Question are video card prices headed down yet?

Page 131 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
While I haven’t done a gaming laptop or external card. You summarized what I’ve always felt about gaming laptops really well. Basically laptops are made to be portable & power efficient. Gaming desktops are made to be powerful and power hungry. Kind of hard to make one be the other.
Laptops are great if you need smaller size or portability. Other than that I see no reason for them.
Sorry for the off topic rant.

-Gaming on a laptop has always been like camping to me. It's kinda fun to run games at low settings, tweaking what you can to squeeze out 30 FPS.

Been running my GTX1050 laptop for years now and it's always been a great retro/patient gaming machine and making newer stuff run well is almost like a puzzle.

In short I agree, but having something better than an Intel iGPU is a must for me, but never anything even mid range or high end, the $$$ to sense ratio just isn't there.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Being the brain damaged lunatic I am, I already broke my vow to not buy used parts on Ebay.

AMD APU prices were derptastically high during the dark times. As with anything including graphics you can game on. I am here to report that prices have fallen massively on the first gen parts. Picked up a Ryzen pro 2400G for $50 shipped on Ebay. Could have gotten the whole system for $65-70 more, but have no use for OEM boxes. Most of the newer APUs I looked at were still overpriced. May as well pay a little more for a 5600G over any of them.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Being the brain damaged lunatic I am, I already broke my vow to not buy used parts on Ebay.

AMD APU prices were derptastically high during the dark times. As with anything including graphics you can game on. I am here to report that prices have fallen massively on the first gen parts. Picked up a Ryzen pro 2400G for $50 shipped on Ebay. Could have gotten the whole system for $65-70 more, but have no use for OEM boxes. Most of the newer APUs I looked at were still overpriced. May as well pay a little more for a 5600G over any of them.

-Prices on standard 5xxx series are really quite good right now. ~$100 for a 5600x, ~$175 for a 5800x.

Solid drop in upgrades so long as you can bring the graphics.

Wife's HWL PC has a 2200g and my old 980ti. Tempted to drop in a better CPU given the extremely low resolution the game is rendered at with FSR etc.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
-Prices on standard 5xxx series are really quite good right now. ~$100 for a 5600x, ~$175 for a 5800x.

Solid drop in upgrades so long as you can bring the graphics.

Wife's HWL PC has a 2200g and my old 980ti. Tempted to drop in a better CPU given the extremely low resolution the game is rendered at with FSR etc.

You could get a big step up for maybe $60 after tax/after flip. The 2200G is not W11 compliant, right? I’d part ways with it earlier rather than later. We’ve got a couple at work but a 5600G is such a good value and so much faster in so many ways I am not too sad.

I don’t know if there would be a better time to do it. I would even consider the 5600G just in case you wanted to drop back to integrated graphics.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I don’t know if there would be a better time to do it. I would even consider the 5600G just in case you wanted to drop back to integrated graphics.

At current prices here in Denmark, the 5600G is really a no-brainer. It makes everything else look overpriced. The only problem is that you can get a 5700X or G (your choice, same price) for just ~33% more.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
You could get a big step up for maybe $60 after tax/after flip. The 2200G is not W11 compliant, right? I’d part ways with it earlier rather than later. We’ve got a couple at work but a 5600G is such a good value and so much faster in so many ways I am not too sad.

3200/3400G chips aren't much more and should be win11 compliant. The second gen stuff will get even cheaper that I may buy one for $25 as a server cpu to free up a pci-e slot. I'd prefer a 3rd gen ryzen or 5600/5700g at this point though. I was looking at refurb laptops recently and I'm seeing a lot of stuff getting the fire sale treatment because its 6th and 7th gen intel cpus that aren't win 11 compliant. I saw a Dell refurbed workstation laptop for $300 with a 7th gen xeon 4c/8t with some quadro card. Not 11 compliant. 8th gen i5 dell lattitude office laptop for sub $200 though is win11 compatible. Yay, microsoft.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I was restraining my remarks to APUs since they have iGPUs capable of playing most games. That way they are relevant to GPU prices falling.

