you should really put in the effort to repad and repaste at least every 2 yrs, which is what most TIM's life is. After the high cycle count of on and off the TIM will dry out over time, and then start creating gaps.
Adding a fresh TIM and repad it, will definitely extend the life of the card.

Also its good practice to blow out the heatsink, as you will collect dust in it over time, unless you live in a clean room.

Blaze it.

I think you had to be stoned to see the price tag and GPU's.

Because 420 for a 3080 is a price too good to be true.

Reactions: Avalon and Pohemi

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Gotta be honest, 3080 is too much gpu for me. I had such a hard time keeping my house cool last summer, and have no desire for a 320W card like the 3080. Though to be fair last summer was the hottest summer ever recorded in my area (San Antonio, Tx). Though at $420 I probably would have jumped and just undervolted and power limited the hell out of the card once May rolls around I guess (will probably still do that in the summer with my 6700 XT if this summer is even half as bad as last one was).

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012

The last card I -had- to do something about was my HD4850. I don't know what kind cheap **** TIM the OEM had used, but the result was after 1.5-2 years the TIM had turned into literal dust. I couldn't understand the extreme temperatures I was seeing, so I decided to to pull the cooler off and check. Good thing I did. A good reapplication of new TIM solved things straight away, and it ran fine for a couple of years after.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Gotta be honest, 3080 is too much gpu for me. I had such a hard time keeping my house cool last summer, and have no desire for a 320W card like the 3080. Though to be fair last summer was the hottest summer ever recorded in my area (San Antonio, Tx). Though at $420 I probably would have jumped and just undervolted and power limited the hell out of the card once May rolls around I guess (will probably still do that in the summer with my 6700 XT if this summer is even half as bad as last one was).

No joke. I was a GPU Hunter during the Mining Wars of 2020-2022 and brought down two trophy 3080's on our forum here for not stupid prices. One for a cousin in Washington, the other for a local friend. Local guy has an office that is maybe 8*12. Maybe. He upgraded from a 580 8GB and immediately got to invest an additional ~$60 in new 14cm fans as his old school Antec hotboxed the card.

Then, that PC hotboxed his office, and he now can sauna and game at the same time. He plays 4k native on TV monitor and that thing is running full tilt all the time. He's got little ones so he prefers to keep the door shut if he can.

Another really good friend of mine that is a bachelor in his own house put in a split unit for his similarly sized office, and it's not to heat it. While I am jealous on the one hand, that's also crazy commitment to the bit on the other. PC gaming is his thing though.

That brought me back to the days of my 290X making me sweat and I realized that I don't need that in my life either. It might be a silly line in the sand, but I prefer my GPUs under 200W, and CPU under 100W at the same time is a nice limit too.

The last card I -had- to do something about was my HD4850. I don't know what kind cheap **** TIM the OEM had used, but the result was after 1.5-2 years the TIM had turned into literal dust. I couldn't understand the extreme temperatures I was seeing, so I decided to to pull the cooler off and check. Good thing I did. A good reapplication of new TIM solved things straight away, and it ran fine for a couple of years after.

Perfect justification for GPU surgery, imo.

Early in my PC tinkering days I killed a beautiful Ti 4400 with an errant slip of a screwdriver. I realized then that the most dangerous thing to a GPU was my tools, static discharge and my own potential lack of attention to detail, so I just don't tempt fate without justification.

I am all about using some canned air to keep the heatsink relatively clean, however. Usually I will just carry the whole PC outside for that exercise even.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I realized then that the most dangerous thing to a GPU was my tools

MAH i did the mistake of trying to pull off a heatsink cold... a lesson never to do, always try to heat the sink up a little before you pull it off, or you risk ripping the die right off as well.

But ive pulled so many heat sinks, and repaded so many GPU's i could do it with my eyes closed now.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
MAH i did the mistake of trying to pull off a heatsink cold... a lesson never to do, always try to heat the sink up a little before you pull it off, or you risk ripping the die right off as well.

But ive pulled so many heat sinks, and repaded so many GPU's i could do it with my eyes closed now.

This was one issue at play with my Ti death. Stone cold. Needed to be warm, and I got impatient.

Remember how comically small those heatsinks were? I think it had those little plastic pins instead of screws and just on two corners. I using the wrong tool (screwdriver) to try to push the pins in each on side that expanded once that plastic retainer was pushed through. Too much pressure, screw driver skipped along the surface of the card until it hit... something, and that something left the board and the card never displayed video again.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
This is probably going to sound like a dumb question, but is there any way to install a full size video card EXTERNALLY for a small form factor or tiny PC? (or would I basically need to create a larger case)

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Thanks for that info, but yikes, pricey! I might see if I can just bend some sheet metal and essentially change my small form factor desktop case into essentially a standard case that way......

Reactions: psolord

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Just a PSA on external GPU's.
They require either Thunderbolt or USB 3.2 protocol.
They are not as fast as even running the GPU in PCI-E 3.0 4x.
They can cause a lot of headaches getting it to run properly.

I used to endorse them for laptops. Because when your outside you do not need a monster GPU killing your battery life. However the end result was me giving up gaming laptop entirely, as one shouldn't really go down that road, as trying to get both worlds, means best at nothing. So portable should be best at portable, and gaming should be best at gaming.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
Just a PSA on external GPU's.
They require either Thunderbolt of USB 3.2 protocol.
They are not as fast as even running the GPU in PCI-E 3.0 4x.
They can cause a lot of headaches getting it to run properly.

I used to endorse them for laptops. Because when your outside you do not need a monster GPU killing your battery life. However the end result was me giving up gaming laptop entirely, as one shouldn't really go down that road, as trying to get both worlds, means best at nothing. So portable should be best at portable, and gaming should be best at gaming.
While I haven’t done a gaming laptop or external card. You summarized what I’ve always felt about gaming laptops really well. Basically laptops are made to be portable & power efficient. Gaming desktops are made to be powerful and power hungry. Kind of hard to make one be the other.
Laptops are great if you need smaller size or portability. Other than that I see no reason for them.
Sorry for the off topic rant.

Reactions: SMOGZINN