I think the lack of official support for win11 is why the OG Ryzen APUs are so cheap. Plus the fact that companies are retiring the OEM boxes with them as a consequence. Of course, for our crowd, there are a number of really simple methods for upgrading to 11. The method I used with this one in a Deskmini today, was that I simply took a batch file from github, that tells it to skip the compliance check. Made it a command file, then upgraded a fresh copy of 10 using the win11 ISO. Easy peasy and it runs great.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

The 5600G I had did 4.7GHz all core with the iGPU having a 400MHz OC as well. Absolute beast for what it cost now. ASRock decided to not include support in the OG A300, and I read they even withdrew support for 4 series APUs. Besides, the 5600g is almost 3x the cost of the 2400g which would have killed the value of this project. Also, I already have a 5700G if I pick up the newer X300 for under $100 down the road. I overpaid, or rather paid OG MSRP, for both my Cezanne, as it was before the price drops.

Reactions: Leeea and blckgrffn

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
I hate to say it but Radeon being bad for resale in UAE just got me a used Gigabyte RX 6800 Aorus Master for $258. Swanky 2.5 slot card with an LED screen to display GPU temp or whatever:

View attachment 76615
Max temp at room temp so far 70C with 61% fans.

I feel grateful.

Love the Radeon drivers. And that popup to select Radeon Chill/Super Resolution and other stuff, that's really neat. I don't think Nvidia has anything like that. Or at least, it didn't show any popup when I was using the 3090.

Wait, didnt you see that popup triple dollar sign on the 3090? I see one every time I check on the current prices.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
3200/3400G chips aren't much more and should be win11 compliant. The second gen stuff will get even cheaper that I may buy one for $25 as a server cpu to free up a pci-e slot. I'd prefer a 3rd gen ryzen or 5600/5700g at this point though. I was looking at refurb laptops recently and I'm seeing a lot of stuff getting the fire sale treatment because its 6th and 7th gen intel cpus that aren't win 11 compliant. I saw a Dell refurbed workstation laptop for $300 with a 7th gen xeon 4c/8t with some quadro card. Not 11 compliant. 8th gen i5 dell lattitude office laptop for sub $200 though is win11 compatible. Yay, microsoft.

I got an HP Zbook 17 G4 last year for 400.00 shipped on Ebay. It was in like new condition. It has an I7 7820HQ processor which is only supported by Windows 11 if it was on a Microsoft Surface.. go figure. But I installed Win 11 on it anyway and it works like a dream. I also upgraded it to 64mb of DDR4 and two NVMe hdd. It came with a P3000 video card which was good enough for my use and loads of other features. I also got the Thunderbolt 3 Dock
add on for another $50.00 NIB. I wont need another laptop for 8 or 10 years.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I got an HP Zbook 17 G4 last year for 400.00 shipped on Ebay. It was in like new condition. It has an I7 7820HQ processor which is only supported by Windows 11 if it was on a Microsoft Surface.. go figure. But I installed Win 11 on it anyway and it works like a dream. I also upgraded it to 64mb of DDR4 and two NVMe hdd. It came with a P3000 video card which was good enough for my use and loads of other features. I also got the Thunderbolt 3 Dock
add on for another $50.00 NIB. I wont need another laptop for 8 or 10 years.
Precisely. You can put win11 on anything that can run 10 using the method I described. You can setup a USB stick to skip the check for a fresh install too. Win11 compliance makes sense for biz, but for us home users, it isn't an important consideration IMO.

GPU prices are holding fairly steady with AMD having the best deals. The Best Buy pricing was a joke; ones of people got cards at those prices. I check my local region a couple of times a week, and none of those cards have been available since the last holiday season. Made for good propaganda though. Tim from HUB used it in his GPU pricing update the other day. It completely skewed the chart. He is down under, so probably doesn't realize what a unicorn those $420 cards were.

Last edited:

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
I installed 11 on my old Elitebook that was running Win 10, and it was dog slow for some reason so I reverted it back to 10.

Reactions: scineram

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Precisely. You can put win11 on anything that can run 10 using the method I described. You can setup a USB stick to skip the check for a fresh install too. Win11 compliance makes sense for biz, but for us home users, it isn't an important consideration IMO.

https://www.techspot.com/news/97683...arks-start-appearing-unsupported-systems.html

It would appear MS is trying to crack down on that, unfortunately. We'll have to see what it means in practice, if at all. Or if it's just a "don't expect support" waiver.

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
https://www.techspot.com/news/97683...arks-start-appearing-unsupported-systems.html

It would appear MS is trying to crack down on that, unfortunately. We'll have to see what it means in practice, if at all. Or if it's just a "don't expect support" waiver.
I havent seen any issues like that with my laptop but I do note that it does have TPM 2.0, UEFI Bios. All the Windows updates are installed and Intel updates, and HP updates for Windows 11. However I did note that when the 22621 22H2 build came out, it did not update by Windows Update. I had to download it and fresh install it and reinstall all my software. A bit inconvenient.

Jul 27, 2020
Here's a thought: what if the bad GPU prices have shrunk the PC gamer market significantly, from some gamers switching to consoles or other hobbies and others just replaying their favorites over and over again on their existing hardware that still gives them commendable service?

mastertech01

Nov 13, 1999
I know this much. The latest Microsoft Flight Simulator plays just fine in high detail on my onboard UHD750 Intel processor at 1440. I may not need a stinking video card!

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Here's a thought: what if the bad GPU prices have shrunk the PC gamer market significantly, from some gamers switching to consoles or other hobbies and others just replaying their favorites over and over again on their existing hardware that still gives them commendable service?
It probably has, take that along with old GPUs still being good enough for most people. Almost any game will play well on a 1060 at 1080p medium settings, so for many people the extreme prices are making them hold on to their old equipment and just lower their settings.
If prices came back to reasonable levels you would probably see a lot of people upgrading, but as it stands most will live with what they have until it dies.
Thier pricing scheme is making people go from upgrading every other generation to upgrading every 5-6 generations or longer.
I'm on a 1070ti and would like to upgrade but won't pay the stupid prices they want for current gen video cards.
So, I'm pretty much resigned to keeping my current card until it dies or a reasonably priced 4k card comes around, because I see no reason to upgrade to play games at 1080p.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
There are a lot of games I play on my Ryzen APUs because they don't need more than that at 1080. I bought a $500 RX 6800 because I surmise it will age well. It already is comparatively speaking, but you know what I mean. Not interested in anything else other than an ARC card now. Once I can grab one new or used for dirt cheap, it will be mine. The A750 for $200 would be an instabuy, so would the A380 for under $100.

Feb 4, 2009
Probably not, heard this time after time regarding memory or storage or whatever supply disruption.
I think we may see less demanding games in the near future and that’s simply because the publishers probably weren’t so sure when cards would be available and what prices.
Gonna guess anyone with a high end card today will get lots of useful life out of it.

Feb 4, 2009
It probably has, take that along with old GPUs still being good enough for most people. Almost any game will play well on a 1060 at 1080p medium settings, so for many people the extreme prices are making them hold on to their old equipment and just lower their settings.
If prices came back to reasonable levels you would probably see a lot of people upgrading, but as it stands most will live with what they have until it dies.
Thier pricing scheme is making people go from upgrading every other generation to upgrading every 5-6 generations or longer.
I'm on a 1070ti and would like to upgrade but won't pay the stupid prices they want for current gen video cards.
So, I'm pretty much resigned to keeping my current card until it dies or a reasonably priced 4k card comes around, because I see no reason to upgrade to play games at 1080p.
Pretty much me right there. Been wanting to upgrade my display to a 2k or ideally a 4k display, I am staying at 1050 simply because I don’t want to get on the video card treadmill. My current display looks fine imo.

Reactions: Ranulf

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Pretty much me right there. Been wanting to upgrade my display to a 2k or ideally a 4k display, I am staying at 1050 simply because I don’t want to get on the video card treadmill. My current display looks fine imo.
Wouldn't integer scaling work well for you?